3/29 System Outage and Maint

That link points (for me) to the main spamcop.net webpage and I don't see a thing about the email system being down.

In any event, the Email System News page my Dad can handle because I favorited it for him in his browser. All these other places to maybe find more information are not particularly helpful to him. He ought to be able to find out what's going on from the News page... system down *is* news, isn't it?

Sorry, I thought the message would be visible even if you didn't log in. It looks like a better link is this one.

I jest received a "System is up;processing queued mail. System will go down for 1-2hrs for maint when all queued mail finishes processing" message.

Were you able to login to webmaiil? I still can't. Unless it was up for a short while and then down again.

The system is down. We are going to also do some reconfig and maint. Expect the system to be down thru the evening.

I have been a Spamcop user for over 10 years. The outages and the difficulty of getting information about them are unacceptable. I would be willing to pay more for the service, but I can't justify depending on all my accounts to pop or Imap Spamcop if you are going to continue to be unreliable. Ironically, when I tried to register to make this comment, I had to wait for an email confirmation with the following message:

"The board administrator has chosen to require validation for all email addresses. Within the next 10 minutes (usually instantly) you'll receive an email with instructions on the next step. Don't worry, it won't take long before you can post!"

Guess what? It took longer than 10 minutes to be able to post, because I had no email. Email is too critical to depend on an unreliable provider. I finally changed my settings on my mail server that was relaying my other email account to Spamcop for filtering and popping to retain a copy when it forwards, so I don't have to depend on this service.

Please explain what the problem has been and what you are doing to fix it, so we can decide if we want to continue with your service.

Precisely, which is why I find it ironic that the SpamCop reporting page (which is owned by Cisco) has a friendlier message than CESmail has given us.

(I realize people are getting testy, so let's all take a deep breath.)

Testy, I was just able to get back in after how many hours? The service to me is still real slow. Has anything been fixed, I doubt it very much. It's just more of the same and in a couple of weeks from now we will all be here complaining again about the same issues.

<snip>

yet when we try to help each other because cesmail direct support is laughable, the mods "squelch" our voices. <snip>

...Sorry; there have been a small number of posts that I have removed from public view (plus a few in this Topic that I edited, but otherwise left intact). The reasoning is explained elsewhere and the Forum Admin (another volunteer) agrees that the action is appropriate. There is more to "help[ing] each other" than discussing details of competing services and there are plenty of other places on the WWW to discuss those services.

...Sorry; there have been a small number of posts that I have removed from public view (plus a few in this Topic that I edited, but otherwise left intact). The reasoning is explained elsewhere and the Forum Admin (another volunteer) agrees that the action is appropriate. There is more to "help[ing] each other" than discussing details of competing services and there are plenty of other places on the WWW to discuss those services.

Steve. Perhaps instead of just deleting / editing these messages, you could also refer the person to SpamCop98 to have them request access to the mailing list that user is running discussing said topic.

Archived