DNS outage update 2

Will this be in place before people start receiving "fatal" bounces????? Why can't you at least temporarily restore the current system and *then* move to something else in an orderly fashion?

DT

DNS has been down all day. Mail has been bouncing. We do not serve our own DNS.

DNS has been down all day. Mail has been bouncing. We do not serve our own DNS.

Yes, I understand all that, but IIUC, many sending servers will wait up to 24 hours before notifying the sender that there's a problem on the receiving end. So my question is still valid, if not well stated. IMO, something MUST be in place and fully functional within 24 hours of an outage like this to minimize the collateral damage. That's why I also asked why you can't first restore the existing setup, so that something could be working before that first 24 hour window expires.

DT

The system is back up but a day's worth of spam is missing in action along with emails I know I should have received.

The Email System news states: We discovered and resolved a problem earlier today which was delaying delivery of inbound mail to user mailboxes. No mail was lost and all mail is being delivered.

I trust that means lost mail is being retrieved?

Yes, I understand all that, but IIUC, many sending servers will wait up to 24 hours before notifying the sender that there's a problem on the receiving end. So my question is still valid, if not well stated. IMO, something MUST be in place and fully functional within 24 hours of an outage like this to minimize the collateral damage. That's why I also asked why you can't first restore the existing setup, so that something could be working before that first 24 hour window expires.

DT

We tried unsuccessfully for several hours to establish contact with the DNS provider which is why we are moving to a new DNS provider.

Please, leaving out the technical stuff, can anyone answer a simple question: when will the system be up and running again?

As soon as we can get all the DNS set up. I would hope within the next couple of hours.

The system is back up but a day's worth of spam is missing in action along with emails I know I should have received.

The Email System news states: We discovered and resolved a problem earlier today which was delaying delivery of inbound mail to user mailboxes. No mail was lost and all mail is being delivered.

The message you are quoting is from January 25. A DNS failure means sending servers cannot find an IP address to deliver mail to.

Just for the flog of it I just ran a ping

Pinging smtp.cesmail.net [216.98.141.250] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.

Request timed out.

Request timed out.

Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 216.98.141.250:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss)

I don't know if the referenced IPA is correct or not but it appears as though the DNS lookup went through but nobody's home.

Not all hosts are reachable by ping/icmp attempts.

on edit: ...and besides, I think the correct IP is [64.88.168.93]

Verified: [216.98.141.250] (aka "centos5141250.aspadmin.net") belongs to Cari.net, so I don't think it's correct.

DT

We tried unsuccessfully for several hours to establish contact with the DNS provider which is why we are moving to a new DNS provider.

Sounds like another zombie company. The last employee walking out the door should turn out the lights.

Course, I'm just as guilty. The servers I managed ran unattended for several years after I was shown the door. Unattended and unpatched. 8(

Just for the flog of it I just ran a ping

Pinging smtp.cesmail.net [216.98.141.250] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.

Request timed out.

Request timed out.

Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 216.98.141.250:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss)

I don't know if the referenced IPA is correct or not but it appears as though the DNS lookup went through but nobody's home.

Smtp.cesmail.net is up, I just sent mail thru it.

As soon as we can get all the DNS set up. I would hope within the next couple of hours.

The message you are quoting is from January 25. A DNS failure means sending servers cannot find an IP address to deliver mail to.

Sorry my bad but it was the last message on the Email News page when I looked and I overloooked that it was an old one. At least at that time they were trying to retrieve mail, are they doing it this time?

As it is now all the latest news says is

The DNS problem that caused the earlier outage has been fixed. We apologize for the inconvenience and are taking steps to make sure this issue cannot happen again.

If all my mail was bounced as some of my contacts report, and I get quite a lot for a home user as I am Admin at McAfee forums and several others, then it's quite possible I'll have problems down the line caused by this.

I've been through longer outages than this, but hitherto all the mail was retrieved.

Can you expand on the announcement?

Sorry my bad but it was the last message on the Email News page when I looked and I overloooked that it was an old one. At least at that time they were trying to retrieve mail, are they doing it this time?

As it is now all the latest news says is

If all my mail was bounced as some of my contacts report, and I get quite a lot for a home user as I am Admin at McAfee forums and several others, then it's quite possible I'll have problems down the line caused by this.

I've been through longer outages than this, but hitherto all the mail was retrieved.

Can you expand on the announcement?

Ok. When DNS is working then the sending mail servers can attempt mail delivery and normally what happens is the receiving mail server accepts the mail. If there are critical servers down behind the receiving mail server the the mail sits on the server until the server behind it comes up and the mail is processed and placed into your mail box. So the mail is sitting in the receiving server waiting for processing. In the case today, DNS for our domains/sub domains was down/non-existent so the sending server was not able to send the mail because it couldn't find out the IP to send the mail to. So we never got the mail, we never knew there was mail that a sending server was trying to send to us.

I would check on any forwards that you have set up at your ISP/hosting company to make sure they have not been dropped. Some sending servers may have code that drops forwards if x number of errors have occured.

Ok. When DNS is working then the sending mail servers can attempt mail delivery and normally what happens is the receiving mail server accepts the mail. If there are critical servers down behind the receiving mail server the the mail sits on the server until the server behind it comes up and the mail is processed and placed into your mail box. So the mail is sitting in the receiving server waiting for processing. In the case today, DNS for our domains/sub domains was down/non-existent so the sending server was not able to send the mail because it couldn't find out the IP to send the mail to. So we never got the mail, we never knew there was mail that a sending server was trying to send to us.

I would check on any forwards that you have set up at your ISP/hosting company to make sure they have not been dropped. Some sending servers may have code that drops forwards if x number of errors have occured.

Well that would be my ISP mainly and I just checked. The mail is still being forwarded as I'm receiving these notifications. I'll check whatever others I can think of.

Thanks for the response. At least a whole bunch of spam got bounced too, so I guess there's a good side to this.

I'd better put my thinking cap on and try to remember all the forwarding I set up years ago.

Archived