Error when reporting from spamassassin

MerceanCoconut

When I try reporting using spamassassin, I receive the following error:

SpamCop report to vmx.spamcop.net failed: 550 #5.7.1 Your access to submit messages to this e-mail system has been rejected.

This has been working for years and this error started appearing in the last few weeks. I had been using the default spamassassin submit email, so I tried registering with SpamCop, but it make no difference.

The message suggests that my submissions have been specifically rejected. I'm fairly certain I haven't broken the submission rules. Any help is appreciated.

SpamCop report to vmx.spamcop.net failed: 550 #5.7.1 Your access to submit messages to this e-mail system has been rejected.

I suspect that is from your own service provider. SpamCop doesn't reject email submissions.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

- Service[at]Admin.SpamCop.net -

I suspect that is from your own service provider. SpamCop doesn't reject email submissions.

Thanks for your reply. That gave me the idea to test it out using telnet:

chris[at]aurora:~$ telnet vmx.spamcop.net 587
Trying 184.94.240.112...
Connected to vmx.spamcop.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 vmx.spamcop.net ESMTP
ehlo aurora.northfolk.ca
250-vmx.spamcop.net
250-8BITMIME
250 SIZE 20971520
MAIL FROM:chris[at]northfolk.ca
250 sender <chris[at]northfolk.ca> ok
RCPT TO:submit.********[at]spam.spamcop.net
550 #5.7.1 Your access to submit messages to this e-mail system has been rejected.
quit
221 vmx.spamcop.net
Connection closed by foreign host.

Unless I've done something wrong, it looks like I'm being rejected specifically.

...FWIW, here's what I get:

>telnet

open vmx.spamcop.net

Trying 184.94.240.112...

ehlo <snip>

250-vmx.spamcop.net

250-8BITMIME

250 SIZE 20971520

MAIL FROM:<snip>

250 sender <snip> ok

250 recipient <submit.********[at]spam.spamcop.net> ok

quit

...While I make no claim to any expertise in this area whatsoever, I'd have to say that the evidence so far would appear to support MerceanCoconut's claim.

Thanks for your reply. That gave me the idea to test it out using telnet:

chris[at]aurora:~$ telnet vmx.spamcop.net 587
Trying 184.94.240.112...
ehlo aurora.northfolk.ca
250-vmx.spamcop.net
250-8BITMIME
250 SIZE 20971520
MAIL FROM:chris[at]northfolk.ca
250 sender &lt;chris[at]northfolk.ca&gt; ok
550 #5.7.1 Your access to submit messages to this e-mail system has been rejected.
quit
221 vmx.spamcop.net
Connection closed by foreign host.

Unless I've done something wrong, it looks like I'm being rejected specifically.

Just for giggles, I submitted your IP (looked up aurora.northfolk.ca) and pasted it into the reporting window on spamcop. This is what I got:

156.34.45.92 listed in dnsbl.sorbs.net ( 1 )

I don't know if SpamCop checks to see if any particular IP is listed in a block list when accepting emails for reporting, but at least it's a start.

<snip>

I don't know if SpamCop checks to see if any particular IP is listed in a block list when accepting emails for reporting, but at least it's a start.

...It doesn't appear so:
ehlo aurora.northfolk.ca

250-vmx.spamcop.net

250-8BITMIME

250 SIZE 20971520

MAIL FROM:<snip my e-mail address>

500 #5.5.1 command not recognized

250 sender <snip my e-mail address> ok

RCPT TO: submit.****************[at]spam.spamcop.net

250 recipient <submit.****************[at]spam.spamcop.net> ok

quit

221 vmx.spamcop.net

...It doesn't appear so:

Hmm... I"m no expert on SpamCop, so you may be correct. I just don't know. You make a good point that it would seem to reject AFTER the USERID is entered, whereas if it were rejecting on the IP of the sender, it would probably reject immediately upon connection. I just don't know enough to say for sure.

I just saw everyone's replies. I either missed or didn't receive a notification which is why I'm responding now.

I checked with SORBS and my IP is listed in the DUHL (dynamic IP list) so nothing strange there. It no longer appears to be listed with spamcop, but I still have the same problem logging in.

My best guess is that something I submitted was considered not to be spam and so my submitting privileges have been revoked.

The next time I get a spam message, I'll try using the online form to submit and see what happens.

Archived