Keep getting hacked please read

Tugg

I have 4 different email accounts and for the past year everyone of them has been hacked into. Someone hacked into a hotmail account that I had but hadn't used in years and actually sent me and 4 other people an email and he was still using my real name. After going round and round with Microsoft I finally provided them with the correct information to prove that particular email account belonged to me. When I log into the hotmail account and check the recent log in activity theres like 5 different people from South America trying to get into that hotmail account

On September 20 I woke up and as usual grabbed a cup of coffee and logged into my AOL account. I've had that account for 10 years and have never had a problem with it but on that particular day someone hacked their way inside my account and deleted EVERYTHING. They completely cleaned out 10 years of email. Back in April someone hacked into my Yahoo account and deleted 8 months worth of email. I have seen email being sent from me to me but I never sent it. These SOBS are even sending email from me to me but their sending it as a BCC. What sense does that make? AOL has an instant messaging program called AIM, someone was actually using my AOL account to connect to my Yahoo account.

I have replaced my pc with an iMac, replaced my iPhone, formatted the hard drive on the newly purchased iMac and formatted the iPhone several times but nothing stops them. I've gone to the police and they said they'd look into it but that was 6 months ago. Does anyone have any suggestions how I can put a stop to this? Im pretty good when it comes to working on computers but this has got me stumped. Any advice would greatly be appreciated. Thanks, Tugg

Hi, Tugg,

&nbsp &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Sorry to hear of your problem! I wish I had some words of comfort or advice for you other than to just create an entirely new Yahoo account (and as many other accounts as you can, such as OS account on each of your devices, and deactivate the old one) and use a strong password (long, unguessable and with both upper and lower case alpha characters, digits and, if your e-mail provider allows it, punctuation characters) on it. Hopefully, some kind and knowledgeable soul here will drop by with more helpful advice in due course.

&nbsp &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Since your question seems to have nothing to do with SpamCop Reporting (or anything to do with SpamCop at all, for that matter), I have taken the liberty of moving it from the "SpamCop Reporting Help" forum where you posted it to this, more appropriate, venue.

Thank you turetzsr, right after I clicked on the "post" link it dawned on me I may have posted in the wrong forum. I was just looking at my recent log in activity on my hotmail account and in 2 days 5 different people have tried to gain access to that account. 4 from South America and one from Viet Nam. Ive had my AOL account for so long its part of me and I've been having a hard time closing that account but they don't post your recent log in activity so either I just stop using it for awhile till whoever gets tired of trying to get into my email or I just delete the account and be done with it.

I contacted my ISP and they were extremely helpful, they gave me all the ip addresses I used for the last 3 months of 2013. I have been so through that the email that was saved on my computer Im cross referencing the email with the ip address to see which emails I actually sent. AOL gave me an ip address back in May of 2014 with the suffix ending in myvzw.com which is a Verizon account it couldn't have been me because I had T-Mobile up until just recently. I sent the ip addresses on the day the person was accessing my email account with their verizon cell phone to my attorney she's going to get a subpoena because we know its someone local hopefully they'll get arrested for identity theft and whatever other laws they broke. If they can be criminally prosecuted Im going to look into going after them with a civil suit. I just want this to stop but I don't know how to make it without creating more and more email addresses.

&nbsp &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp It sounds as if you're more sophisticated than the average web/ e-mail user in assembling a good bit of relevant information. My sense, though, is that unless you have very deep pockets you are unlikely to be able to do any serious damage to the culprits or get them to stop because it's too easy for them to spoof addresses and therefore hide but it's clear that you understand that it's probably just your turn for them to annoy for a while and they'll eventually tire of that and move on to some other poor victim.

&nbsp &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp For what it's worth, I refer you to the Forum "sig" of member "petzl" for some handy pointers to possibly helpful tools.

I'll 2nd what Steve said earlier about a strong password. However, even with an 8-character randomly generated password, someone almost got into one of my email accounts a few months ago. The only thing that stopped them was the provider's server didn't think it was me based on the IP address the connection came from. Perhaps either more than 8 characters are needed (to make the password harder to guess) or someone got it some other way.

The provider used https and I never wrote my password down, so I'm not sure how it got out. It happened close to the time I started using an android app called K-9 mail to check my email, so I don't use that app any more. The timing might have been a coincidence, but it was easier for me to stop using the program than to figure out how my password got out.

Needless to say, I changed my password since it had got out somehow. As far as I can tell, it hasn't happened again.

Another thought I had was if someone put a keylogger on your system or if there was some virus/malware on your system, but if you've replaced both your computer and your phone, that would seem unlikely. I'm no security expert. There are no doubt other possibilities as well.

I'm kind of curious to find out how it works out trying to track these guys down through the legal system, if you happen to be inclined to share any updates with us. :)

I'm kind of curious to find out how it works out trying to track these guys down through the legal system, if you happen to be inclined to share any updates with us. :)

As long as your computer is clear of Malware and you use a Alphanumeric/uppercase/lowercase password (8 characters or better) and no "friend" who knows it or access to your computer you should be secure.against "brute force "password "guess" which use go through dictionary/common names program. Not a good idea to use SAME password either as if you are logging on to doubtful sites they can collect passwords

A further add on to a secure password is to before password put a capital of your FIRST name, followed by street number then a = key

as example Petzl at 666 Road gives

P666=SuperSecretPassword44

some passwords are limited by number. SpamCop has (or had) a limit of 30 characters

Your next problem is those you send emails to not having secured their computer and that gives hacker your email address which is your log-on (as well as credit card numbers even tells hacker when home is empty, etc)

Ones email address is usually one's log-on

Good idea is to use USB run password log-on software.

Do not keep passwords on a computer (my software Password Depot is very secure on ANY computer)

A good email provider should not allow brute force attacks and limit "tries" to 3 attempts then SMS or email to emergency address you a clear code

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I think I have problem under control. I've set up every email account to text me if anyone tries to get or change my password. I monitor my recent log in activity and beings I recieve email on my cell phone it monitors and records the activity that goes on in my email accounts. Theres software thats buried in your cell phone that records just about everything and if you know how to access it, it can give you the information your looking for. Im not talking about jail breaking or getting on someone elses cell phone and gettting their data I only monitor my accounts. Someone was actually on my gmail account using goggle maps to find resturants in a part of town I never go to, had I not known where to find that information on my cell phone I would have never known. The one thing I coudnt get is the date they were on my account. I went to my gmail account and looked in the history and there were the links they used with the dates. I hovered my cursur over the link and a yellow box popped up and within that box were the longitudes and latitudes of where they were at, at that specific date and time. Im not done with these hackers yet, I'll find out who they are and when I do they'll have to answer to the police. Thanks again

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I think I have problem under control. I've set up every email account to text me if anyone tries to get or change my password. I monitor my recent log in activity and beings I recieve email on my cell phone it monitors and records the activity that goes on in my email accounts. Theres software thats buried in your cell phone that records just about everything and if you know how to access it, it can give you the information your looking for. Im not talking about jail breaking or getting on someone elses cell phone and gettting their data I only monitor my accounts. Someone was actually on my gmail account using goggle maps to find resturants in a part of town I never go to, had I not known where to find that information on my cell phone I would have never known. The one thing I coudnt get is the date they were on my account. I went to my gmail account and looked in the history and there were the links they used with the dates. I hovered my cursur over the link and a yellow box popped up and within that box were the longitudes and latitudes of where they were at, at that specific date and time. Im not done with these hackers yet, I'll find out who they are and when I do they'll have to answer to the police. Thanks again

Did not see you were referring to a mobile/tablet

NEVER consider them secure I use a Android "phablet", while handy and fun would never link to anything that I did not want compromised

Weaknesses are preloaded spyware, WiFi public connects. Plus "normal" Internet browsing. Completely not secure IMO

Also Google and Facebook without asking reset your security to the worst of ones interest

My Samsung Note phablet when I first got it, took a photo in local mall, Google/Gmail address uploaded these photos put a red square around every face giving everyone who looks name address a map of where they live!

I find this creepy but feel free to try it out.

http://www.google.com.au/insidesearch/features/images/searchbyimage.html

seems "detuned" a bit but was really scary two years ago!

As long as your computer is clear of Malware and you use a Alphanumeric/uppercase/lowercase password (8 characters or better) and no "friend" who knows it or access to your computer you should be secure.against "brute force "password "guess" which use go through dictionary/common names program. Not a good idea to use SAME password either as if you are logging on to doubtful sites they can collect passwords

[snip]

Your next problem is those you send emails to not having secured their computer and that gives hacker your email address which is your log-on (as well as credit card numbers even tells hacker when home is empty, etc)

Ones email address is usually one's log-on

Good idea is to use USB run password log-on software.

Do not keep passwords on a computer (my software Password Depot is very secure on ANY computer)

A good email provider should not allow brute force attacks and limit "tries" to 3 attempts then SMS or email to emergency address you a clear code

The password was 8 characters, randomly generated, not used anywhere else or shared with anyone. If not brute force, my other guesses would be either the email app on my Android didn't use a secure connection or maybe the phone had malware. I was using an app called K-9 mail (or something like that) because the gmail app kept making the "new mail" sound for mail I'd already read. Anyway, it's all history now.

I don't really count on my login being secret since it's my email address. Even where I'm at now, all they have to do is remove the part after the [at] sign. I better hope my new password is good.

I quit using USB drives after losing the data when one randomly became blank, but I do use a a password manager called KeePass2 now. It stores them encrypted as far as I know. I have to enter a password when I open the program, so it better not be storing them plain text, or that's all pretty pointless. :)

Regarding blocking brute-force attacks, that's one disadvantage of my current email setup: I'm the sys admin and I'm not aware of any way my server would tell me if someone tried to log in repeatedly. I was using gmail back when someone almost got into my account. I would imagine they would block brute force password guessing. Fortunately, they blocked the login based on what the IP was, as that's when I got a message from them and changed my password.

The password was 8 characters, randomly generated, not used anywhere else or shared with anyone. If not brute force, my other guesses would be either the email app on my Android didn't use a secure connection or maybe the phone had malware. I was using an app called K-9 mail (or something like that) because the gmail app kept making the "new mail" sound for mail I'd already read. Anyway, it's all history now.

I don't really count on my login being secret since it's my email address. Even where I'm at now, all they have to do is remove the part after the [at] sign. I better hope my new password is good.

I quit using USB drives after losing the data when one randomly became blank, but I do use a a password manager called KeePass2 now. It stores them encrypted as far as I know. I have to enter a password when I open the program, so it better not be storing them plain text, or that's all pretty pointless. :)

Regarding blocking brute-force attacks, that's one disadvantage of my current email setup: I'm the sys admin and I'm not aware of any way my server would tell me if someone tried to log in repeatedly. I was using gmail back when someone almost got into my account. I would imagine they would block brute force password guessing. Fortunately, they blocked the login based on what the IP was, as that's when I got a message from them and changed my password.

As you are using a mobile to connect to Internet it's a good bet thats where hackers are getting your passwords from!

Good account of Mobile security is here

http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/reviews/ST/how-to-secure-your-androids-wi-fi.html

As you are using a mobile to connect to Internet it's a good bet thats where hackers are getting your passwords from!

Good account of Mobile security is here

http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/reviews/ST/how-to-secure-your-androids-wi-fi.html

It's a good possibility. I probably assumed the email client I was using on that phone would use SSL or whatever to make a secure connection. Rather than going to the trouble of setting up a VPN or SSH tunnel as the article suggested, I'd be more likely to simply switch off wi-fi when I leave the house. I just hope the cellular network is secure.

Not certain it's analogous or as secure but I use MAC address filtering on my home network.

As long as a home WiFi is secure (WEP2) it's not a problem.

MAC Filtering has been hacked/spoofed

The problems come about using free WiFi in coffee shops/burger chains etc.

It's your mobile device that needs to be made secure,

Other issues like cloning mobile SIM cards, maleware pre-installed,

it get's in the too hard basket for me.

For email on Mobile I use gmail which requires SSL to POP/SMPT.

That said digital mobile is not secure,

A property next to me was bought from $2.4million embezzled from Fire Brigade, a law enforcement agency ICAC investigated, in hearing

(they KNOW all the answers to questions they ask)

Asked this guy a question to which he denied, the prosecutor immediately played back his mobile phone they recorded to him,

asking "this is not you!"

Stories come out all the time

celebrities having "selfies" stolen, Murdoch media was found listening in on Mobiles of high profile people?

As long as a home WiFi is secure (WEP2) it's not a problem.

&nbsp &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp WPA2, correct, petzl? :) <g> My guess is that it's only a matter of time before WPA2 gets broken, too. :( <frown>

...Oh, I meant to post a reference to an article like that in my post -- thanks! But the content of the article in the link doesn't seem to match the text you used -- do you have a reference to MAC filtering having been spoofed (and, preferably, any steps that can be taken to mitigate in addition to using WPA2)?

The problems come about using free WiFi in coffee shops/burger chains etc.

&nbsp &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Very true (and, again, something I meant to, but forgot to, mention in my post). Don't forget motels' wi-fi possibly being less secure unless they use WPA2, everyone!

<snip>

Murdoch media was found listening in on Mobiles of high profile people?

&nbsp &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp That would be (hopefully :) <g>) rogue associates of NewsCorp. Do you know of any cases other than the one in the UK or does it seem to have been limited to that subsidiary?

tab]WPA2, correct, petzl? :) <g> My guess is that it's only a matter of time before WPA2 gets broken, too. :( <frown>[/tab]

Not known to be able to break WPA2 yet?

...Oh, I meant to post a reference to an article like that in my post -- thanks! But the content of the article in the link doesn't seem to match the text you used -- do you have a reference to MAC filtering having been spoofed (and, preferably, any steps that can be taken to mitigate in addition to using WPA2)?

Every security "add-on" helps. but MAC filtering on open/free WiFi can be spoofed and it says so in link provided

Very true (and, again, something I meant to, but forgot to, mention in my post). Don't forget motels' wi-fi possibly being less secure unless they use WPA2, everyone!

That would be (hopefully :) <g>) rogue associates of NewsCorp. Do you know of any cases other than the one in the UK or does it seem to have been limited to that subsidiary?

Murdoch Media was reported recording New York 9/11 victims mobiles.

In Australia "our" media seems to concentrate more on Europe than USA.

A former Prime Minister describes Murdoch as a "big bad bastard"

while UK law makers ruled Rupert Murdoch "is not fit to run a major international company"

From Australia I have to agree and block his content and do not buy products advertised on his monopoly media interests I can't block

Not known to be able to break WPA2 yet?

&nbsp &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Not yet. But is't only a matter of time, I expect.

<snip>

WiFi can be spoofed and it says so in link provided

&nbsp &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Ah, sorry, yes, I see that, now that I read that paragraph more carefully!

A former Prime Minister describes Murdoch as a "big bad bastard" [/url]

&nbsp &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp If you read that remark in full context, you will see that former PM Blair was not using the epithet to describe Murdoch's morals but, rather, his negotiating behavior. It's also a quote of a quote, so it's hard to know whether that's really what Blair actually said, although I have no reason to doubt it.

while UK law makers ruled Rupert Murdoch "is not fit to run a major international company"[/url]

<snip>

&nbsp &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp By UK lawmakers who disagree with Murdoch's well-known political views: "But it split along party lines, with members from Prime Minister David Cameron's Conservative Party voting against the report, saying they did not agree with its view that the Australian-born Murdoch was not fit to run a major company." Since those that voted against the report have many views in common with Murdoch's, their dissent can not be taken as authoritative (although I personally tend to agree with it and, besides, I think that in a world of televised media dominated principally by those of the opposite political views but who less often make that clear than do Murdoch's employees, I think he provides a very useful service and I am therefore a loyal consumer :) <g>).

UK lawmakers who disagree with Murdoch's well-known political views: "But it split along party lines, with members from Prime Minister David Cameron's Conservative Party voting against the report, saying they did not agree with its view that the Australian-born Murdoch was not fit to run a major company." Since those that voted against the report have many views in common with Murdoch's, their dissent can not be taken as authoritative (although I personally tend to agree with it and, besides, I think that in a world of televised media dominated principally by those of the opposite political views but who less often make that clear than do Murdoch's employees, I think he provides a very useful service and I am therefore a loyal consumer :) <g>).[/tab]

Murdoch does not have ANY political views, not seen him show loyalty to anyone, but demands it himself.

Murdoch just does "deals". He does use his media to influence voters for one political view or the other depending on the deal he's made!

In Australia he's used his media to kick PM McMahon (BLUE) out, puting, PM Whitlam (RED) in, Kicking Whitlam out, Puting Fraser (BLUE) in. kicking Fraser out, Puting Hawke in (RED) and so on, right up till today Putting Abbott 9BLUE) in.

Political parties are scared of him even in USA and UK. Now social media and Internet is growing the Media is becoming less important in influencing voters even consumers opinion,.

Going to see him at the Royal shortly

&nbsp &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp As to what happens in Australia, you would know far better than I but I can tell you that there are no US politicians of whom I am aware who are "afraid" of Murdoch nor over whom Murdoch holds much influence, other than the degree to which his media outlets, a tiny few relative to the huge number with whom his compete, can affect politicians' constituents or the "special interests" who they allow to affect their behavior. And he certainly determines the outcome of absolutely no decision as to who will hold what US political office. And his influence on voters is almost always right-of-center on every issue (one of the few exceptions being his views on immigration and even that would be considered left-of-center only because the US right tends to prefer more restrictive immigration policies and enforcement of our laws which [iMHO] are silly and overly restrictive).

As to what happens in Australia, you would know far better than I but I can tell you that there are no US politicians of whom I am aware who are "afraid" of Murdoch nor over whom Murdoch holds much influence, other than the degree to which his media outlets, a tiny few relative to the huge number with whom his compete, can affect politicians' constituents or the "special interests" who they allow to affect their behavior. And he certainly determines the outcome of absolutely no decision as to who will hold what US political office. And his influence on voters is almost always right-of-center on every issue (one of the few exceptions being his views on immigration and even that would be considered left-of-center only because the US right tends to prefer more restrictive immigration policies and enforcement of our laws which [iMHO] are silly and overly restrictive).

I think you are naive if you believe Murdoch s media only limit attacks the UK and Australian political scene?

http://www.freepress.net/rupert-murdoch-scandal

I think you are naive if you believe Murdoch s media only limit attacks the UK and Australian political scene?

&nbsp &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp That isn't what I said -- I said that I just don't believe that his power in the US is as great as you portray it to be in Australia. His employees certainly have attacked (and still attack) Obama; that hasn't prevented the US President from having won both Presidential elections he has run.

That isn't what I said -- I said that I just don't believe that his power in the US is as great as you portray it to be in Australia. His employees certainly have attacked (and still attack) Obama; that hasn't prevented the US President from having won both Presidential elections he has run.

Well I use FireFox (main browser) and block his media from it (Internet Explorer can override it) alerts one to his media and one generally can be warned of "story bias"

Pretty sure you would be surprised.

Get FireFox addon here Easily removed)

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/blocksite/?src=userprofile

Restart FireFox

Down-load as text file

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/50667687/1murdoch%20block.txt

In BLOCK SITE options select

import button

select the text file

1murdoch block.txt

select "open" follow prompts (if any)

A murrain on the herds of all media moguls (at least in the UK and much of the Commonwealth we have our taxpayer-funded Broadcasting Commissions/Corporations, famous for their impartiality) ... meantime the bemused Tugg (remember him? the O/P) struggles with the lesser fleas. Grrr.

A murrain on the herds of all media moguls (at least in the UK and much of the Commonwealth we have our taxpayer-funded Broadcasting Commissions/Corporations, famous for their impartiality) ... meantime the bemused Tugg (remember him? the O/P) struggles with the lesser fleas. Grrr.

The Murdoch owned Abbott party has put in government funded Murdoch management Australian Broadcasting Corp (ABC) to ensure Australians are treated like Mushrooms

Looks like blocking Murdoch and not buying anything advertised by Murdoch media is working :>

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-08-21/news-corp-fury-over-leaks/5688232

Archived