Fixing your Windows 8 logon email address

gezgin

I've been using gezgin[at]spamcop.net as my email address since 1999 so it's worked its way into all sorts of places. One of those places is my logon address for Windows 8 systems. When I changed that address recently, one of my computers kept refusing to recognize the new one: it always tried to log on with the SpamCop address, failed, and I had to manually enter the new address and password. This weekend I had time to figure out what the problem is. There are two keys in the registry under [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]. They are cunningly (!) called "LastUsedUsername" and "DefaulUserName". (Question to Forum administrator: Why did I have to type all of that in manually? Why couldn't I paste it with control-V?) Check these two keys. If your old logon address is still there, change it to the new one. The usual warnings about Registry editing apply. I've done this and the offending machine is now automatically logging on to Windows 8 like the others.

(Note: This is a pretty "techy/geeky" subject for the Lounge perhaps but posting here ensures the widest dissemination.)

--

Bob

Being an atrocious speller I have been using ctrl-C/ctrl-V here given the current lack of a spell checker.

However, this new forum has some "helpful" features that tries to correct things that may look like link, email addresses, etc. that could have caused problems with cutting and pasting from the registry. Just guessing.

But thanks for the info. I think you are correct about the location.

,,,, [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]. They are cunningly (!) called "LastUsedUsername" and "DefaulUserName". (Question to Forum administrator: Why did I have to type all of that in manually? Why couldn't I paste it with control-V?) ...

--

Bob

Hi Bob,

I'm not the administrator but ... it's not a Forum thing - except almost any Forum might try to interpret anything in square brackets as BBCode, but not that string, I think.

Ctrl-C ... Ctrl-V work fine, as Lou has said.

You can't select the branch in the address bar of the regedit console, therefore you can't Ctrl-C copy it, You can call the File-Export dialog from regedit and the branch is then shown in a selectable-copyable window, as done now - &nbsp &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

- or you can with my (ancient) version of regedit. Entries such as

&nbsp &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp PowerdownAfterShutdown

can be selected in the console but not copied (it's a regedit thing) - can only be Ctrl-C copied in Edit mode dialog (as now done), not direct from the regedit console. If you can't do that with Windows 8 it is simply because MS has reduced permitted user actions in regedit. But you should still be able to copy and paste all those items from the export .reg file (-right click and choose edit to open the file). You DID create a .reg file? If you can't work from the file either then MS really does subscribe to the hypothesis of diminishing population IQ. :lol:

Just testing the bracketted expression from my .reg file -

&nbsp &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]

No, not BBCode interpreted

&nbsp &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp [/HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]

(Would have thrown an interpreter error if it had been, I think).

Archived