Inbound Mail Not Coming Through

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
<snip >The servers are, I believe, mostly on the west coast of the USA <snip>
...Nope -- it's very easy to be confused! :) <g> Please see SpamCop Wiki entry "WhySoManyPasswords" content under headings "www.spamcop.net" and "webmail.spamcop.net or mailsc.spamcop.net." Note that the subject of this topic is the goings-on on the latter.

Good to know that JeffT is on the job.

<snip>

...Or one of his CES colleagues. I haven't seen Jeff's "sig" in a very long time, so not sure if he's even still with that team.

[snip]

...Or one of his CES colleagues. I haven't seen Jeff's "sig" in a very long time, so not sure if he's even still with that team.

While it's neither here nor there, somehow I got the impression that Jeff owns CESMail. Or did that change sometime and I never caught it??? Just curious, really. :)

<snip> somehow I got the impression that Jeff owns CESMail.

<snip>

...If not owned, he was certainly a principal in its operation. But it may be that he "owns" it in the same way that John D Rockefeller "owns" the Standard Oil Trust -- historically! Frankly, I don't know for certain, it's just that he used to be fairly active here (in fact, he also "owned" the server(s) on which the SpamCop Forum runs and the Forum implementation itself) but hasn't posted recently. In fact, his Forum profile says that the last time he was active was 22nd May 2012 - 07:10 PM (I believe that is US Eastern Time).

At present SpamCop email SMTP IP 216.154.195.49 is spewing spam also

Wait...I think that 216.154.195.49 is not the SMTP but rather the server named c60.cesmail.net through which much of our outbound mail departs the CESMail system if you're using the webmail. And its stats at Senderbase are a little alarming:

http://www.senderbase.org/lookup?search_st...=216.154.195.49

Last Day Last Month
Email Magnitude 	3.9 	2.8
Volume Change 	2409% ↑

That looks like a real problem (besides the math being crazy).

DT

somehow I got the impression that Jeff owns CESMail.

Every problem report I've made where there was a reply from SpamCop Support has included phrases like, "I'll ask Jeff to take a look....", I'm forwarding this on to Jeff," and "only Jeff can fix this".

I don't know what Jeff's role is, but CESMail sounds like a one-man operation. Hope nothing happens to Jeff.

I'm getting messages from about 8 hours ago now, but the rate of "catching up" doesn't appear very fast. There are also missing messages from Monday evening through Tuesday morning that haven't arrived, even though a number of messages from about 8 AM to just before noon (MST, GMT-7) have arrived. I'm guessing that the system might have been refusing incoming SMTP sessions over night, but I hope I'm wrong.

DT

I'm getting messages from about 8 hours ago now, but the rate of "catching up" doesn't appear very fast. There are also missing messages from Monday evening through Tuesday morning that haven't arrived, even though a number of messages from about 8 AM to just before noon (MST, GMT-7) have arrived.

It looks like it's still slowly processing. I'm up to 2:30pm PT, though one piece of earlier mail still hasn't made it through. At this rate maybe it'll catch up by tomorrow morning?

Though this speaks poorly of CESmail's server capacity. If it takes this long to process the backlog, then the servers would appear to not have much capacity beyond what it takes to handle the load in real time. :(

Though this speaks poorly of CESmail's server capacity. If it takes this long to process the backlog, then the servers would appear to not have much capacity beyond what it takes to handle the load in real time. :(

Unfortunately, I think you might be right.

DT

According to my inbox, the server is still about 10 hours behind in processing mail, and yes, there's also a Monday night-Tuesday morning gap during which nothing has appeared, so this isn't getting much better, if at all. Time for Email Support to come back out of the woodwork and get more involved.

DT

According to my inbox, the server is still about 10 hours behind in processing mail, and yes, there's also a Monday night-Tuesday morning gap during which nothing has appeared, so this isn't getting much better, if at all. Time for Email Support to come back out of the woodwork and get more involved.

DT

I'm seeing about an 8 hour gap right now. Which still means the backlog has barely been cut in half after a whole day.

This kerfuffle got me looking for rival services, more out of curiosity than anything else, and I went to despammed.com, where lo and behold, there is an apology for a prolonged outage....!!

At that point I gave up looking. Grin and bear it, so they say.

:(:blink:<_<

I am now down to 7 hours behind, which is a steady improvement over 20-odd hours yesterday.

I too am down to seven hours: I received at 11:30 AM EDT an email sent at 5:03 AM EDT.

I hoped the matter would be resolved overnight. I agree that communication would be better. I tend to use the following link, not the forums, as my primary source for news:

http://mail.spamcop.net/news.php

I appreciate the updates this and other threads have instead provided.

Now I hope any continued improvement doesn't follow Zeno's paradox.

-Ken

Archived