[Resolved] spam reported several times - nothing happens

Zedrick

Hi,

apologies if this is a stupid question, but I have read through the FAQ(s) without finding any explaination.

Since a few months back I'm receiving several mails per day from a certain organisaiton. It's not commercial spam, but spam nonetheless, as defined by spamcop - most likely from a mailingscript stuck in a loop. Very annoying and a huge waste of time since I can't filter out the mails without possibly missing important ones.

I have written to the (French) company in question several times, both in English and google-translated French, to several addresses (the replyto and all relevant ones i could find on their website). I've even called them twice and got transfered to various people who did not speak one word of English. Eventually I decided to report them through spamcop, as a last resort.

Which is what I've been doing for a few weeks now, every day until my copy+paste-fingers gets too tired. But nothing happens. As far as I can see they ignore the reports, and their IP (the mails are sent from the same IP every time) is still not blocked by SCBL. Why?

I'm also on the other side of spamcop reports as abuse-responsible for my emplyer, and I always take them seriously. But these guys seems to get away with ignoring it, and continue spamming. Every. Single. Day.

It takes more than just one person reporting to put an IP on our list.

That explains it. I'm probably the only victim of their malfunctioning mailscript.

SpamCop can't force anybody to do anything. All we do is send complaints.

Well, yes, but nobody wants to end up on a blacklist. Or perhaps they do in France, I don't know.

Thanks for the reply.

Since a few months back I'm receiving several mails per day from a certain organisaiton. It's not commercial spam, but spam nonetheless, as defined by spamcop - most likely from a mailingscript stuck in a loop. Very annoying and a huge waste of time since I can't filter out the mails without possibly missing important ones.

I'm confused. How can email from this organization both be "spam nonetheless" and possibly be "important ones"?

Seem that you have/may-want-to-have a relationship with this organization. If they are in fact a legitimate organization, perhaps with a miss-configured mail program, reporting them (and getting them on the SCBL) doesn't seem like the correct action.

If they are legitimate, and you just don't like their business practices i.e. you didn't ask to be on their emailing list but you may want to do business with them anyway, then it sounds to me like you have a dilemma. And again IMHO spamcop is not the solution. All your efforts to contact them, though frustrating, does seem like the correct course of action.

I'm confused. How can email from this organization both be "spam nonetheless" and possibly be "important ones"?

The mail I have a problem with was originally legit, the problem is that I now have >1200 identical mails regarding the same thing (which was solved months ago), and I'll get 10-20 new ones tomorrow. These 1199 extra mails are really really unsolicited, which makes it spam if i understood the spamcop FAQ correctly.

The other mails they're sending regarding other issues are just sent once.

It wouldn't be a problem if the had someone who actually read the replies they get and/or would know a few words of English. But that's too much to ask for, from a very large French company :D

Anyway, case closed, I just wanted to know why their mailserver didn't get blocked by SCBL.

<snip>

apologies if this is a stupid question, but I have read through the FAQ(s) without finding any explaination.

<snip>

...The FAQ you need is, indeed, sometimes hard to find -- and thanks for searching, at least -- not everyone bothers to do that. I think the SpamCop FAQ (links to which appear near the top left of each SpamCop Forum page, as you probably know already) entry most relevant for your inquiry is the one labeled "What is on the list?" and also appears as SCWiki (links near top center of SpamCop Forum pages) entry "What is the SpamCop Blocking List (SCBL)?" Don's answer 85897[/snapback], though, pretty well is what you needed to know.

The mail I have a problem with was originally legit, the problem is that I now have >1200 identical mails regarding the same thing (which was solved months ago), and I'll get 10-20 new ones tomorrow. These 1199 extra mails are really really unsolicited, which makes it spam if i understood the spamcop FAQ correctly.

We define spam as Unsolicited Bulk Email (UBE). To be considered spam, a message must be:

1. Unsolicited (I didn't request it explicitly or implicitly); and,

2. Bulk (the same message was sent to many people at once).

(color added)

It wouldn't be a problem if the had someone who actually read the replies they get and/or would know a few words of English. But that's too much to ask for, from a very large French company :D

SpamCop of course does not try to correct all the problems in the world. Unfortunately, speaking only their native tongue is not uncommon in business whether it is French or English.

>- 1. Unsolicited (I didn't request it explicitly or implicitly); and,

>- 2. Bulk (the same message was sent to many people at once).

That is UBE. Unsolicited Bulk Email. It includes religious and political emails that don't have any commercial componet.

You should add....

Unsolicited Commercial Email.

"Bulk" is not part of that definition.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

- Service[at]Admin.SpamCop.net -

Archived