Keep getting hacked please read

Tugg

Not certain it's analogous or as secure but I use MAC address filtering on my home network.

I view Mac address filtering as analogous to locking your door. It's not going to stop a determined thief, but it makes it a little harder for him; he may leave you alone and choose an easier victim. It definitely shouldn't be your only layer of protection.

I view Mac address filtering as analogous to locking your door. It's not going to stop a determined thief, but it makes it a little harder for him; he may leave you alone and choose an easier victim. It definitely shouldn't be your only layer of protection.

It's not normally a home run "wep2" WiFi that's a problem, adding MAC address filtering just strengthens it's security more.

MAC address filtering on it's own can be spoofed but is something.

The problem is Free WiFi hotspots that make it easy to scrape passwords and log-ons

If you are asked for a password on a WiFi hotspot turn WiFi off and use your mobile network

Wonder if they can make an APP for this to make it Automatic?

I'm seeing over 60% (I guess) of my spam reports coming from compromised accounts in turn fed by a Botnet attack host

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z5994546145zc34986d57d6e1ee60e67d0fa5bed656ez

Compromised account sent through IP 62.121.21.135 United Kingdom

sent from Botnet IP 41.71.217.76 Nigeria

• 3 months later...

This thread reflects a typical complaint we've seen hundreds of times over the past ten years or so.

We should all remember one of the original cardinal rules of the online world :

FREE anything gives you what you pay for.

Anyone who uses free email providers like Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo, and so forth should expect what ever trouble is dished out. Those services are provided free for a purpose: to gather meta data to sell to advertisers and spammers. We've now even discovered Amazon involved in complicity with cybercrime.

Those services are intensely interested in your every move, post, comment, email, and website visit -- as well as those of everyone with whom you communicate.

In 1988 we warned all new subscribers to our Compuserve and GEnie forums, and continued to provide the same warnings in the UG neighborhood at the launch of AOL :

>> Don't put anything online you don't want published.

>> There is, and never will be any security.

Wonder why people didn't learn that lesson.

Archived