Mail Not Coming Through

It has been several minutes since I sent test mail to myself, but it's not showing up in my inbox on webmail.spamcop.net. The last spam I received is from 1 3/4 hr. ago.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It has been several minutes since I sent test mail to myself, but it's not showing up in my inbox on webmail.spamcop.net. The last spam I received is from 1 3/4 hr. ago.

looks dead to me also?

The problems continue month after month, the service is not getting any better. I've just about had it with the whole service !

The problems continue month after month, the service is not getting any better. I've just about had it with the whole service !

I use sneakemail.com in front. I might try making sneakemail direct the likely spam to spamcop.net, and the mail that comes on non-spam addresses elsewhere (e. g. Yahoo or Google). But my immediate problem is I tried to register an online account with a firm with which I already have a relationship, and their web software doesn't provide a way to resend the confirmation e-mail.

No mail since the overnight period here.....better file a bug. Glad I checked here to find I'm not alone because I called my ISP and they denied all knowledge, but then they always do.

I have a feeling, however, that this isn't SC but some blockage on the web because people are reporting no notifications arriving from forums I belong to and not all of them could possibly be SC customers.

I just sent an email to my SC address from an outside source that is unfiltered and it hasn't arrived. I think there's an as yet unannounced www breakdown somewhere.

OK turned off SC filtering then sent an email outside the system altogether and it arrived in my webmail pronto...so it must be SC however that wouldn't explain how so many people are complaining of the same thing on the forums I administer and I know for a fact they aren't using SC, so still wonder if this entirely a SC issue.

Well I dutifully did the "Report a Problem" thing although I'm never sure that works as it doesn't acknowledge that it was sent so I also emailed them. Outgoing at least is working here.

Unlike other recent outages, sc simply isn't POP'ing. For accounts it POPs, you can go to that account and read your mail. For accounts that forward, you're stuck until CES mail wakes up and whacks its server on the side.

I for one am sick of the finger-pointing that SC does to say "it's not our problem." I have a spamcop.net email address, it is damn well their problem, and they are losing customers (and therefore, reliable people who feed the database) over it.

This particular outage is more selective, in that the webmail server is still working, as is also the MX server responsible for initially accepting the messages (mx.spamcop.net). However, I just tried a "fakemail" SMTP session and when I hit the final "." to close the message, the server responded with:

451 connection to mail server timed out (#4.4.1)

which would make sense given what we're seeing. One of the servers in the colo data center in Georgia, USA is dead/not responding, and the guys in Georgia don't appear to be aware of that (the data center isn't responsible, in that it's not a fully-managed server).

BTW, neither Email_support nor Don D'Minion (SpamCopAdmin - from the reporting, not the email side) have logged into the forums for at least a week. Does anyone else feel a little abandoned?

DT

Well it seems they all sleep in very late or are otherwise incommunicado and make sure they are.

No word anywhere that acknowledges there is a problem is unacceptable. The trouble is, when it works, it's an excellent system.

Maybe I'll start PM'ing Don and other people here.

Well it seems they all sleep in very late or are otherwise incommunicado and make sure they are.

No word anywhere that acknowledges there is a problem is unacceptable. The trouble is, when it works, it's an excellent system.

Maybe I'll start PM'ing Don and other people here.

No need--they just woke up. There's now a post in this form and and also an update at: https://twitter.com/Cesmail_status

Unlike other recent outages, sc simply isn't POP'ing. For accounts it POPs, you can go to that account and read your mail. For accounts that forward, you're stuck until CES mail wakes up and whacks its server on the side.

Maybe I'm not understanding you but if I look at my mail via the webmail interface, it is accessible, but there is still nothing in there that was sent after about 1AM this morning. For example an email I sent to myself an hour ago is not there.

Maybe I'm not understanding you but if I look at my mail via the webmail interface, it is accessible, but there is still nothing in there that was sent after about 1AM this morning. For example an email I sent to myself an hour ago is not there.

Read my similar post--he's correct. The webmail is up, and the MX server is accepting connections on behalf of our mailboxes, but the "filter" server(s) aren't responding, so the MX server can't get the mail to us.

DT

I think they've made a business decision to allow the system to deteriorate, and hope that all of us will just go away... they don't want the parent company to be accused publicly of actually cutting us loose, so they just make it increasingly unpleasant.

I have several addresses that forward to my single cesmail account... and ever since SpamCop suddenly got predictably unreliable earlier this year, I now funnel all of them through a single "outside-of-spamcop" address which auto-forwards everything to cesmail.

When I discover cesmail has gone into the crapper down I now log in to my small, local ISP, turn off the forwarding to CESMAIL and copy any "lost in space" e-mails from my ISP's user-friendly archive of everything that's been forwarded to my ISP inbox. Then I configure my e-mail client to pop the ISP instead of CESMAIL, it grabs the backlog, and henceforth pops the ISP inbox in real time.

All of this reconfiguration takes three minutes, and is invisible to anyone sending or receiving e-mails (unless they want to parse the headers).

This is my Spamcop Mail redundancy protocol -- which I did not need for the first ten years.

<snip>

I for one am sick of the finger-pointing that SC does to say "it's not our problem." I have a spamcop.net email address, it is damn well their problem

<snip>

...I understand your point but it's based on a complete misconception: just because your e-mail domain mentions "spamcop" does not mean that the SpamCop staff have any control over its behavior. Maybe they should but they simply don't. That does nothing to diminish your correct point that "they are [potentially] losing customers ... over it" and I would agree that the sooner they do something about that, the better!

I also have a "spamcop email redundancy" strategy in place, in that I have my own VPS and mostly just have various addresses auto-forward to my spamcop.net mailbox. During one of the all-too-frequent outages, I decided to set up local mailboxes on my domain in addition to the forwards, and so I can log into those via webmail to access mail that is accumulating during an outage. It makes for more cleanup work for me, and time is $$$.

For a long time, I was hanging onto my two CESMail accounts because the webmail was a little more responsive than on my VPS, and also for the ease of "quick reporting," but my server has gotten better and a glitch with the reporting system caused me to report the IP of my own VPS, so I now have no reason at all to stick with this very broken system. I'll be migrating my mailboxes off of CESMail soon, as this has gone way beyond an annoyance and is now entirely unacceptable.

DT

Archived