Error with Spamcop email servers?

Perhaps it would be best if a few more folks knew or had access to the email service folks, so they could be alerted/contacted when situations (seemingly ever increasing) like this occur? :blink:

Where's the "Like button"? :-)

DT

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Email Service folks use their own service for their personal email. As do I.

I don't know what's going on. I'm looking into it.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

- Service[at]Admin.SpamCop.net -

I'm glad the forums are working, or I would be in the dark completely. Good hunting.

The Email Service folks use their own service for their personal email. As do I.

Then one would think this kind of outage would get their attention a little more quickly, and that they'd have the courtesy to post something here, or on the Email News page, or on the Twitter Cesmail Status account, or all three. At least to acknowledge that there's an awareness of the issue and that someone is working on something. The lack of that is what we're all pretty upset about.

DT

As Don D'Minion said above. It's being looked into. However, it would be a smart move in future to post something on the logiin page immediately so people know that the staff are aware.

As Don D'Minion said above. It's being looked into.

...but we have no confirmation that anyone in Georgia (JT, specifically) is even aware of this or working on it. Don is aware and "looking into it" but he's in a Western state without physical access to the mail server(s). As far as we know, nothing is yet being done about this.

DT

...but we have no confirmation that anyone in Georgia (JT, specifically) is even aware of this or working on it. Don is aware and "looking into it" but he's in a Western state without physical access to the mail server(s). As far as we know, nothing is yet being done about this.

DT

I would hope that Don would be able to call/page JT. I too would feel better if I knew that the folks on site were responding.

Just conducted another test... I'm able to SEND spamcop.net emails from either the web interface or POP3 using Outlook.

So, whatever the problem is, it's only inbound emails from outside the spamcop.net (etc.) domain(s).

We can only hope that, since none of us have received "bounce" notifications on our inbound test from other sources, all of our inbound emails are "cached" "SOMEWHERE" by spamcop and "hopefully" will be processed and sent on ... at some point.

So far, IMHO, this has all the "earmarks" of the same problem that lasted for days, not all that long ago.

The lack of any communication, other than Don D'Minion's acknowledgement, is appalling, to say the least.

John

Wow. I just feel completely abandoned here. No news at all on their main webmail page, no actually NEWS from anyone. Don seems to know of the issue, but can't do anything about it? Guess I'll be looking for a new service in the very near future. This is ridiculous. :-/

Unfortunately, I cannot afford to continuing using the SpamCop filtering service. (My business just can't afford this type of open-ended outage.)

I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts about alternative services I can switch to. What filtering services have you all looked into that might be a viable alternative?

The real question is:

Has email been lost?

No I very much doubt that.

Wow. I just feel completely abandoned here. No news at all on their main webmail page, no actually NEWS from anyone. Don seems to know of the issue, but can't do anything about it? Guess I'll be looking for a new service in the very near future. This is ridiculous. :-/

Don said he was contacting them so that's what he's done. We just have to wait.

Don said he was contacting them...

Sorry to be so picky, but I don't think he really said that. "Looking into it" doesn't necessarily mean that he can contact anyone. In the absence of any other real info, it would sure be nice if Don could give us a progress report, or clarify what type of contact he has made. Vagueness and secrecy is crap.

For example, for all we know, the guy who used to run these forums (who went by the username Wazoo) might be dead, but I guess we'll never know that--or did I miss some sort of announcement when he stopped logging in here?

DT

He told me by PM that he was. That's what he meant by the post above. He wouldn't just ignore it, he never does.

You have to remember that they are 2 different departments.

He told me by PM that he was.

Oh, had you revealed this previously?

You have to remember that they are 2 different departments.

Yes, I think everyone here knows that.

DT

Also looks like the phone number on the cesmail.net DNS listing (and Chamber of Commerce listing) belongs to someone else, or else the person answering it did not want to acknowledge being associated with SpamCop email.

That's a bit worrisome--contact info on domains is required by internet regulations to be accurate and up-to-date. That number is the one showing up all over the place for Corporate Email Systems. There's also a Gmail address on the domain record, so I'll try sending a note there to see what the heck is going on.

DT

As Don said:

I'm looking into it.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

- Service[at]Admin.SpamCop.net -

That's good enough for me. He can't force the email guys to move any faster. This has been discussed so many times in this section and elsewhere.

As far as phoning them via DNS records pages, that's a subject for another thread I would imagine as phone support has been part of the deal as far as I recall.

Someone mentioned Wazoo. Not sure what happened to him, he hasn't been around for 3 years or so.

Someone mentioned Wazoo. Not sure what happened to him, he hasn't been around for 3 years or so.

His last post was in August of 2011, but for someone with such significance to this venue to just fall off the face of the earth without any sort of followup....it's just pretty weird.

DT

<snip>

The lack of any communication, other than Don D'Minion's acknowledgement, is appalling, to say the least.

...John, please be aware that the "confirmation" from Don is not communication in the sense I believe you mean (communication from someone in a position to do anything about the problem). Don is SpamCop staff and SpamCop is only associated with SpamCop e-mail to the extent of integration in some sense between the e-mail service and SpamCop's spam filtering and parsing service. E-mail is run by CES, which is not only a different department/ division but a whole separate company, entirely! The best Don can do is to try to contact the CES folks using whatever contact resources he has available to him which, hopefully, is at least somewhat more than this forum and the Twitter account.

<snip>

for someone with such significance to this venue to just fall off the face of the earth without any sort of followup....it's just pretty weird.

...Why do you say that, DT? Surely volunteers come and go from such venues all the time. Wazoo, in particular, had a very large number of "irons in the fire" and health issues so I'm actually surprised that he spent so much time here for so long, not amazed that he hasn't been "seen" for the past three years or so. :) <g> That said, there's no doubt that he's very much missed, not least by Steve/ Farelf, who's done a great job as Wazoo's replacement.

...John, please be aware that the "confirmation" from Don is not communication in the sense I believe you mean (communication from someone in a position to do anything about the problem). Don is SpamCop staff and SpamCop is only associated with SpamCop e-mail to the extent of integration in some sense between the e-mail service and SpamCop's spam filtering and parsing service. E-mail is run by CES, which is not only a different department/ division but a whole separate company, entirely! The best Don can do is to try to contact the CES folks using whatever contact resources he has available to him which, hopefully, is at least somewhat more than this forum and the Twitter account.

My intent was to acknowledge that "someone" within the "system" and with contact information that I/we are not privy to, is making an attempt to help. At least Don did communicate. That is a very far cry from the dead silence we are receiving from CES.

A appreciate Don for trying, giving credit where it's due.

My ire is focused upon CES. The lack of any response from them after attempts by the only means available to me, and the fact that this type of outage is a recurring pattern only further my displeasure.

"Your mileage may vary"...

John

The CESmail you want is located in Georgia, and their domain has a TLD of .net.

The CESmail in Raliegh, NC is actually a provider of business (snail mail) services and has a TLD of .com. I would bet those poor folks received more than one call today.

At the former you will get an answering message from someone who identifies themselves as Jeff.

Unfortunately, I cannot afford to continuing using the SpamCop filtering service.

I'd pay a bit more if I got convinced there were reliable and alert people looking after my email.

I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts about alternative services I can switch to. What filtering services have you all looked into that might be a viable alternative?

So would I.

Just to vent my bad temper a little, I've developed a mental picture of a couple of smelly individuals in a caravan somewhere, with a big bag of weed and some crates of wild turkey, chilling in front of a huge TV in their underwear, who look after my mail. I've so far managed to assure myself this is a shameful hallucination. It gets harder.

Oh whoops! Some emails are turning up...

Archived