[Resolved] Only half of email submitted reports coming through

wa2ibm

For about the last week when reporting spam via email submission, only about half of the submissions make it into the spamcop system and show up in my "Report spam" queue.

Sometimes, the missing reports will show up hours or days later. It's as if there are multiple mail routing paths between my ISP and spamcop, and one of the paths is being held up.

I'm using an agent in my IBM (Lotus) Notes client to report the spam and I can see the reporting email leaving my mail server and going to my ISP (mail.sonic.net).

Is anyone else seeing this happen?

Bill

Hi, Bill,

...Fortunately, I have not recently had any spam I cared to report, so I can't say whether or not I would have the same experience. However, have you looked at the SpamCop FAQ article "Emailed spam Submissions Disappearing? No Confirmation e-mails?" to see if anything there appears relevant to your situation?

...There do seem to be some problems with the SpamCop web site, though, so perhaps that is a sign that there are general problems with SpamCop that could also be causing the issue you are experiencing.

Delays in reported spam finding its way to spamcop triggers a vague recollection of something similar happening with me from time to time, usually when reporting via Hotmail/MSN/Outlook or Yahoo. I usually attribute it to the luck of the draw when a relatively large email provider's systen goes about organizing its outbound mail queue. What I usually imagine happening is that sometimes the email I send hits an outgoing server with a light load, and sometimes it hits an outgoing server with a heavier load.

I have looked over that article, but nothing pops out there. The article implies that the reporting is not getting ANY replies to ANY submitted spam. In my case, many of the reported spams are getting through and I'm receiving the appropriate response. Yet, some are not making it through.

I've been using this submission method for years now. The only explainable failures are when the spam being reported contains a virus. In that case, my ISP will refuse to take the emailed report and it'll sit in my outbound mail queue with the appropriate error message posted in the mail log. Those I can understand.

Additionally, the failures noted in the FAQ entry were permanent, but the ones I'm talking about eventually do make it through, just days later. Still sounds like a blocked queue somewhere out of my view.

Hi, Bill,

...Yes, I see what you mean about the SpamCop FAQ article implying that no replies ever come but I think while that is the usual case it may not always be so -- a failure or delay can occur on any spam submitted via e-mail anywhere along the process described under "TECHNICAL DETAILS."

...Nevertheless, I would have thought it more likely that the general problems afflicting SpamCop and CES are more likely to be the cause of your problem. Conflicting with that supposition is the fact that there are no "me, too" posts, which suggests that something may be amiss between you and SpamCop. You may wish to send an e-mail with a brief explanation of your problem directly to the SpamCop Deputies at e-mail address deputies[at]admin.spamcop.net.

• 2 weeks later...

I sent a detailed note to my ISP (sonic.net) telling them what's been going on, including a link to this forum topic.

They've reported back that some of my emails going to my spamcop submit address were being quarantined because, surprise, they looked "spammy". Well, imagine that!

For now, they have whitelisted my email address to allow them through. I suggested that anything headed to "submit.<anything>[at]spam.spamcop.net" be whitelisted, both for for looking "spammy" and for containing viruses and such.

When the whitelist took hold, I received over 70 responses from Spamcop letting me know they'd gotten there, some as old as 21.5 days.

Thanks for listening, issue resolved for now!

Heartening that SOME ISPs are willing and able to make such accommodations. Unlike the "big boys" (especially #*$! Outlook/Hotmail, but that's another movie). Yes, thanks for feedback and good news Bill.

• 4 weeks later...

...Nevertheless, I would have thought it more likely that the general problems afflicting SpamCop and CES are more likely to be the cause of your problem. Conflicting with that supposition is the fact that there are no "me, too" posts, which suggests that something may be amiss between you and SpamCop.

Me too. Yahoo starting Jul 21, I've gotten no responses to a dozen sent.

Hi, WHRoeder,

...Sorry to hear that. Was the FAQ article to which I referred earlier 88884[/snapback] any help? Are you able to confirm that e-mails you send from your Yahoo!Mail account to other, non-SpamCop, recipients are delivered? Does Yahoo admin to blocking them?

Tried sending a report from yahoo and gmail, to both myself and spamcop.
...And are the ones you are sending to yourself arriving?
<snip>

clicking on the link in the autoresponder went to the submit page.

...Oh, you are receiving the SpamCop responses to your spam submissions via e-mail? I thought that your original post was saying that you did not:
Me too. Yahoo starting Jul 21, I've gotten no responses to a dozen sent.
Which am I misreading?

...If you are inclined to do so, could you please post the content of the autoresponder here, with any personally identifying information, such as your submission account ID, removed?

I thought that your original post was saying that you did not:Which am I misreading?

Neither.

A) I've never used the responder emails, I've always auto-deleted them. I simply monitor the main page for

Unreported spam Saved: Report Now

You have submitted spam which has not yet been reported. Please avoid re-reporting spam. If you have already reported this spam or do not want to report it, please make sure to click "cancel" instead of submitting the report!

Since that never appeared, I assumed emails were being lost.

B) I stopped the auto-delete, click on the responder link and got to the report page, but the main page still showed no messages waiting.

===

Yesterday I cleared the pending via the remove link. Had 27 unreachable (no pending and deleted responders.)

Today (Jul 26) the main page shows pending reports.

Archived