Mail down

IMAP and webmail are not working.

https://webmail.spamcop.net/

Same here... IMAP isnt working either... I hope this is fixed soon.. We dont need another major issue for SPAMCOP. Does anyone know another service that does the same thing as spamcop filtered email and is not high priced? I may end up switching.... IM using SPAMCOP to filter email from my domain....

Spamcop is quite inexpensive and highly reliable. I don't recall any "major issues," ever. But like the entire information systems world the system runs on computers and computers fail. It is the nature of the beast. Thinks like this will always come up from time to time and Spamcop **routinely** does an admirable job of handling them. Admittedly they focus more on fixing the problem than informing uses - but that just shows they are establishing good priorities with limited resources.

Spamcop is quite inexpensive and highly reliable. I don't recall any "major issues," ever. But like the entire information systems world the system runs on computers and computers fail. It is the nature of the beast. Thinks like this will always come up from time to time and Spamcop **routinely** does an admirable job of handling them. Admittedly they focus more on fixing the problem than informing uses - but that just shows they are establishing good priorities with limited resources.

I guess you dont remember the major issue where we were down and then lost email that had to be restored from a backup etc? they did sort that all out but none of this should happen. they should have redundant servers and network connections in place in case one crashes...

Same here, I'm sure they'll fix it soon enough.

Browser results:

A fatal error has occurred

Could not connect to database for SQL SessionHandler.

Details have been logged for the administrator.

I guess I wasn't clear. I'm not in a position to judge it as being a major issue though in my opinion it is not. I take it that in your opinion it was a major issue. That's fair. Personally I don't know of any other blocklist provider that provided self-reporting tools, but then again I've never looked as I'm happy with spamcop. Like many people, though, I have a secondary address which I can use if needed though that does not, of course, help with an email sent to me at spamcop.net.

I guess I wasn't clear. I'm not in a position to judge it as being a major issue though in my opinion it is not. I take it that in your opinion it was a major issue. That's fair. Personally I don't know of any other blocklist provider that provided self-reporting tools, but then again I've never looked as I'm happy with spamcop. Like many people, though, I have a secondary address which I can use if needed though that does not, of course, help with an email sent to me at spamcop.net.

I have other email addresses but most people send to my mail one so I cant receive email that is sitting waiting.. I run a business. I have spamcop grab the email and filter it and then I get it from spamcop IMAP server..

It would be nice to see some announcement here and in the Newsgroup. Many of us do not like the Forum.

For me sending email using cesmail has been down for over 4 hours. Receiving email went down sometime later.

I'm having the same issue ... And I'm in the same situation as dahauss. I run a business, and spamcop filters all my email, then I pull it down from there. This means that there's I don't know how much email being held captive at this time that I can't access - and hours are ticking by. My ability to respond to potential customers could mean the difference between getting and losing a job. :(

SpamCop, as far as I know, has never lost mail, but there have been delays (at least one multi-day) getting the system back up after crashes.

I don't have actual data, but my impression from the news over the years is that the major free mail sites have a pretty good record of uptime and of not losing mail.

So if you want both, maybe the best choice is a free mail service that allows you to forward all mail to SpamCop and keep a copy on the free mail server. Then you can use SpamCop for reporting (it seems to work just fine with forwarded mail) and have a fallback in case SpamCop goes down for an extended time.

Like svanslyck, my use of email generally is not time-sensitive. I don't run a business using SpamCop, and I probably wouldn't. If I had a business, I'd probably use a free mail service with forwarding to SpamCop.

It would be nice if CES Mail would let us know what is going on, of course.

The ever-anonymous "Email_Support" is here...just not posting yet. :-(

(update: they just posted that this is a DNS problem and are working on it...in the meantime, I think I'll re-route my mail away from SpamCop, just in case the DNS doesn't get quickly fixed)

I don't run a business using SpamCop, and I probably wouldn't. If I had a business, I'd probably use a free mail service with forwarding to SpamCop

Most folks wouldn't recommend a free email service for any business.

Most folks wouldn't recommend a free email service for any business.

I would never use a free service to run a business.. I have a MAIL server for my domain and SPAMCOP pulls the mail from it and then I go to read it from WEBMAIL or IMAP om SPAMCOP. this started ay 8:00 and its now 11:20 and we finally got a message. SPAMCOP needs a backup DNS server, and pipe so when one goes down, it will automatically switch and we can still access it and we dont even know what happened...

While this has been blamed on upstream DNS, that leaves me scratching my head a little, given that the subdomain, complete with it's secure cert, appear to be resolving just fine, and that the actual error being thrown:

A fatal error has occurred

Could not connect to database for SQL SessionHandler.

Details have been logged for the administrator.

looks much more like something wrong on the actual server. When this gets resolved, a detailed explanation of how I'm wrong in that assumption would be welcome. :-)

We've seen this same error situation on NUMEROUS occasions in the past...here are just a few:

http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=10837

http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=10309

http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=10195

http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=9789

http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=9684

etc.

DT

PS - I realize that post #29 from the Nov. 2008 thread (the second to the last above) contains an explanation from JT, but it involved Akamai, rather than zonedit, so it may be outdated.

Im not judging .. I am looking for an alternative in case this happens again.. this way I can have a backup ..

GMail, I believe, at least on their "corporate" side, has Postini, which does much the same job as SpamCop, except no reporting. I'm not sure how much this costs. I'll stick with SpamCop for now, even if it takes a day or two for email to come back up.

(snip)

PS - I realize that post #29 from the Nov. 2008 thread (the second to the last above) contains an explanation from JT, but it involved Akamai, rather than zonedit, so it may be outdated.

One has to wonder why JT hasn't got his own servers hard-coded in his caching name server if that's the issue that's happening (again.)

GMail, I believe, at least on their "corporate" side, has Postini, which does much the same job as SpamCop, except no reporting. I'm not sure how much this costs.

After you exceed 12 users on your domain, corporate gmail costs $50/month per user.

Once upon a time, the DNSBL was experimental and not recommended for production environments. Now it seems that the mail system has that honor. :P

Just got a phone call from a friend of mine to tell me that emails he had just sent to me were bouncing back....that shouldn't be happening.

If that is the case, it is quite concerning, even for a relatively casual user like me. That counts as "lost email" in my book.

If that is the case, it is quite concerning, even for a relatively casual user like me. That counts as "lost email" in my book.

Now I could be missing work... I checked my account on my server and it is forwarding to SPAMCOP so I need to fix this if it isnt going to be resolved anytime soon...

Archived