Changing my spamcop.net address due to MyDoom?

I very, very rarely send mail from my spamcop.net address. I mainly use it just for filtering my real address. However, someone that had my address on their system has been hit with MyDoom and I am inundated with responses from anti-virus filters telling me I am infected, and other sites simply returning mail bounces back to me. (I am actually more inclined to believe that the virus may have used my first name and just stuck it on the spamcop.net domain, because I am seeing these virus attempts originating from all over the world!)

So... I need to change my address at spamcop. I don't see any way to do this or any way to contact someone who can. Does anyone have an idea of what to do?

Thanks,

Thomas

I feel your pain. I and some colleagues also chose common first names for the LHS of our email addresses, and we are also getting these notifications. The only address that may be able to help you in this situation is support at spamcop.net. Please include your current SpamCop Email System email address. Thanks!

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the info, I will try them.

So are you thinking also that the virus is using random first names on domains? I had only read that it forged the sender, but assumed it was pulling from addresses on the infected machine, but I just do not think there is any way my spamcop address is on that many machines!

Regards,

Thomas

P.S. I am glad to see your rant on mailblocks and C/R systems in general. I work for a small internet-based company that has thousands of members, and the primary service we offer is email-based. These C/R systems are killing us, and we are having to spend a lot of time trying to create a complex workaround to the problem... :-(

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the info, I will try them.

So are you thinking also that the virus is using random first names on domains?

I haven't read a detailed writeup recently, but I did see a list of names that people said were hardcoded into the virus. It was just a list of about 30 very common names, like tom, dave, charles, etc. So, if your spamcop.net address is a very common name, then it's possible that's the problem.

This virus is due to expire in the next couple of days anyway. You might want to just wait it out and see if the notifications stop.

JT

It seems my spamcop address is getting these also. It's kinda funny. These ant-virus companies know that the from addy is forged as they tell you in the virus writeup but they still send this info to the wrong person. I wonder if because they can advertise along with the bounce to the wrong person.

Each notification appears to be the result of one or more of the following:

• Cluelessness
  • Greed on the part of the AntiVirus product vendor
  • Admin/PHB still living in an age where each message has to be accounted for
  • Admin went AWOL

Archived