Could the spam graph be made to work?

saturated

The following is not facetious. Experience has taught me that the spam graphs not working is a pretty reliable sign that some disaster is about to happen, like my mail is going to disappear. I'm feeling a bit alarmed at the moment.

Where's the right place to draw some capable person's attention to the fact that the graph has stopped working, and whatever is the cause of it?

Hank

<snip>

Where's the right place to draw some capable person's attention to the fact that the graph has stopped working, and whatever is the cause of it?

Hank

Hi, Hank,

...As far as I know, this is the place! Let's hope someone who is in a position to do something about it happens by here and does so! :) <g>

Eek! Still dead. Looks like the "droppage" is from the source behind

http://www.spamcop.net/spamgraph.shtml?spamstats

and the repeater(?) at

http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?autocom=custom&page=stats - I'm seeing

http://delta2.cesmail.net/graphs/spamstats.png

in there somewhere (total incomprehension).

Last this happened Wazoo fired off some emails to ensure the right folk (JT I guess) knew the source since he had previously been through the innards of it all to set up the display heading the forum pages. Steve, Stephen, Dennis, (and me) someone might need to research the previous Wazoo posts on this (including any in the admin area) to get a handle on that if it doesn't automagically come back. Unlikely any staff read here but yes, they should have noticed by themselves. Pressed for time myself just now. Sorry

Well, the delta2.cesmail.net server seems to be responding OK (just-ping.com and watchmouse.com) - just not picking up the stats since late Wednesday. There is a curious "clunkiness" or delay/refusal to display sometimes displaying via http://www.spamcop.net/spamstats.shtml (and the spamweek graph is differently sourced to the rest - not direct to delta2.cesmail.net, seems to work fine though but with the same missing chunk) - no idea what that is all about, hopefully symptomatic of some work going on. Similarly there is sometimes a reluctance of the cesmail server to play with Nimsoft's "Cloud Monitor" (watchmouse) but that's hardly unique. Seems something's broken leading into the CES data feed and there could be a little bandwidth issue, nothing more I can tell, everything else seems to be working fine:

http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...&page=stats

With Richard and JT talking I'm sure it will get sorted out.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
<snip>

After a little spluttering, the eternal flame is extinguished!

<snip>

...Spluttering? It's been working pretty much perfectly since your last complaint! :) <g> True, when you last posted it had been down for roughly 12 hours but started working, again, within about 15 minutes!

• 2 weeks later...

It has certainly been "spluttering" for a LONG time, wildly inconsistent, and with frequent, random gaps. The OP is also quite correct in raising concern that those of us paying CES for email accounts should worry when we see the graph drop offline, as it does indeed often correspond to major outages of our email, rather than just some communication issues between the forum and reporting servers.

DT

...Sorry, DT, I am just not seeing what you are seeing when I click on the graph in the upper right corner of a SpamCop Forum page and view the various graphs presented. I see a few, widely spaced, mostly narrow (brief) white spaces (except for the long one last Monday and Tuesday) that indicate outages. Admittedly, I am not a paying user and you are right that CES e-mail has had a number of outages, some lengthy, over the past year or two but my reading of those is that using the graphs as a representation of CES outages greatly underestimates the CES problems (thankfully few and brief in the most recent several weeks).

What I've been noticing is that the stats graph on the forum doesn't match that viewable via the "statistics" tab of the reporting page. Doesn't worry me too much, as long as we're able to make some kind of difference by reporting spam for consideration by whoever gets to see it.

...Sorry, DT, I am just not seeing what you are seeing when I click on the graph in the upper right corner of a SpamCop Forum page and view the various graphs presented. I see a few, widely spaced, mostly narrow (brief) white spaces (except for the long one last Monday and Tuesday) that indicate outages.

It depends on if you're looking at the Daily, Weekly, Monthly, or Yearly graphs on the page resulting from clicking on the thumbnail. Both times I did it (yesterday and just now) there were four outage slices in the last 24 hours, which appears to indicate "sputtering" to me. Those brief glitches don't show on the Weekly, Monthly, or Annual versions as they're too brief, but they're some sort of outages and they do happen MUCH more frequently than they used to (I've been watching that thing for many years), just like the OP said. So don't be sorry...you're just wrong. :-)

DT

It depends on if you're looking at the Daily, Weekly, Monthly, or Yearly graphs on the page resulting from clicking on the thumbnail.
...Yes, it does, and I was looking at all of those!
Both times I did it (yesterday and just now) there were four outage slices in the last 24 hours, which appears to indicate "sputtering" to me.

<snip>

...Yes, that is a reasonable conclusion for yesterday and today but wasn't, that I saw, when I looked on Dec 18 and Dec 27! If you are checking pretty much every day, I concede, as I am not. :) <g>

The statistics graphs seem to be broken again, and in a strange way: the graphs shown are all saying they were last updated on October 16, 2013. What's strange is that an earlier post on 10/27 had said "Nothing charted after about 15:23 Friday 26 October", followed by another post a few hours later saying it was working again. Strange that the date regressed back to October 16.

I refreshed the page, cleared the browser cache, etc. All of the graphs show October 16, 2013 "last updated" dates.

Anyone else seeing this?

Ah! The situation is more complicated than I thought, so I must provide more info.

The graphs "mirrored" on the forum pages are fine. Here I mean the graphs at

http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...&page=stats

However, the graphs seen on the "Statistics" page on www.spamcop.net are stale. Here I mean the graphs obtainable from the links at

http://www.spamcop.net/spamstats.shtml

So this is perhaps an issue of the software used for the forum being more up-to-date in knowing where to get the graphs than www.spamcop.net?

The statistics graphs seem to be broken again, and in a strange way: the graphs shown are all saying they were last updated on October 16, 2013. What's strange is that an earlier post on 10/27 had said "Nothing charted after about 15:23 Friday 26 October", followed by another post a few hours later saying it was working again. Strange that the date regressed back to October 16.

I refreshed the page, cleared the browser cache, etc. All of the graphs show October 16, 2013 "last updated" dates.

Anyone else seeing this?

...Yes, it does, and I was looking at all of those!...Yes, that is a reasonable conclusion for yesterday and today but wasn't, that I saw, when I looked on Dec 18 and Dec 27! If you are checking pretty much every day, I concede, as I am not. :) <g>

It's very gappy again for the last 24 hours...this is happening MUCH more frequently, and as the OP said, it's worrisome.

DT

• 2 weeks later...

Well, we're still seeing those several daily 15-20 minute gaps in the charts (http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...&page=stats) but I also note that the daily processing (Ð…pam Submitted) has been running at well over 2,000,000 per day for the past week now. That's back to the historical levels of yesteryear. (Ð…pam) Reports Sent rates are much lower, about 15% of submission rates, and presumably omit the "devnull" non-reports. Anyway those rates are much lower than the historical highs I think, and there are possibly multiple reasons for that - always remembering that SpamCop has no interest in sending reports to those who don't actually want them or who misuse them. And the parser tools seem incapable of scraping/using commented abuse addresses from whois records.

Whatever, we seem to be seeing a fundamental change in the stats gathering and reporting. Also noting that the "official" stats page (http://www.spamcop.net/spamgraph.shtml?spamstats, etc.) seems to be stalled at Wednesday October 16 2013. There seem to be no deleterious effects in any of this (?) on the receipt and processing of member submissions by any submission method - long/quick/VER e-mail or paste-in at the member submission page.

Archived