Unknown action errors

Several SpamCop.net links now just result in "Unknown action":

Is this a general issue, or is it related to the recent account changes?

I'm wondering why the previous SpamCop Email subscribers are even seeing the Add Fuel item; I thought we were supposed to still have premium account access.

Same here.

There's already a couple of threads on this in the Spamcop Reporting Help forum, going back to Oct 2. See

http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/topic/14423-past-reports-tab-not-working-past-2-days/

for starters.

Doesn't seem to be getting any traction.

If you check in the last month , the spam reporting has pretty much gone to zero. So no one is reporting junk email anymore, which means the spammers have won :(

Right now, "Đ…pam Submitted" has dropped to about 30% of the immediate pre-changeover figures (which were close to historic highs), "Reports Sent" are fairly much unchanged. Reports aren't sent from spamtrap submissions. Don't know exactly how to interpret those observations (if anything the inference might be that it is spamtraps MIA, not member-reporters) but in any event over half a million reports a day - currently - does not look like a spammer win. Maybe we can pretend it does, just to lull them into a false sense of security B)

http://www.spamcop.net/spamgraph.shtml?spammonth

http://www.spamcop.net/spamgraph.shtml?spamstats

I'm not sure I trust the graphs on the "Statistics" page at SpamCop.net, given how the "1 year" option doesn't appear to cover even three months, nor does the "1 month" option you posted cover quite a month:

http://www.spamcop.net/spamgraph.shtml?spamyear

It reminds me a bit of that schizophrenic and wildly inconsistent graph that appeared embedded on the pages of the old site--which was clearly not properly connected with reality.

DT

"Monthly" would/should only cover time from the transition period David - which would include the time the new forum was running undisclosed in tandem, presumably from 1 Oct. Why there were then lost posts 1-2 October I don't know. But the stats are a different thing. Also don't know why there are yearly figures going back to Aug. As the stats page says, inter alia"This data reflects more about SpamCop's usage patterns than it does about the spam. These numbers now reflect only a small fraction of total spam being processed by SpamCop, but they are still representative of the total."

In any event, no evidence of a fundamental decline in user reports, some indication of a fair amount of continuity (admittedly all of which might be either a deliberate or a fortuitous artefact of any changes to the stats collection). But, you were the one who recently opined there were only a small number of mail customers left (I forget the number, you will recall it) - before the changes - and, logic tells me, not all all of those would have been reporters. If you were right, that would also argue against a huge reduction.

But wait--isn't the Statistics page we're talking about on SpamCop.net represent ALL reporters--not just the people with CESMail accounts? If so, then it shouldn't have been very affected by the shutdown of the mail service, other than those mail customers not easily reporting from their Held folders any longer. The Statistics page on SpamCop.net has been there for many years, so it's not a new thing.

DT

Quite so - I was talking about the stats graphs not showing a great drop in reports as had been suggested was happening in 90489[/snapback] then you said you didn't trust the graphs,so I said well there was no great loss with the dropping of reporting via SpamCop.net if your estimate of the total of those accounts was right, now you're saying those were only a drop in the bucket anyway (which is what I was saying - if your estimate of account numbers was to be trusted). So you're left not trusting the graphs and I'm left saying there's "no evidence of a fundamental decline in user reports" while graciously conceding that the graphs don't pretend to show the whole picture (and that disclaimer has been there on the stats page for years). The graphs on the old forum pages came from the same source as those on the stats page by the way - part of that 'inter-relatedness' of CES/SC.

http://web.archive.org/web/20140530073414/http://delta2.cesmail.net/graphs/spamyear.png

Aaargh, the internet archive is a little coy, URL for SC page doesn't want to go to the page - but if you go to the WayBack machine and enter http://spamcop.net/spamgraph.shtml?spamyear and browse to the snapshot on the same day, 30 May 2014, you will find charts are identical. Snapshots on the same day are fairly rare.

But that snapshot was back when the "spamyear" function was working--now it's quite broken, in that the legend only encompasses two months instead of a year. I think the graphs have always been buggy and meaninless, but now they're totally worthless.

DT

You promised me you were optimistic! Confess, you lied :D . The whole chart system has to be rebuilt because of that underestimated interdependence thing and functions and data flows needing re-establishment. That will be getting little priority - if it were otherwise you'd be "disappointed" (or fairly postal) at inappropriate prioritization while these other fairly critical matters are slowly brought right.

But I think the daily chart is probably fairly much as functional as it ever was or can be (as the basis for the rest), it just looks different. And perhaps it is compiled a little differently too and if so integration with "old system data" will be problematic. In which case it might require a dicontinuity between the systems and the monthly and annual series grown anew (worst case). The charts are about pattern. The total reports, other stats suggest, are running at around 4 million a day (will have to wait a full week under the new system to have a better idea).

And there's still no evidence of significantly declining reports (therefore of reporters).

OK, I confess--I'm typically "glass half full" except when I've been shown that something isn't worth the "benefit of the doubt." I've been burned too many times by SpamCop and CESMail issues to be optimistic, so now tend to be more skeptical, jaded, and critical, which isn't my nature.

But on the spam-reporting statistics, it's puzzling that they had to throw out the old altogether and replace it, in that most of the reporting wasn't coming from CESMail customers, but your explanation makes sense.

DT

Archived