SpamCop Email Service Changes

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I said earlier All settings are now at http://www.spamcop.net/ Preference tab where you can set forwarding to your address. All POP/IMAP settings should have been cancelled at SC Webmail before the change. If you had mail stored in folders at Webmail, you've lost it as the notice went out literally ages ago and it was posted on the log-in page and News for quite a long while too.

I don't understand anyone using such a service and never bothering to check the web pages all that time.

Edited by Ex_Brit

• 2 months later...

I can't log in to stop Spamcop.net from scraping my other e-mail accounts and it grabs the e-mail from my other addresses, then it drops the e-mail on the floor and washes it away. It looks like it will continue to do this until my account expires in the middle of next year.

And there is absolutely no way to talk to a person about this. And when you finally break through and register here, it happily accepts your spamcop.net address to send the authorization information to... All the Unix types I met at Usenix back in '84 were smarter than that. What did they do? Switch to linux?

And all of the "Before you post" pages give a 404 message... or the equivalent. Clearly somebody went out for beer and pizza and never returned...

I can't log in to Spamcop.net

And there is absolutely no way to talk to a person about this. And when you finally break through and register here, it happily accepts your spamcop.net address to send the authorization information to the machine you can't logon to... All the Unix types I met at Usenix back in '84 were smarter than that. What did they do? Switch to linux?

Linux aint Unix..... :(

I can't log in to stop Spamcop.net from scraping my other e-mail accounts and it grabs the e-mail from my other addresses, then it drops the e-mail on the floor and washes it away. It looks like it will continue to do this until my account expires in the middle of next year.

And there is absolutely no way to talk to a person about this. And when you finally break through and register here, it happily accepts your spamcop.net address to send the authorization information to... All the Unix types I met at Usenix back in '84 were smarter than that. What did they do? Switch to linux?

... And there is absolutely no way to talk to a person about this. And when you finally break through and register here, it happily accepts your spamcop.net address to send the authorization information to...

E-mail Richard W at deputies[at]admin.spamcop.net to see if he can help with your forwarding problems.

Perhaps this will work. Thanks for the address, I searched many hours to find a contact address. I hoped that it really wasn't necessary to join a forum just to find out how to get my account deleted. (Or the better solution.)

Thank you both. Richard used the more elegant solution and set the Spamcop address to forward to one of my other addresses. That took less time than writing the original request!

Edited by Foolishnes

<snip>

I hoped that it really wasn't necessary to join a forum just to find out how

<snip>

&nbsp &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Well, it wasn't really necessary -- you could have used the Forum search feaature or Google without joining the Forum but it was almost certainly easier to join and post the question that it would have been to find the contact address with a search! :) <g> I'm glad it worked out -- thanks for taking the time to let us know!

Edited by turetzsr
Corrected spelling of "feature"

• 10 months later...

So ... as everyone knows, Spamcop stopped their email support. They were nice enough to provide one year's forwarding. That year has expired, but they haven't stopped forwarding, instead they've stopped FILTERING. As a result, I am now getting a dozen spams a day - forwarded from spamcop.

There doesn't appear to be a way to turn off forwarding. I found the submission form to change where it's forwarded to, but leaving the field blank doesn't appear to stop the darned spam.

If anyone knows how to stop the spam, please let me know!

Just have SpamCop forward to a Gmail account which is very good at stopping inbox spam
I remember Cisco stating that they would keep SpamCop alive for at least 12 months and longer but no guarantees after 12 months as it was not much of a problem

Bit vague about them turning filtering off?

> Bit vague about them turning filtering off?

Yep, I even got a deputy to admit it, seems some people wanted all the spam so they could report it. My email provider won't filter it 'cuz it's from a trusted source (Spamcop - although why someone would trust a spam-forwarding service is beyond me)

Deputy said to try forwarding to 'blank' again, and so far I haven't received any more. Keeping my fingers crossed.

> Bit vague about them turning filtering off?

Yep, I even got a deputy to admit it, seems some people wanted all the spam so they could report it. My email provider won't filter it 'cuz it's from a trusted source (Spamcop - although why someone would trust a spam-forwarding service is beyond me)

Deputy said to try forwarding to 'blank' again, and so far I haven't received any more. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Got to admit I like pulling the wings off spammers.

Again Gmail is the way to go (they do electronically read everything sent and received and GOOD at ir)

Also believe one also needs a VPN nowadays encrypts everything out and back to you.

• 1 month later...