CESmail System changes

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only benefit is that email forwarded will be spam checked using the Cisco Reputation system, whatever that is.

Can you "cite" that please I seem to of missed it

To me a good thing if true

Regarding spamcop SMTP

You're not missing much. It's not even enabled by default due to problems with compromised accounts sending spam. CES would only enable it if you knew to request it.

In my case, I had been using spamcop SMTP for years, until one day a few years back they shut off my access (and others I believe) without notice, about the time posts here were saying you now had to request it.

At that time I found it easier to switch to an alternate SMTP facility, but in the last few months found that it (my alternate) was going away.

SO, wrote to email support, asking to get my SMTP access re-enabled. They replied, in essence; "No.", with no explanation.

Still steamed about the mail-shut off, but realizing that between the SMTP blow-off and the unreliable servers, I'm not going to be missing spamcop email much. I'll happily pass out a new email address. Will keep the SC forwarding on for as long as it's free, to catch the stragglers.

The one bright spot in this is that my many and various registrations at different sites & mailing lists are all sneakemail.com forwarding addresses, which will be easy to re-direct in bulk to the new mailbox. Otherwise I'd be really steamed!

I am just so confused about this.

As I understand it, from Sep 30, email addressed to my [at]spamcop.net email address will be spam-checked by a different system, 'Cisco Reputation System', and good emails then forwarded to a nominated separate email address. I won't be able to review emails considered as spam any more, but this Cisco Reputation System is supposed to be pretty good, so perhaps that's not such a downside. I won't get any refund on my Spamcop subscription. My [at]spamcop.net address is only guaranteed for a year.

OK, got all that. My question is, what then is left of Spamcop? Their email says 'SpamCop will continue to focus on providing the World's best spam reporting platform and blacklist for the community.' But if it's Cisco Reputation System doing the spam control from now on, how does this 'best spam reporting platform and blacklist' actually get accessed?

Am I missing something here?

The reporting system and SCBL aren't very dependent on the SC email system. If I understand correctly, most of the data feeding the reporting side of things (the part owned by Cisco) doesn't come from people who use "spamcop.net" (or "cesmail.net") email addresses, but rather from people (and/or automated processes) submitting spam to the reporting side, and especially the submissions from "spamtrap" addresses, so taking our "Held mail reporting" out of the picture won't result in any significant change in the data flow that feeds the reporting/reputation/blacklist side. You first paragraph is all correct, but your question isn't particularly relevant, in that there won't be any significant change to the spam-reporting platform and blacklist elements of SpamCop.

DT

Edited by DavidT

No, the forum is actually owned by the guy who owns/runs the email system--not all that separate at all. I sent an email to the "questions" address, which opened a ticket and he hasn't responded. He's clearly dodging questions about refunds. I'm thinking he might pull the plug on the forums as well.

DT

Does anyone know if there is any plan for the forums? Although the email service is going away, it seems like there will still be a need for some kind of communication regarding the reporting system.

Is there a discussion somewhere I missed? Or is this even the right forum for my question? Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

My [at]spamcop.net address is only guaranteed for a the remainder of my subscription and maybe then only at the whim of SpamCop.

OK, got all that. During my subscription all mail forwarded to SpamCop by my many domains will be handled by the purported much better Cisco Reputation Systems and then FORWARDED to the single email address we provide. OK follow that so far.

(I'm frequently wrong with generalizations but isn't the bulk of the worlds email traveling through many Cisco routers and yet all this spam gets through?)

I have small office Cisco (Linksys) routers for wired and WiFi internet access. now Could they be configured to reach out to Cisco to run these Reputation filters?

My question really is twofold. (maybe more)

One: Can I just subscribe directly to the Cisco Reputation System if I quit worrying about "reporting" spam? I couldn't find a Cisco page to subscribe and filter all my mail through the Reputation System before forwarding it to an eMail address of my choice.

QuestionOne continued: So does that mean that if I am able to keep paying SpamCop subscriptions somewhere then I would automatically be using the Cisco filter service after Sep30 and then remaining mail would be forwarded all nice and cleaned up?

and

Two: Where exactly will I renew SpamCop subscription if I wish to continue the "automatic reporting" process now that Cisco Reputation System filtering at SpamCop servers rather than my custom SpamCop settings will be used? If SpamCop business is in the process of randomly shutting down what confidence do I have that my annual subscription will actually last a year?

Oh wait, one more, is there a page on SpamCop where we can see exactly what will remain after Sep30 so we can judge the capabilities and configuration that we can or have to use?

SCdog

HELP ...

SpamCop has been my daily friend since the very, very beginning ... the service has been immaculate ... the few 'burps' have been remedied quickly and effectively. I've NEVER seen another provider, not even NetworkSolutions who could even operate in the same ballpark with SpamCop.

That's why I'm crying.

SpamCop has worked TOO WELL ... I've got 60 folders, with mail running back several years... 120 filters . . . dozens of signatures and "drafts" ... stationary, templates, etc., and it all works flawlessly, exactly like I want it to.

DO YOU HAVE SUGGESTIONS on how to save and move all this -- in tact ????

Is there a backup method that will keep everything as it is????

Does anyone reading this know how to set up this exact HORDE locally on a Mac, so I don't have to lose it????

Does anyone know how to back-up the THOUSANDS of emails in the database ????

Does anyone know of a service I can HIRE to do the migration ????

:(

I've been shopping for a service offering HORDE to try and duplicate this experience . . . I found one, but the HORDE isn't anything like this version, and has done away with many of the features I've come to love. I'm open to suggestions.

My [at]spamcop.net address is only guaranteed for a the remainder of my subscription and maybe then only at the whim of SpamCop.

~~~~~~ The forwarding will be active for at least 12 months after the shutdown.

OK, got all that. During my subscription all mail forwarded to SpamCop by my many domains will be handled by the purported much better Cisco Reputation Systems and then FORWARDED to the single email address we provide. OK follow that so far.

~~~~~~~ Yes this is true.

(I'm frequently wrong with generalizations but isn't the bulk of the worlds email traveling through many Cisco routers and yet all this spam gets through?)

~~~~ Internet traffic flows thru many routers, some built by Cisco and some from other companies and thru many peering points. The routers are just that -- devices that route traffic and not spam filters ~~~

I have small office Cisco (Linksys) routers for wired and WiFi internet access. now Could they be configured to reach out to Cisco to run these Reputation filters?

~~~~ No ~~~~~

My question really is twofold. (maybe more)

One: Can I just subscribe directly to the Cisco Reputation System if I quit worrying about "reporting" spam? I couldn't find a Cisco page to subscribe and filter all my mail through the Reputation System before forwarding it to an eMail address of my choice.

~~~ No, the Cisco Reputation system is part of the software that runs on Cisco mail servers. It is not independently available to end users ~~~~

QuestionOne continued: So does that mean that if I am able to keep paying SpamCop subscriptions somewhere then I would automatically be using the Cisco filter service after Sep30 and then remaining mail would be forwarded all nice and cleaned up?

~~~ You don't need to pay SC subscriptions. The forwarding will be provided free for at least 12 months after the CESmail email system shuts down on Sept 30. If your CESmail email address is currently active, it will continue to be active ~~~~

and

Two: Where exactly will I renew SpamCop subscription if I wish to continue the "automatic reporting" process now that Cisco Reputation System filtering at SpamCop servers rather than my custom SpamCop settings will be used? If SpamCop business is in the process of randomly shutting down what confidence do I have that my annual subscription will actually last a year?

~~~ There is no automatic reporting (i.e. report as spam button) after the CESmail email shutdown. You can report on the reporting website http://www.spamcop.net using copy/paste or you can email your spam to your unique reporting address as attachments ~~~

Oh wait, one more, is there a page on SpamCop where we can see exactly what will remain after Sep30 so we can judge the capabilities and configuration that we can or have to use?

~~~ What will remain after Sept 30th is the spam reporting system (see above) ~~~~~

DO YOU HAVE SUGGESTIONS on how to save and move all this -- in tact ????

Is there a backup method that will keep everything as it is????

Depends on where you want to move it to. More than one email service that can directly import your current spamcop folders has been discussed in the "Spamcop Alternatives?" topic in this forum, and also see "Is there some way to export whole folders?..." topic.

http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=14275

http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=3411

I'm now using pobox.com, they have an an "import" function which can duplicate all your current spamcop folders and pull in the messages. All they need are the spamcop IMAP server name and your log in credentials. This worked flawlessly for me, although if you have a lot of email it will take a while. Some other vendors offer this type of thing as well. Again, I suggest you see the above mentioned thread.

Does anyone reading this know how to set up this exact HORDE locally on a Mac, so I don't have to lose it????

HORDE is a web-based email client that runs on a web server in "cloud" territory, so that you may access it from generic web browsers. Not something you'd run on a mac.

I have a mac and for years have used the apple's standard mail app, using IMAP to sync up with all my spamcop folders. I can't think of anything it doesn't do that HORDE does, and it does it all faster. I have verified that all mail in all folders is already duplicated on my mac, meaning when I stop IMAP polling of spamcop servers, all the mail is still duplicated on the mac hard drive as of the last poll. I intend to leave it there, at least for a while.

The key is to stop syncing IMAP with spamcop after you have set up spamcop forwarding to your new email, but before they get close to shutting down the spamcop email (to minimize the risk of possibly syncing to empty spamcop folders, should it happen in that order - which is unlikely but hey...)

Should you get a new email provider who does not offer the "import" function, if you set up mail app to use IMAP you should still be able to copy/drag email from the old (at this point off-line) spamcop folders to your new service's folders. There might be a better way to do that, but off the top of my head that should still work. It'll take a LONG time as all that stored email will have to squeeze through your upload pipe.

Does anyone know how to back-up the THOUSANDS of emails in the database ????

Again the question is "back up to where?" See all the above and suggested threads.

Does anyone know of a service I can HIRE to do the migration ????

I don't, but there's always "consultants" waiting to take your money...

I've been shopping for a service offering HORDE to try and duplicate this experience . . . I found one, but the HORDE isn't anything like this version, and has done away with many of the features I've come to love. I'm open to suggestions.

This isn't what you want to hear, but I encourage you to give alternatives like fastmail or pobox a try. I didn't try fastmail. Pobox.com is missing a few spamcop features but it wasn't a deal killer for me. I've detailed them in the "alternatives" topic.

Wish I could do more for ya...

STUPID QUESTION :

if I hook up POP now, will it get everything currently stored in my Spamcop account?

Where do I find the POP or IMAP instructions?

---------

BTW : at 9,000 + members, [at] $29 per year, a QUARTER MILLION dollars a year seems like enough for someone else to pick up the torch ???? Wouldn't you think? Is the Spamcop.net domain going to be for sale?

Edited by showker

Is the Spamcop.net domain going to be for sale?

I don't think so, That would require all spam reporting to change: quick.xxxxxx[at]spam.spamcop.net for example.

Sounds like lots of money, but what is the cost of bandwidth for 9,000 users? storage for users that keep hundreds of old emails (from what I read). Besides, you couldn't pay me enough to deal with customer service.

STUPID QUESTION :

if I hook up POP now, will it get everything currently stored in my Spamcop account?

I don't think so. POP usually only grabs new mail out of the main inbox. I don't think it knows how to deal with old mail or folders. AFAIK. That stuff is what IMAP was made for.

EDIT: Oops, I see gmail can import old mail using POP3. Well, I haven't fooled with POP for a while now, so my advice isn't worth too much on that. So a more correct answer to your question might be; depends on where you want to POP it to (which you haven't said). I don't know if the apple mail app can scoop up your old mail via POP; perhaps it can via a settings tweak (I"m far away from my mac right now, couldn't tell ya). I do know for a fact IMAP will get everything.

Where do I find the POP or IMAP instructions?

Spamcop wiki linked at the top of this page will get you started. Google is your friend. Or fiend, as the case may be.

http://forum.spamcop.net/scwik/IMAP

Edited by silentlarry

I don't think there are 900, much less 9,000 CESMail customers. Where did you get that number?

DT

Maybe from the number of registered members for these forums? That seems to be 10000+, but I don't think that has any meaningful correlation to the number of subscribers to the email service.

• 1 month later...

Oops, never mind again. See replies below.

Oops, never mind, I found the info..."Preferences" -> "Add Fuel"

I'm now on the other side of a decade or more of $30/yr Spamcop mail service. It occurs to me that I have no earthly idea how to pay for any of this now (or if I even have to).

I see I've been "converted" to a "flat rate" account but I have no idea what this means.

I see that I have some "fuel" left from the last big CES meltdown, and I recall in the dim and distant past paying for fuel. Is this still how things work? And, if so, where do I pay for it?

I've looked around the site and darned if I can find any info anywhere about payment. Maybe I missed something obvious.

Of course, I left nearly all of my July $30 payment on the table when CES withdrew, maybe I ought to somehow get that credited back to me (yeah, futile I suspect).

-- rick

Edited by rconner

Oops, never mind, I found the info..."Preferences" -> "Add Fuel"

According to http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/topic/14392-important-spamcop-announcement/?view=findpost&p=90126:

Anyone who has a CESmail account at the time of shutdown on September 30 will continue to enjoy the premium access to the SpamCop reporting service indefinitely without additional or future charge.

Doesn't that mean that you should never have to "add fuel"?

Edited by Dave_L

Got a great answer from Spamcop/Richard and it only took about 8 minutes for him to respond too, which is impressive.

I had asked about my fuel getting low and had forgotten that Cesmail Accounts never had fuel anyway, the fuel we did have was given a while back to everyone as compensation for an outage

Yes, that is correct. The fuel however makes no difference with your
account as it has the cesmail flag set, so the system sees and treats it
as a premium account. You'll see no change when the fuel runs out.
Technically, your account never should have had fuel. When we had
ongoing network issues a couple of years ago we upgraded everyone's
account to a premium account or added fuel to premium accounts, as a way
of apologizing for the issues. Of course it made no difference with
cesmail users, but the way the add fuel was written didn't
differentiate account types. It just added fuel to all accounts.
Richard
Edited by Ex_Brit

Yes, that is correct. The fuel however makes no difference with your

account as it has the cesmail flag set, so the system sees and treats it

as a premium account. You'll see no change when the fuel runs out.

Ah, the old "cesmail flag" trick. :D

Thanks for posting the explanation.