[Resolved] Email report submissions from GMAIL

Xylella

Sorry if this has been asked a zillion times already but how do you forward emails to submit.mysecretcode[at]spam.spamcop.net from gmail? I have looked at old posts but they are not much help and I want to get around the copy and paste into the box in the 'report spam page'

Followed instructions from somebody who seemed to know what to do i.e. by saving the original text (with Firefox) and putting it as an attachment but Gmail does not like that.

Error

mail.google.com is an executable file. For security reasons, Gmail does not allow you to send this type of file.

There is not much helpful information to users of Gmail to the following question;

“I just want a way to forward the spam AS AN ATTACHMENT so I can report it through SpamCopâ€

A typical answer is;

Click on the drop down menu at the top right of the message & click "Show Original"

Save as a file that you can now attach in an email to Spamcop

If you are using Firefox (perhaps other browsers as well) this will actually save as a mail.google.com file which is considered as an executable file by Gmail which thus refuses to send it - to SC – or anybody.

In fact another step is needed and the text in the “Show Original†tab needs to be saved as a text file. I am sure there are many ways to do this but my first try was to paste the text into a blank MSWord 2007 document and use the following menu sequence;

‘Save as’ - then

Other formats’ -

Save as type – choose ‘text’ in the lower box

In the box that comes up allow ‘Windows encoding’

And then save

A better and easier way is to use ‘Notepad’ - paste in the original text and save using the default ANSI encoding.

Now able to report more easily and quickly <G>

<snip>

Now able to report more easily and quickly <G>

...Thanks, Xylella!

...If some other kind GMail user would confirm your process (to be sure it isn't a solution unique to your setup), I shall create a link to this topic in the SpamCop FAQ!

...Thanks, Xylella!

...If some other kind GMail user would confirm your process (to be sure it isn't a solution unique to your setup), I shall create a link to this topic in the SpamCop FAQ!

I don't regularly use gMail, but had occasion to log into an account I have there recently. Without going back and double checking, the best I can say is that the process looks about right.

...Okay, thanks, lisati! In light of your not being a regular user and being able to only say "that the process looks about [emphasis mine] right," I'm going to wait for another user to let us know the result.

Thanks for feedback. I will post my solution onto the Gmail discussion forum and see what people there say.

My set up is a no frills;

Windows 7 Starter

MS Notepad 6.1

Firefox 13.0.1

Standard Gmail account

Have just gone through the process again with last nights haul - a mere six spams over 12 hours - down from 50-60 a day before I joined SC and got the following message

'[spamCop] has accepted 6 emails for processing'

and then have reported without difficulty

On another note I have set up a tab on my browser to show the SC reporting statistics and only send when there is a nice clear space between the green 'spam Submitted' histogram and the blue 'Reports sent'. Everything gets processed quickly and I can get on with my day job

Xylella

...Okay, thanks, lisati! In light of your not being a regular user and being able to only say "that the process looks about [emphasis mine] right," I'm going to wait for another user to let us know the result.

Got this response from the Gmail forum

If the file is actually saved as "mail.google.com" then yes the .com bit will make Gmail think its a .com executable file.

try renaming it.

So have done that. When Firefox is asked to save the file the following dialogue comes up;

Save file as; mail.google.com

Save as type; *.txt; *.txt

If one assumes that it will be saved as a text file (like I did) then you are wrong. The file saves as mail.google.com. Thus the .com extension on the top line has to be changed to .txt. Did that and it works. Now have a genuine text file that passes through the Gmail filters and can be processed by SC without any problem.

Well done Xylella, thanks for seeing it through and reporting back. It all seems logical once you point it out, accords with generally-observed Windows applications "Save as" dialog behavior in numerous successive releases and we can, I think, be confident it is a general solution.

Marking this "Resolved" so in future others will know from the topic title where to look for a solution. So often in the field of personal computing there are several ways to achieve an object - so the "Resolved" tag should not deter others from contributing any further solutions they may have or may discover.

Archived