Thousands of domains blocked?

MikeStarr

I've gotten spamcop block notifications a couple times in the last month or so.

550-"JunkMail rejected - lpmail03.lunariffic.com [74.50.13.95]:35386 is in an

550 RBL

I called my hosting company's tech support line and was told that there are possibly thousands of domains that might be assigned to the same mail server IP address and when spamcop blocks the IP address, all of the users of that mail server IP address get blocked. Here I am, an innocent bystander... I'm the holder of my domain registration and the only user. The fault is apparently due to some other domain that just happens to be hosted by the same company and thus it's assigned the same IP address as the mail server for my own domain. So apparently possibly tens of thousands of innocent bystanders like me get blocked because of this system design. Is there no way to build a system more granular than that?

I've gotten spamcop block notifications a couple times in the last month or so.

550-"JunkMail rejected - lpmail03.lunariffic.com [74.50.13.95]:35386 is in an

550 RBL

I called my hosting company's tech support line and was told that there are possibly thousands of domains that might be assigned to the same mail server IP address and when spamcop blocks the IP address, all of the users of that mail server IP address get blocked. Here I am, an innocent bystander... I'm the holder of my domain registration and the only user. The fault is apparently due to some other domain that just happens to be hosted by the same company and thus it's assigned the same IP address as the mail server for my own domain. So apparently possibly tens of thousands of innocent bystanders like me get blocked because of this system design. Is there no way to build a system more granular than that?

Hi and sorry to hear about your problems. The short answer to your final question is 'no'. SpamCop knows nothing of domains and lists on the ONLY thing that can not be forged: the sending IP. If your host is not controlling spam from his server then you are not getting the service you are paying for. A good proactive host will heed the reports and cut off the abusing/infected customer very quickly. That way blocklists are avoided. Don't shoot the messenger, you need to spend your hosting money elsewhere.

Edit: checking up on the blocklist and senderbase it seems that your host has a large number of SMTPs an unhealthy number of which have a 'Poor' reputation. Also they are ignoring/bouncing reports from SpamCop so seem not to want to know:

Parsing input: 74.50.13.95
[report history]
Routing details for 74.50.13.95
[refresh/show] Cached whois for 74.50.13.95 : hostmaster[at]lunarpages.com
Using abuse net on hostmaster[at]lunarpages.com
abuse net lunarpages.com = hostmaster[at]lunarpages.com, postmaster[at]lunarpages.com
Using best contacts hostmaster[at]lunarpages.com postmaster[at]lunarpages.com
hostmaster[at]lunarpages.com bounces (7 sent : 6 bounces)
Using hostmaster#lunarpages.com[at]devnull.spamcop.net for statistical tracking.

Definitely time to find a new host!

• 2 weeks later...

Another option would be to move to an entry-level VPS (virtual private server) account somewhere, because with a VPS, you'll have your own dedicated IP and you won't be as likely to be guilty by association with bad neighbors. I don't think LunarPages is a particularly good choice, and by searching around independent review sites, you'll probably find some good deals on VPS plans.

DT

Archived