Blocked email, but not listed in spam cop?!

DrBrush

Hi,

I run a VPS and one of my users has had their email blocked by SpamCop, with the following message:

Connected to 80.93.167.12 but sender was rejected.

Remote host said: 553 5.3.0 spam blocked see: http://spamcop.net/bl.shtml?xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

So, I followed the links to Spamcop, and selected the link entitled "Information about the reasons for listing (blocking) your mail server (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx)".

Only to be told when I queried the Spamcop database that "xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx not listed in bl.spamcop.net".

So how are we being blocked when our server IP address is not held in the Spamcop directory?

Thanks for any help,

David

Hi,

I run a VPS and one of my users has had their email blocked by SpamCop, with the following message:

Connected to 80.93.167.12 but sender was rejected.

Remote host said: 553 5.3.0 spam blocked see: http://spamcop.net/bl.shtml?xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

So, I followed the links to Spamcop, and selected the link entitled "Information about the reasons for listing (blocking) your mail server (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx)".

Only to be told when I queried the Spamcop database that "xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx not listed in bl.spamcop.net".

So how are we being blocked when our server IP address is not held in the Spamcop directory?

Thanks for any help,

David

Hi David and welcome,

1. Technically spamcop blocks nothing - the receiving server happens to be using the SCBL in blocking mode - not recommended but their server, their rules.

2. Spamcop is very dynamic - when the spam stops it delists automatically. It's quite likely that the IP was delisted by the time you checked.

3. You munged the one piece of information that I need to help further - the IP address.

Hi David!

...In addition to the possibility suggested by Derek:

• sometimes reject notices finger the SpamCop blacklist when they really rejected for some other reason.
  • there is an automatic, one-time "delisting" service that someone may have used for that IP address.

Archived