ESP has blocked my client's account!

skubaman

Hi all,

recently my clients account on Constant Contact has been blocked. According to them it was blocked due to spam complaints and to unblock it we either need to trim our every contact added before 12 months ago or send a double opt-in email to entire user base.

My client does not practice spam and we never had issues with spam complaints. All emails addresses are opt-in and they only send 2 or 3 emails a month. The 2 proposed solutions would have a major negative impact over the email base and my clients web marketing revenue.

According to CC the blocking is from Spamcop. Now how do I know that in fact there were complaints to spamcop? How many? How do I know we are not being punished due to spam activity by other clients of Constant Contact that use the same servers?

Who exactly is blocked? Constant contacts's server or my clients domains? Couldn't I just take the business somewhere else?

Thanks

Hi, skubaman,

...Sorry to hear of your client's problem.

...Unfortunately, there isn't much we here can do without knowing what IP address is being blocked. Please be aware that SpamCop blocks nothing; it provides a blacklist that it recommends be used only to filter or redirect suspected spam, although some admins who use it ignore that advice and, since it's their server, it's their rules that matter. Sometimes admins do not refresh their copies of the SpamCop blacklist, which is very dynamic and can quickly list and very quickly delist reported spam sources; sometimes admins configure their systems to send reject messages that mention SpamCop when they have used entirely different criteria to block.

...You may wish to peruse the SpamCop FAQ, links to which appear near the top left of each SpamCop Forum page. Among others, I would recommend:

• Why am I Blocked? Forum Post
  • Why Am I Blocked? Probable Causes - Wiki

You are invited to raise any questions here that may present themselves as a result of reading the FAQ articles, some of which can be rather technical.

...Good luck!

Hi, skubaman,

...Sorry to hear of your client's problem.

...Unfortunately, there isn't much we here can do without knowing what IP address is being blocked. Please be aware that SpamCop blocks nothing; it provides a blacklist that it recommends be used only to filter or redirect suspected spam, although some admins who use it ignore that advice and, since it's their server, it's their rules that matter. Sometimes admins do not refresh their copies of the SpamCop blacklist, which is very dynamic and can quickly list and very quickly delist reported spam sources; sometimes admins configure their systems to send reject messages that mention SpamCop when they have used entirely different criteria to block.

...You may wish to peruse the SpamCop FAQ, links to which appear near the top left of each SpamCop Forum page. Among others, I would recommend:

• Why am I Blocked? Forum Post
  • Why Am I Blocked? Probable Causes - Wiki

You are invited to raise any questions here that may present themselves as a result of reading the FAQ articles, some of which can be rather technical.

...Good luck!

Hi, thanks for the info. Could you please let me know what exactly is being black listed? Would it be their IP address or/and my clients specific email address/domains? Thanks

Hi, thanks for the info. Could you please let me know what exactly is being black listed? Would it be their IP address or/and my clients specific email address/domains? Thanks

The spamcop black list is a list of IP addresses that have been reported sending spam or have sent email to a spam trap. A single report will not get an IP listed but sending to a spam trap will get an IP listed quicker. The same is true for getting off the list. Based on the IP's history it will be removed from the list after some time, based on how many reports and/or spam traps and how long sense the last stent on the list.

spamcop tracks the IP address only. That is the IP address of the SMTP that sent the email reported.

To add to what others have been said, there might be a clue in bounce message.

Some email providers are better than others at providing the information you need to track down which particular IP address triggered the rejection of an email (and why). At the very least, they should have provided the IP address that is supposedly listed in Spamcop's list. If ths is case, you will be able to use online tools to find out its current status and hopefully an explanation of what's going on. The relevant web page for the spamcop list is http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml

• 2 weeks later...

If you want to stay with Constant Contact, you'll need to do the "double opt-in email to entire user base" procedure. Otherwise, just have your client move to another ESP. Constant Contact is indeed having big problems with SCBL listings of their servers, and so they're probably trying to clean up, which is why your client is affected. They use about 50 servers to send all of their customers' broadcasts, on a randomly rotating basis, so yes, any SCBL listing of a particular server IP could be due to someone other than your client, but then they receive *some* info from SC about complaints and blocking (not nearly enough, IMO), and so if they've suspended your client, it's probably for a good reason.

I manage several CC accounts and am also a SC reporter and SC Email customer, so I have lots of insight about how this all works, and am frequently affected when one of their "bad users" causes the server through which *my* broadcast is sent to be listed. IMO, the "rules" are way too rigid, and we would all benefit from a little more common sense and flexibility.

DT

If you want to stay with Constant Contact, you'll need to do the "double opt-in email to entire user base" procedure. Otherwise, just have your client move to another ESP. Constant Contact is indeed having big problems with SCBL listings of their servers, and so they're probably trying to clean up, which is why your client is affected. They use about 50 servers to send all of their customers' broadcasts, on a randomly rotating basis, so yes, any SCBL listing of a particular server IP could be due to someone other than your client, but then they receive *some* info from SC about complaints and blocking (not nearly enough, IMO), and so if they've suspended your client, it's probably for a good reason.

I manage several CC accounts and am also a SC reporter and SC Email customer, so I have lots of insight about how this all works, and am frequently affected when one of their "bad users" causes the server through which *my* broadcast is sent to be listed. IMO, the "rules" are way too rigid, and we would all benefit from a little more common sense and flexibility.

DT

Thanks DT. We actually have decided to move to BlueHornet, hopefully we will have less problems.

Thanks

Archived