Clueless In India

cwg

So, as the results of submitting a spam the other day, I get back this complaint.

(URL's and email address's removed because they really don't need more grief.)

Hello SpamCop user,

One of the links in report is URL-TO-BANKING-SITE-IN-INDIA/personal-loan/compare-interest-rates.html?WT.mc_id=P1_PL_M5, which is maintained by us.

The email shown in report is a mail sent by one of the affiliates of URL-TO-BANKING-SITE-IN-INDIA as a promotional email.

We would like to know more details about why this has surfaced in SpamCop report.

Can you let us know more details like whether content is wrong or number of users who marked the mail as spam in their email account exceeded certain threshold or any other data which we can use to deal with this report.

Please use the link below to review the report in question:

SPAMCOP-REPORT-URL

Thanks

Anantha

anantha[at]ORGANIZATION-IN-INDIA-RESPONSIBLE-FOR-THE-spam

Just to get this off my chest because I'm not going to reply:

Dear Anantha;

What part of unsolicited email message do you not understand?

Information contained and transmitted by this email including any attachment is proprietary to ORGANIZATION-IN-INDIA-RESPONSIBLE-FOR-THE-spam and is intended solely for the addressee/s, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. Access to this e-mail and/or to the attachment by anyone else is unauthorized. If this is a forwarded message, the content and the views expressed in this email may not reflect those of ORGANIZATION-IN-INDIA-RESPONSIBLE-FOR-THE-spam. If you are not the intended recipient, an agent of the intended recipient or a person responsible for delivering the information to the named recipient, you are notified that any use, distribution, transmission, printing, copying or dissemination of this information in any way or in any manner is strictly prohibited.
You used the internet, once it leaves your computer you have no control over how the content is used by other users. If you do not want your information shared in a broad and sweeping manner, please stop using the internet to send stuff.

:blink:

<snip>

You used the internet, once it leaves your computer you have no control over how the content is used by other users. If you do not want your information shared in a broad and sweeping manner, please stop using the internet to send stuff.

:blink:

...That's Corporate Boilerplate required by Corporate Legal (at least in my company and also the company of the client company for which I work and apparently many others), probably in an attempt to protect intellectual property. Absent the disclaimer, it would be difficult to successfully sue for the misuse of the intellectual property.

Just to get this off my chest because I'm not going to reply:

Dear Anantha;

What part of unsolicited email message do you not understand?

Actually, you should reply with that :)

I've had the odd success at helping senders/sysops understand that they are sending spam and it's a bad thing.

Cheers!

What is it with banks and "affiliates" lately? Are they not making enough money suddenly? The very least damage such unsolicited (and unannounced) contacts are doing is "desensitizing" their customers to the phishes they resemble so closely and which greatly outnumber them. I think an affiliate of my bank started a cold-contact program recently, not sure but I report any I get mercilessly (including to the bank's anti-spoof address) and would relish the opportunity to advise them concerning their manifest delinquencies, if only they asked. But only silence ... maybe they had me whitelisted. Or it really was a spoof/unauthorised (I couldn't actually tell).

Yes, reply, if you can do so safely. India has a huge number of "desperates" operating on the fringes or beyond, who generally belie the popular reputation for subtlety, but, who knows?

Archived