I am new to this... and I am being blocked.

What-hmmm

Hi,

I am just learning about Spamcop. I've read the respective FAQ's and some of the postings, as well as clicked on a few of the other info links available.

My ISP IP address is blocked:

451 Blocked - see http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?65.88.98.1

Kinda frustrating but I guess I understand. Here are my questions if someone has the time to reply:

1. What are some additional suggestions for running into my ISP customer relations 'brickwall'? Who do I tell my ISP to contact to get the evidence of the spamming through their servers? My ISP is direcpc. I and most direcpc users have dynamic IP's so I just got stuck with this IP address (for a while). When I contact my ISP customer service to tell them about Spamcop blocking, I get the equivalent of "Sir, there's nothing we can do."

2. Does the blocking really expire about 48 hours after last reported transgression? My work and private emails are all being blocked.... frustrating and costly to my business. At the moment, spamcop is far more interruptive to me than any spam I've ever encountered.

Thanks,

me

65.88.98.1 not listed in bl.spamcop.net

Since SpamCop started counting, this system has been reported about 40 times by about 10 users. It has been sending mail consistently for at least 61.4 days. In the past 55.6 days, it has been listed 5 times for a total of 2.2 days

* In the past week, this system has: Been reported as a source of spam less than 10 times

* Been witnessed sending mail about 1150 times

* Other hosts in this "neighborhood" with spam reports: 65.88.98.68

[

2. Does the blocking really expire about 48 hours after last reported transgression?

as you can see, it really does and has already!

When I contact my ISP customer service to tell them about Spamcop blocking, I get the equivalent of "Sir, there's nothing we can do."

Sorry, but that's B.S. they have already HAD the evidence, they MAY even have acted on it and stopped the spam, but looking at the 'others in theneighbourhood' bit I suspect they are not very proactive. You may need to get a new ISP.

I am sorry that your business has been disrupted by spammer activity. However, would you really want those customers who are blocking the spam, to take the block off so that they can receive your communications? They would also receive all the spam. Obviously, they prefer not to receive spam and find it more disruptive than your having problems contacting them.

To get past the "Sir, there is nothing we can do" the only thing I can suggest is to ask for a supervisor or write a letter. If you learn a little bit more about how blocklists work, sometimes you can convince the first person you contact to take you seriously. But probably the best thing to do is to change ISP's or use a web based email service (there are others besides hotmail and yahoo).

The *sender* of email is the only person who can stop spam. And if the ordinary *senders* of email decide to choose reliable ISP's, then those ISP's who are greedy for spammer dollars or incompetent/irresponsible (those that do not see that open proxies and compromised machines are fixed) will be blocked, but responsible businesses and netizens will be able to communicate without the hindrance of either spam or being blocked.

Miss Betsy

Hi,

I am just learning about Spamcop.  I've read the respective FAQ's and some of the postings, as well as clicked on a few of the other info links available.

My ISP IP address is blocked:

451 Blocked - see http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?65.88.98.1

Kinda frustrating but I guess I understand.  Here are my questions if someone has the time to reply:

1.    What are some additional suggestions for running into my ISP customer relations 'brickwall'?  Who do I tell my ISP to contact to get the evidence of the spamming through their servers?  My ISP is direcpc.  I and most direcpc users have dynamic IP's so I just got stuck with this IP address (for a while).  When I contact my ISP customer service to tell them about Spamcop blocking, I get the equivalent of "Sir, there's nothing we can do."

2.  Does the blocking really expire about 48 hours after last reported transgression?  My work and private emails are all being blocked.... frustrating and costly to my business.  At the moment, spamcop is far more interruptive to me than any spam I've ever encountered.

Thanks,

me

Yes the IP is removed after 48 hours with no reports. This IP has been on the bl a couple of times this month and happens to be be delisted right now.

Thanks to all who answered and posted. My IP address is not blocked any longer, so, it seems the blocking/unblocking has taken its course.

I can see the benefits of this type of watchdog system. It was a surprise tho to encounter it out-of-the-blue. Again, thanks to all who helped me understand. I'll be talking to my friends about this out of appreciation.

Interesting learning experience. As for choosing another ISP, as suggested by some, that's not an easy option for me since I need broadband but have no access to cable or dsl.... I am stuck with direcpc (satellite) access until wi-max or something comparable comes along.

Interesting learning experience.  As for choosing another ISP, as suggested by some, that's not an easy option for me since I need broadband but have no access to cable or dsl.... I am stuck with direcpc (satellite) access until wi-max or something comparable comes along.

While you may have a limited selection of broadband providers in your area you are not limited to using their email services. There are tons of alternatives available, and no matter who your provider is it isn't a bad idea to have a backup plan in place for times when email problems arise.

Archived