I'm VERY angry!

serra

well i hope you will find better way to stop spam.

So do I!

Perhaps when Italy also enacts the European Community anti-spam legislation?

That way an ISP's customers can sue them, if they fail to act, or the spammers, if they can find them, for the amount of unsolicited mail they send.

... and opt out links would work ... and pigs might fly? ;)

I am also a user of the free service (not a customer, nor employee). Anything that reduces the internet bandwidth taken by people abusing the internet is good in my book.

What's wrong with Robin Hood, by the way? He did an excellent job righting wrongs done to the peasant population of old England by authorities that not only did not care, but also condoned the corrupt sherrif of Nottingham and his men.

PS thanks Marjolein for the list of cc: addresses (http://javawoman.com/reportspam.html for anyone who did not catch the newsgroup post).

I think i won't convince you and you won't convince me... ;)

well i hope you will find better way to stop spam.

bye

I don't think I will this one works great.

Good luck I hope your mail works again one day.

It may work great for you, but you fail to understand that any system that cuts off a significant number of innocent people for an extended period of time, is less than perfect.

Spamcop is a vigitante type organisation. There is no information on the site about who runs it. There is no way to communicate with the people who run it.

The Help sections are handled by volunteers who insist that they have no connection with the service - and that is supposed to be a positive, why?

It may work well for you, but to me it looks very scary indeed.

It is my hope that a Deputy or Admin will review the evidence regarding the SCBL listings of 212.216.176.141 and 212.216.176.150 with an eye towards helping the tin.it administrators to stop the spamming, improve the parsing, or both.

We've tried :-(

Richard

Yes, you are right, SpamCop does occasionally block all the mail coming from an Internet Service Provider (ISP). If I understand correctly, this only happens when the administrators of that service have repeatedly refused requests to investigate and/or ban known spammers (a spammer being defined as at least 10 spam reports in 24 hours, given that perhaps less than 0.1% of spam is reported by spamcop users this indicates over 1000 pieces of spam being sent out).

It is the other ISPs, the destination of the eMail, that have decided to use SpamCop to cut down on the eMail entering their system. It is like the Post Office saying "you are sending too many letters without stamps, we are going to refuse your deliveries until you improve your process" (or as my twelve year old son put it, someone abusing the train service by refusing to pay for tickets and placing their baggage on half the seats in the carriage making it difficult for other people to sit down, so the train owner chucks them off the train).

It is less than perfect, but can you think of a better way of encouraging ISPs to investigate the spam?

I can imagine there is one very good reason why there is no information on the site about who runs it (not that I have looked in-depth). That is that the administrators or owners of anti-spam sites have upset a lot of criminals. They tend to find themselves the target not only of hate mail, but also death threats. Would you want to live that way?

The help sections are read by the administrators as well as the volunteers. If you have a genuine problem, such as yours - not knowing how to prevent your eMail being blocked - then either the administrators or, more usually, one of the users of this site, will respond, but, yes, the users tend to be volunteers (customers). I do not pay for the service, as I do not use spamcop's email system, but my mail service providers both use it to block some spam eMails (though I still get 5-20 pieces in any one day).

I can understand how this can look scary from a business perspective. I work with computers on a daily basis and have learnt not to trust eMail as a 100% guaranteed delivery method. Mainly because some people simply do not read their eMail, or do not treat it as a priority so do not respond for days or even weeks. Faxes are treated as important and telephone calls are returned almost instantly. Also, occasionally, there may be network or virus problems that mean the service is not available at all.

Personally, I am more scared of people who can anonymously send eMails with words like "penis" (or worse - I now read my eMails off-line) into my inbox without me being able to know who they are and slap their face for daring to use such a word to a lady!

Please forgive me for asking if I am being intrusive and you do not wish to answer, but I am intrigued. Has your ISP responded to your complaints about blocked eMail? Or, have you decided to move to a less spam-friendly service provider such as the web-based Yahoo or Mail.com (at least for the days your service is blocked)?

It is my hope that a Deputy or Admin will review the evidence regarding the SCBL listings of 212.216.176.141 and 212.216.176.150 with an eye towards helping the tin.it administrators to stop the spamming, improve the parsing, or both.

We've tried :-(

What would you think of adding customercare[at]tin.it to the list of recipients of reports of spam originating at those IP Addresses? These are the same people that have to deal with the irate customers, perhaps they can work for internal change.

It is natural to be upset when something doesn't work as it should. However, there are many people who administer email systems and others who have researched how spam affects email. One of the ways that is most widely used to control spam is blocklists. Spamcop is only one such blocklist.

The reason that blocklists are popular is that if email coming from a particular server has been identified as spam and the operator of that server has been told that spam is coming from his server and if the operator of that server does nothing about it, then the only way to prevent spam from reaching your email system is to block it at your server and return it to the sender. If this means that other customers of the spammy server cannot send email, their problem is with their provider who is acting irresponsibly because he is allowing spam.

And yes, if you cannot convince your provider to stop sending spam, then you need to find a more reliable email provider. There are lots of reliable email services - some of them Internet Service Providers and some of them web based email services (similar to hotmail and yahoo).

If you received a package from a carrier who said that you also had to receive several dirty, greasy packages crawling with bugs, would you receive it? Wouldn't you expect the person who sent you the package to be horrified that the carrier he had chosen was so irresponsible? And immediately arrange for another carrier?

The *sender* of email is the one who can control whether spam is being sent or not. The *sender* of email is responsible for choosing a reliable email carrier.

Miss Betsy

tooangry wrote:

It may work great for you, but you fail to understand that any system that cuts off a significant number of innocent people for an extended period of time, is less than perfect.

Spamcop is a vigitante type organisation. There is no information on the site about who runs it. There is no way to communicate with the people who run it.

SpamCop doesn't "cut" anyone off, it doesn't even use it's database to bounce emails. What is 'vigilante' about sending potential spam to a "held mail" folder if the sender isn't on the intended recipient's whitelist? Besides, who are you to decide how others can choose to manage their incoming email?

The Help sections are handled by volunteers who insist that they have no connection with the service - and that is supposed to be a positive, why?

Right. A help desk manned by minimum wage workers reading from a scri_pt and who barely understand how SpamCop works is so much more preferable to a users group manned by people who understand the basics. Gawd, some of the people answering questions here are experienced email admins - what more could you ask for?

And why would anyone want to work a help desk that would generate the amount of abuse that spammers would thrust upon them?

Archived