Parsing error

In the last tow days several messages I have forwarded to Spamcop have come back with the following parsing error:

Mailhost configuration problem, identified internal IP as source

Mailhost:

Please correct this situation - register every email address where you receive spam

No source IP address found, cannot proceed.

What am I doing wrong? Please not my email provider is Yahoo.

I'm having the exact same problem.

Parsing header:

0: Received: from 98.139.244.173 (98.139.244.173) by 98.139.210.176(98.139.210.176); Thu, 08 May 2014 12:37:14 +0000

Hostname verified: web142513.mail.bf1.yahoo.com

Possible forgery. Supposed receiving system not associated with any of your mailhosts

Will not trust this Received line.

Mailhost:

Please correct this situation - register every email address where you receive spam

Add/edit your mailhost configuration

Finding full email headers

Submitting spam via email (may work better)

Example: What spam headers should look like

Nothing to do.

I've been reporting spam from that address since I joined here and have had maybe 16 spam reports fail in the last 48hrs. This is a new issue for me as well.

Submitted: May 8, 2014 10:04:54 PM GMT+07:00 +0700:

Attention

No reports filed

Submitted: May 8, 2014 10:04:32 PM GMT+07:00 +0700:

Results No: 01/05/2014

No reports filed

Submitted: May 8, 2014 10:04:11 PM GMT+07:00 +0700:

Vanguard Express World Fund Courier Service.

No reports filed

Submitted: May 8, 2014 10:03:51 PM GMT+07:00 +0700:

Audio Transcription Service Provider - USD 0.60 per audio minute

No reports filed

Submitted: May 8, 2014 10:03:28 PM GMT+07:00 +0700:

GOODNEWS

No reports filed

Submitted: May 8, 2014 5:37:25 PM GMT+07:00 +0700:

My Dear Friend Kindly Reply Urgently

No reports filed

Submitted: May 8, 2014 4:36:41 PM GMT+07:00 +0700:

GBT Bank of the Benin (CBB)

No reports filed

My reporting method is to get the email source directly from Mac Mail and paste that into SC's reporting page. The spams are coming to a free Yahoo acct.

Let me know if I can supply any more info.

I have the exact same problem with email coming via Yahoo, and initially thought I'd somehow messed up my mailhost configuration (see here).

I'm glad I'm not imagining things! Hopefully between us we'll be able to come up with something useful that will help the gurus track down what's going on.

edit: here's a tracking link for one of the emails I've been unable to report: http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z5887732728z4...85db62b0aa5eb9z

I have the exact same problem with email coming via Yahoo, and initially thought I'd somehow messed up my mailhost configuration (see here).

I'm glad I'm not imagining things! Hopefully between us we'll be able to come up with something useful that will help the gurus track down what's going on.

edit: here's a tracking link for one of the emails I've been unable to report: http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z5887732728z4...85db62b0aa5eb9z

This just happened again. Did Yahoo change something?

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z5887753314z4...16854fe462df87z

I have been reporting from yahoo for a long time without problems and suddenly today all of the spam I submit from there is giving me a mailhost problem.

This is what I'm getting.

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z5887748477z5...587118e60483dez

Mailhost:

Nothing to do.

Can anyone help me? Do I need to pick a different value from the dropdown for yahoo? There are so many I wouldn't know which to choose.

thanks

This just happened again. Did Yahoo change something?

That's a possibility I thought of.

I gave up trying to report spam directly to Yahoo several years ago as a bad joke.

Hi, fragile,

...Please have a look at SpamCop Forum article "Configuring Yahoo mailhosts" and let us know whether that seems to fit your situation and, if not, please let us know what is different in your case. The error message you post seems somewhat different, so I am expecting that your situation may not be the same.

...If no one else happens by here with helpful advice, please contact Don D'Minion (user SpamCopAdmin) at the e-mail address at the end of his reply in the other article.

I reported another spam message and received the sam,e rtesponse:

Mailhost:

Nothing to do.

So I went to "Add/edit your mail host configuration" link and my Yahoo address is not there!

How could that happen? I added that address back in the stone age when I signed up!

Actually the Yahoo acct is the same address I use for sign in to SC!

wth.

OK so I TRIED to reinstate my yahoo address and replied the special emails back to the special SC address and that failed. What is going on here?

On the page "Complex header analysis" I get this explanation:

"SpamCop could not automatically identify any additional email accounts from this sample. The most common reason for this is that the email account you have configured is being forwarded to another mail host. Each mail host must be configured individually (click "try again" and enter the email address of the final destination account). Please select from the options below."

I'm then given these options:

"Delete all configuration for _____[at]yahoo.com

Removing this configuration allows you to start over or give up. You can try again by selecting "Mailhosts".

Try again..

Here, you can send additional sample emails to your accounts.

Request waiver..

If the mailhost for _____[at]yahoo.com uses a complicated configuration using multiple different domains, you may request that a SpamCop administrator review this sample and manually categorize this mail host. Until this process is complete, you cannot report spam."

So I need to request a waiver?

I have been reporting from yahoo for a long time without problems and suddenly today all of the spam I submit from there is giving me a mailhost problem.

This is what I'm getting.

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z5887748477z5...587118e60483dez

So I went to "Add/edit your mail host configuration" link and my Yahoo address is not there!

How could that happen? I added that address back in the stone age when I signed up!

<snip>

...Please see SpamCopAdmin reply in Forum Topic "Configuring Yahoo mailhosts." Basically, we don't "own" "our" mailhost configuration entries; SpamCop manages and exercises all control over them.

Alrighty then!

Got the waiver email, "Hello SpamCop user,

Your waiver request has been processed. You should now be able to report

spam through your account: _______[at]yahoo.com.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin - "

then I went to report my first spam of the day and still would not go thru. So I started this post, went back to the email and FWD'ed it to SC and still the same result.

"Hostname verified: web142514.mail.bf1.yahoo.com

Possible forgery. Supposed receiving system not associated with any of your mailhosts

Will not trust this Received line.

Mailhost:

Nothing to do."

...Please see SpamCopAdmin reply in Forum Topic "Configuring Yahoo mailhosts." Basically, we don't "own" "our" mailhost configuration entries; SpamCop manages and exercises all control over them.

Yahoo changed their headers and SpamCop is having trouble with them. It could go on for a while. We're working with Yahoo to get it fixed.

All you can do for now is keep trying, and delete what you can't report.

Sorry for all the trouble.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

- Service[at]Admin.SpamCop.net -

Another odd thing is 10-30% were being processed normally.

Yahoo changed their headers and SpamCop is having trouble with them. It could go on for a while. We're working with Yahoo to get it fixed.

At this point I am not going to bother reporting any spam. I'll check back in the future to see if this starts working again.

Today, I received occurrence number 12 of these "identified internal IP as source" spam emails that Spamcop cannot seem to trace without human intervention. WHILE I APPRECIATE SPAMCOP ADMIN'S CONTINUING AND ONGOING ASSISTANCE WITH THEM, I simply do not have the time or inclination to continue to submit these spam emails "back-channel", as doing so introduces an inordinate and unacceptable delay in correctly identifying their true source. Changing email providers is not a viable option for me at this point either.

Spamcop is obviously vulnerable to being bamboozled by what appears to be an issue with flawed Yahoo! headers, and I therefore cannot continue to utilize Spamcop to parse spam I receive in my Yahoo! email until this issue is rectified. I will therefore use my own devices as best I can to trace the spam headers and submit reports to the originating ISPs. Or, failing in that and as appears much more likely, I will simply shut up and eat my spam.

Good luck with fixing this, Spamcop. I really do like your service and hope you can one day rectify this situation.

I'm not *knowingly* using a Yahoo mailhost, but today I received an email that wouldn't parse - suggesting I had misconfigured mailhosts.

Looking at the header, I can't see where this email came from either..

Tracking URL for anyone who can solve this conundrum;

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z5890990855zf...3df37c8c09bc3fz

Grateful for assembled wisdom to educate me !

C2H5OH

I'm not *knowingly* using a Yahoo mailhost, but today I received an email that wouldn't parse - suggesting I had misconfigured mailhosts.

Looking at the header, I can't see where this email came from either.

I looked at the details in your TU, and I have seen this phenomenon before, earlier this year. It's the SpamCop parser code's fault--it chokes on certain extraneous upper-ASCII characters at the beginning of a "Received" header line and it winds up with a bad parse. Even though my MailHosts are properly configured, it wound up falsely accusing my own server, so my host got notified (I was using Quick Reporting, but NEVER AGAIN!). Here are the two recent forum topics about this very problem:

http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=13946

http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=13831

DT

Thanks David.

If I can drag the offending email out of the trash I might try fixing the headers as suggested. Won't report it though..

Here's what it would look like with the corrected Received: header - an un-mailhosted parse but mailhosted should end up with the same result. 192.168.0.0/16 is reserved for internal network use and the parser really should ignore that 'Received: from 192.168.0.37 ...' line.

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z5891268228z2...02ac3e78559b4bz

Those are funky headers.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's what it would look like with the corrected Received: header - an un-mailhosted parse but mailhosted should end up with the same result. 192.168.0.0/16 is reserved for internal network use and the parser really should ignore that 'Received: from 192.168.0.37 ...' line.

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z5891268228z2...02ac3e78559b4bz

Those are funky headers.

For awhile this stopped happening much for me. Now I am seeing this problem regularly again.

Archived