Poping Mail from AOL

I set up spamcop email to pop the mail from my aol account but it won't pop it. When I go back into the setups, it has an error that it's the wrong password...but it's not. It is the correct password. I've tried leave on server, use ssl and nothing seems to be working. I'm getting really frustrated again with aol and want to do something drastic to cut down the spam other than jhd but reporting by copy and paste into the web page is getting to be very cumbersome. Please help. Thanks Barb :blink:

What have you got for the server entry? I know that you need to enter popgate.cesmail.net for yahoo pop. I think you need the same for AOL.

What are you using for username? Yahoo needs username<at>yahoo.com.

If you don't have the right server or username, the password would be wrong and the error message may simply be not thouroug enough.

Sorry I can't be much more help as I don't use AOL, but no body else has replied yet.

Hi:

Thanks for replying. Yes, I have checked and double checked and triple checked the server name...I'm using the popgate.cesmail.net or what ever it says in the FAQ to use. I'm trying my hotmail account now to see if I have the same problem with it.

Barb <_<

Ok, I've tried my hotmail account and I'm getting the same results. I checked the ssl box on both and now I am getting "Cannot contact server" error. When I have the ssl box unchecked, I get "incorrect password" but I have typed in the correct password for both. I think I am going to contact a deputy as I am not getting much help here or in the newsgroup.

Barb

:blink:

Clicking on things to try them might work sometimes, but SSL for HotMail I know is a lost cause. Your previous response of "or whatever it says" doesn't have a good ring to it. At any rate, I've kicked a note to JT to see if he can take a look at your account to see if it's something obvious to him.

Hi Wazoo:

Thanks for the reply. No, I'm sorry, didn't mean to be vague. I am using popgate.cesmail.net. I have also tried the old setting pop.spamcop.net but I am still getting the same error "Invalid password" and I know it's not invalid because I use both of these passwords fine to log into web mail on both aol and hotmail but I get the same error for both. Will JT write me back directly do you think?

Thanks

Barb :unsure:

Will JT write me back directly do you think

I can't say .. it's a bit unusual for him to be out of touch for so long .. I noted in my note to him that I wasn't sure of your user account, figuring he'd hit you with that request when he checked this Topic out ... If he hits here first, is bbuckley the account name or should I ask you to identify your actual SpamCop e-mail address so as to allow him to jump directly there?

Hi:

My user account name is bbuckley at spamcop. Thanks for all your help. I hope he contacts me soon, the spammers are frustrating the $%^#[at] out of me! :-)

Barb :blink:

Wazoo edited Barb's address to lessen the chance of gathering more spam.

Hi:

My user account name is bbuckley <atsign> spamcop.net. Thanks for all your help. I hope he contacts me soon, the spammers are frustrating the $%^#[at] out of me! :-)

Barb :blink:

Hi, Barb,

...You may want to edit your post just above to disguise your e-mail address. Otherwise, you might find that some computer worm has harvested that address to be sold to spammers! See what I did to the quote I did of your message for an example.

Just for closure, BBuckley states in another Topic .....

So, I then set the new hotmail account up to pop into spamcop, reset user name and password for both the old hotmail and aol and now, VIOLA, it works! I don't know what happened. but it seems to be ok...for now.

Archived