No reporting addresses found for 210.230.224.154

It looks like a topic is started for each IP address. If not, please let me know.

I know some folks like to see the tracking URLs, so here's that: http://mailsc.spamcop.net/sc?id=z5994241831zd90dd68b1ffe9f395f85090604eed6ecz

And the error:

Tracking message source: 210.230.224.154:

"whois 210.230.224.154[at]whois.apnic.net" (Getting contact from whois.apnic.net mirror)
Display data:
Redirect to nic.ad.jp:
Display data:
"whois 210.230.224.154/e[at]whois.nic.ad.jp" (Getting contact from jpnic)
Display data:
"whois JP00000181/e[at]whois.nic.ad.jp" (Getting contact from jpnic)
nothing found
nothing found

No reporting addresses found for 210.230.224.154, using devnull for tracking.

Message is 19 hours old
210.230.224.154 listed in cbl.abuseat.org ( 1 )
210.230.224.154 is an open proxy
210.230.224.154 not listed in accredit.habeas.com
210.230.224.154 not listed in plus.bondedsender.org
210.230.224.154 not listed in iadb.isipp.com

A whois on this IP doesn't turn up anything (assuming my Linux box is setup correctly), so is there even any way to report them? Thanks in advance!

&nbsp &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Using the SpamCop IP address lookup form (found at SpamCop FAQ article "http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/topic/2238-original-spamcop-faq-added-forum-items/"), I find the SenderBase Lookup for this IP address that indicates that the domain is dion.ne.jp (note the BlackList list! :) <g>). Looking up that domain in Abuse.Net shows that the abuse address is "abuse[at]dion.ne.jp (for dion.ne.jp)."

&nbsp &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp jpnic whois gateway shows:

[Administrative Contact] JP00000127

and navigating to that link (and adding the "/e" switch for English) shows:

Group Contact Information:
[Group Handle]                  JP00000127
[Group Name]                    KDDI NOC
[E-Mail]                        kddi-noc[at]ip.kddi.com
[Organization]                  KDDI Corporation
[Division]                      Network Operation Center
[TEL]                           
[FAX]                           
[Last Update]                   2005/03/22 14:59:07(JST)
                                jpnic_ap[at]dion.ne.jp

Thanks! I had assumed typing whois [ip address] at the command prompt would give the basic info (such as contact email) if it was available. It only dawned on me right as I was finishing up that post that I don't even know if there is anything I should have configured on my Linux box.

Although it looks like using senderbase to get the domain and then abuse.net to get the address is better since it gives an abuse address instead of the NOC or NIC addresses.

Embarrassingly, this is probably stuff I should have known since I've been using SpamCop reporting for about 15 years.

Is this something SpamCop usually updates so that the reports won't go to devnull.spamcop.net? I know Don has made adjustments for some things that go on with finding the reporting address for an IP, but I'm not sure if that fits in this category.

&nbsp &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp You're most welcome!

&nbsp &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Sometimes the NICs (ARNic, JPNic, etc) have more reliable information than abuse.net; in this case, abuse.net looked like its abuse address might be better because it's more "standard." To find the right NIC (and most of the useful information, to boot), I use a web site called G E E K T O O L S.

<snip>

Is this something SpamCop usually updates so that the reports won't go to devnull.spamcop.net?

<snip>

&nbsp &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Mostly, it seems so. Often the devnull action is by SpamCop staff choice, such as when they have reason to believe that the abuse address is controlled by spammers or is spammer friendly or when e-mails sent by SpamCop to that address bounce or when the abuse admin asks SpamCop to not send e-mails.

SC flushes cached entries on a regular basis and members can also refresh the cached entries during any review the might conduct of the submissions they make before or after release BUT there are manual over-rides in cases where reports have been regularly bounced or it is otherwise undesirable to send reports (specific reasons not usually given) - and SC automated processes may anyway fail to find reporting addresses for various reasons - all of which is why Don was (and presumably still is) encouraging any discoveries to be added to this Routing / Report Address Issues topic.

The Tracking URL preferred by the way is the publicly accessible one - see http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/topic/4473-spamcop-glossary/#TURL - but if you use the one with 'members' in place of 'www' (or just the Report ID link) then Don at least can follow those if there is a particular need to keep it out of the public eye.

Think I got that all about right ... oh, and I see Steven has responded too.

You're most welcome!

Sometimes the NICs (ARNic, JPNic, etc) have more reliable information than abuse.net; in this case, abuse.net looked like its abuse address might be better because it's more "standard." To find the right NIC (and most of the useful information, to boot), I use a web site called G E E K T O O L S.

Mostly, it seems so. Often the devnull action is by SpamCop staff choice, such as when they have reason to believe that the abuse address is controlled by spammers or is spammer friendly or when e-mails sent by SpamCop to that address bounce or when the abuse admin asks SpamCop to not send e-mails.

I had written a reply for this, but the forum apparently decided it was a good time to forget I was logged in :(

Sorry, you don't have permission for that!
[#20310]

Your secure key, used to verify you are posting the topic, did not match the one submitted. Please go back, reload the form, and try again.

Archived