Turning off a checkbox still contribute to increase the spam score of a network?

p4f

I registered in Spamcop two months ago. Immediately I began to submit all the spam I received. The spam has dropped by half after 10 days (from 600 to 300). That is amazing!

So I kept fighting the remaining spammers. And two months latter I'm still reporting almost the same spammers, coming from a small network subset. So small that I started asking some sysadmins what they know about those networks. Some sysadmins already had worked in these networks and they told me the abuse team just don't care. In the best case they ignore the reports received. In the worst they submit the full report to the spammer which only serves the purpose to confirm the email address (using those tracking codes in the header and the body of the message, you know).

So I stopped sending reports to these networks. But now I have a doubt.

When I submit a spam, Spamcop shows me the complete trace. Before confirming the report, I turn off those checkbox regarding the networks I have mentioned before. This is a correct procedure? By doing this I keep contributing to increase the spam score of those networks? Or when I clear a checkbox Spamcop assumes the network was not involved in spam and therefore does not increase your spam score?

Thank you very much.

<snip>

When I submit a spam, Spamcop shows me the complete trace. Before confirming the report, I turn off those checkbox regarding the networks I have mentioned before. This is a correct procedure? By doing this I keep contributing to increase the spam score of those networks? Or when I clear a checkbox Spamcop assumes the network was not involved in spam and therefore does not increase your spam score?

Thank you very much.

Hi, p4f, and welcome!

...It is my understanding that SpamCop works exactly as you are expecting and that what you are doing it exactly correct! SpamCop uses your report, even if you turned off all the check boxes, to contribute to the logic that determines whether to list an IP address in the SCBL (SpamCop blacklist).

...Note: you posted in the "SpamCop Reporting" section of the "How to use .... Instructions, Tutorials" SpamCop Forum, which is described as "System parts & Functions not fully explained under an existing Help menu / option .... Questions still needed to be asked about How to use/do something are to be posted into that function's Forum section." Since you are asking a question about SpamCop Reporting and not explaining its use, I am taking the liberty of moving this to the more appropriate "SpamCop Reporting Help" SpamCop Forum.

Archived