CESmail System changes

{

sigh} not to mention an almost infinite number of other, perhaps more charitable, explanations.

As for "take-the-money-and-run scam" - really? After all these years of super-cheap subscriptions (matching the service with the economy IS proving a bit of a challenge when looking for alternatives, isn't it?)..

Hardly infinite, and none particularly charitable. It's really irrelevant whether Cisco or CESmail initiated the termination.

The "take-the-money" quip was in response to others' speculating whether there would be refunds when they were accepting payments up to the day of the announcement, and made no mention of refunds.

The fact remains that the Cisco "forwarding service" is dangerous unless there is access to the culled spam or the ability to disable filtering.

Edited by mshalperin

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The "take-the-money" quip was in response to others' speculating whether there would be refunds when they were accepting payments up to the day of the announcement, and made no mention of refunds.

No matter when or how such a decision or announcement is made, there will always be someone just on the wrong side of the line. If they had announced they were closing in 6 months:

* People could rightly complained that they just renew for a year. As is the case now.

* Others (as now) would be in the position either renewing or only having days to restructure their email.

It is just not practical to maintain the whole system until the last current account runs out - in other words for more than a year from now to cover those that just renews. That would require someone to pay the "light bill" for the next year without any more money coming in. Just not realistic.

No matter when or how such a decision or announcement is made, there will always be someone just on the wrong side of the line... It is just not practical to maintain the whole system until the last current account runs out

Which is why when a service is cancelled, prorated refunds are offered. The that there was no mention of any in the announcement indicates that refunds are not currently being considered. Refunds may not be possible if CESmail is bankrupt or assets seized, but do you really think they had no idea if plans to terminate service Saturday afternoon (when they were still accepting payments)?

Which is why when a service is cancelled, prorated refunds are offered. The that there was no mention of any in the announcement indicates that refunds are not currently being considered. Refunds may not be possible if CESmail is bankrupt or assets seized, but do you really think they had no idea if plans to terminate service Saturday afternoon (when they were still accepting payments)?

I've just written to them and asked a) if refunds are given, for how long after payment date and B) I also asked what happens when legitimate mail gets caught as spam. I'll post what they say.

Edited by Ex_Brit

The actually responded to my original letter of 2 days ago

I guess my public criticism during the multiple system outages in recent months have resulted in my tickets and questions being ignored, despite having paid for multiple accounts for many years. I'll update this if I receive a response.

DT

I guess my public criticism during the multiple system outages in recent months have resulted in my tickets and questions being ignored

No, it's not just you. My ticket is being ignored too, and I've never criticized anybody at Spamcop--never even commented on this forum or submitted a ticket about outages. They're probably just swamped with questions right now.

At least we now have an explanation for the outages. It was known that the system was going away, so there was no reason to waste resources on fixing it.

That assumes the decision was made before the outages began. Which is a possibility, but far from a sure thing.

OK I heard back from Support

I asked 2 questions:

Can you clarify what happens when legitimate mail gets labelled as spam

which does happen from time to time, will it be discarded or forwarded,

labelled as such?

Could you also advise, as I just renewed for a year, if I change my mind

can I obtain a refund and for how long after the payment date?

The answer:

I am awaiting clarification from Cisco as to whether mail classified as spam will be bounced or discarded.

I'm sorry but there are no refunds.

So I guess more to come.....??!!

As an exercise I set up SC and Fastmail as if the cut had already occurred and it works a treat, so no problems there. No mean considering I have 12 email addresses on (at least) 2 mail clients on each of 4 OS's, not to mention my tablets to think of.

Edited by Ex_Brit

As an exercise I set up SC and Fastmail as if the cut had already occurred and it works a treat, so no problems there.

No question that the forwarding will work, but all the spam filtering tools are gone, grey, white, black listing, being able to release mail falsely flagged as spam, being able to see what mail is flagged as spam. What's left is pretty much useless.

Will it be possible to change the forwarding email address on October 1 and after???

I use SpamCop . . . to provide SMTP . . . .
Also-Plus-Too... I realize this is a little late to the party, but I was not aware that SpamCop provided ANY SMTP (outgoing server) service. Have I been uninformed for the last 15 or so years?

And, finally, I will miss all of you. I have interacted very little on these here forums here, but you've all been so kind and helpful no matter what level of petty bitching I've tossed in. Including one guy who went in and cleaned up a lot of posts which included my email address [at]spamcop.net.

Best wishes to all of you. And if you're ever in Columbus, Ohio ring me up.

Edited by svanslyck

Will it be possible to change the forwarding email address on October 1 and after???

Yes, they are adding a new page to the reporting system to control that, just for us.

"There will be a webform on the reporting site http:spamcop.net for changing your forwarding address (AFTER Sept 30) or to stop forwarding (i.e. shutdown the spamcop/cesmail/cqmail.net email address). "

No surprise. I never checked the forums, only the SpamCop documentation pages. Who'd've thought they might have written something there.

You're not missing much. It's not even enabled by default due to problems with compromised accounts sending spam. CES would only enable it if you knew to request it.

No question that the forwarding will work, but all the spam filtering tools are gone, grey, white, black listing, being able to release mail falsely flagged as spam, being able to see what mail is flagged as spam. What's left is pretty much useless.

The only benefit is that email forwarded will be spam checked using the Cisco Reputation system, whatever that is.