yahoo header problem

Johnr

Hi all,

I have been receiving spam which when I report it I get errors saying no return address etc . It started last week and I am not sure if its a yahoo problem or the spammers getting clever and changing tactics.one full header is shown below. Can anyone put some light onto this ?

Thanks

John

Just this morning, I successfully reported a spam someone sent to my Yahoo account, so it can be done. However, my setup isn't exactly typical:

1. Fetchmail downloads my Yahoo mail to my Linux server using POP
  2. I log into SquirrelMail, which accesses the mail (on my system not Yahoo) via IMAP
  3. For any spam (usually just one), I forward as attachment to my SpamCop submit address

I would assume you can do the above with any decent POP client. The reason for all the above is I was already receiving mail on my server (middle step), so when it became difficult to report from Yahoo's system, simply fetching it into a system I'm already using and then forwarding it to my submit addressed seemed easiest.

Another option:

In one of the other threads, it was mentioned that Yahoo can be accessed using IMAP. I've set up an IMAP client, but have yet to receive any new spam, so I haven't actually tried reporting mail retrieved this way yet. I'll be really surprised if it doesn't work though.

Just this morning, I successfully reported a spam someone sent to my Yahoo account, so it can be done. However, my setup isn't exactly typical:

1. Fetchmail downloads my Yahoo mail to my Linux server using POP
  2. I log into SquirrelMail, which accesses the mail (on my system not Yahoo) via IMAP
  3. For any spam (usually just one), I forward as attachment to my SpamCop submit address

I would assume you can do the above with any decent POP client. The reason for all the above is I was already receiving mail on my server (middle step), so when it became difficult to report from Yahoo's system, simply fetching it into a system I'm already using and then forwarding it to my submit addressed seemed easiest.

Another option:

In one of the other threads, it was mentioned that Yahoo can be accessed using IMAP. I've set up an IMAP client, but have yet to receive any new spam, so I haven't actually tried reporting mail retrieved this way yet. I'll be really surprised if it doesn't work though.

Speaking of Squirrelmail, when I was running my own server a few years ago, I happened on a plugin which was configurable to be able to report spam with a single click. It has been a couple of years since I've used it, so I can't remember the name (my server box died and I haven't got round to replacing it yet.)

Speaking of Squirrelmail, when I was running my own server a few years ago, I happened on a plugin which was configurable to be able to report spam with a single click. It has been a couple of years since I've used it, so I can't remember the name (my server box died and I haven't got round to replacing it yet.)

Yes, Squirrelmail has a plugin called spamcop. I had never taken the time to check whether it was for filtering spam or reporting it. It's for reporting, so it's probably the plugin you were thinking of.

That's too bad your server died. Mine is an Amazon EC2, so it better not die. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Another option:

I can confirm that this works. I set up an IMAP account for my yahoo mail within thunderbird (very easy, and configuration is automatic). Oddly, the Yahoo "spam" folder is called "Bulk Mail" within TB. I use the "Forward as attachment" function to send the spam to the SC reporting address that I set up for yahoo mail. To report, you can either click on the link in the E-mail that will soon arrive from SC, or simply log into the appropriate SC account, and there will eventually be a link for "unreported spam".

Archived