MASSIVE LAWSUIT AGAINST SCOTT RICHTER...

HillsCap

Richter has moved ISPs - Optigate dropped him. He's still using his 69.6 addresses (Wholesalebandwidth.net) and moosq.com and ss01.net (that's s s zero one), but the upstream bandwidth now comes from WVFIBER.COM aka IBIS7.NET, and their phone number is 1-877.983.4237 if you notice any spam from moosq.com / Optigate.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, it's CAIS Internet... I think that if they get enough emails and phone calls complaining to them about their incredibly stupid decision to host one of the world's most prolific spammers, they'll drop him like Optigate did.

Canonical name: www.wvfiber.com

Addresses:

Canonical name: www.ibis7.net

Addresses:

whois -h whois.arin.net 63.223.7.82 ...

OrgName: CAIS Internet

OrgID: CAIS

Address: 6861 Elm Street, Third Floor

City: McLean

StateProv: VA

PostalCode: 22101

ReferralServer: rwhois://rwhois.cais.net:4321/

NetRange: 63.216.0.0 - 63.223.255.255

CIDR: 63.216.0.0/13

NetName: CAIS-CIDR7

NetHandle: NET-63-216-0-0-1

Parent: NET-63-0-0-0-0

NetType: Direct Allocation

NameServer: NS.CAIS.COM

NameServer: NS2.CAIS.COM

Comment: ADDRESSES WITHIN THIS BLOCK ARE NON-PORTABLE

RegDate: 1999-12-09

Updated: 2001-05-21

TechHandle: CAIS-NOC-ARIN

TechName: Network Operations Center

TechPhone: +1-703-448-4470

TechEmail: domreg[at]cais.net

Well, I tried sending an email to CAIS Internet, urging them to drop Richter before he rapes their resources and leaves them high-and-dry with a bad reputation as a spammer friendly ISP, but the email bounced... their mail box is full.

So, either a lot of other people are sending similar messages, or Richter has already started spamming, and they're getting complaints about that.

Why do some ISPs have to learn the hard way?

How many replies to this forum state:

"I don't know if I'm receiving spam from optin or Scott Richter..."

So, you're going to hop on the Anti spam Bandwagon without proof that you have a legitimate reason to be on board?

Email is like television...yeah, I don't want to see all the advertisements, yet they run them anyway...I have a choice...I can turn off the TV, leave the room, whatever...I don't sue the station, I don't file complaints about the commercials I don't like or didn't want to see...I just deal with it.

Doesn't this country have more important things to worry about than having to hit the delete button a few extra times? People overseas are being be-headed with dull knives, the presidential election is coming up, unemployment is soaring...

I bought a spam filter and started focusing my energy on subjects with more merit than a few unwanted emails.

Email is like television...yeah, I don't want to see all the advertisements, yet they run them anyway...I have a choice...I can turn off the TV, leave the room, whatever...I don't sue the station, I don't file complaints about the commercials I don't like or didn't want to see...I just deal with it. 

spam is not like TV. The advertiser is paying for the service to make the advertising and that money is providing the TV you watch. Spammers cause a direct cost to anyone that receives the spam and that is theft of services. Most of us do not like to have anything stolen from us.

Doesn't this country have more important things to worry about than having to hit the delete button a few extra times? People overseas are being be-headed with dull knives, the presidential election is coming up, unemployment is soaring...

"For the want of a nail, a horse was lost..." of "if there is peace in your soul, there is peace in the house, if there is peace in your house, there is peace in the neighborhood...."

Most of the 'important' things you have listed are complex problems whose roots lie in the basic character of how people approach problems. The Internet is fascinating because brute force doesn't work very well nor do laws. It is basically how people treat each other and how they solve problems. You can barricade yourself behind a spam filter and do nothing to prevent spam. Others prefer to use basic netiquette to deal with spam (politely informing someone that they are transgressing on your privacy and then ignoring them if they continue). It is a much more dignified way and keeps those who practice it mentally healthy. They are not resentful (for long - most rants end with humor) that they have paid for a product that is continually attacked by spammers and has to be upgraded. They are protected much better by a blocklist than a filter while politely informing *senders* if they are contributing to the spam problem. They are dealing with a problem without compromising their standards of correct behavior.

The 'controllers' of the world are the ones who cause the problems, not those who simply refuse to be 'controlled.' Perhaps the offline world will benefit from the anti-spam attitude of those who believe that blocklists are the answer to spam and then we won't have to worry about more 'important' problems.

Miss Betsy

For spam that you've received in the past, you can parse through the (rather lengthy) list of IP addresses and domain names Richter has used:

http://www.hillscapital.com/richter.txt

Of course, with him moving to CAIS, we'll have to redo the list soon.

Should not be to hard to setup a scri_pt to parse the spam and compare the IPs from that file.

I will work on that later tonight

So, you're going to hop on the Anti spam Bandwagon without proof that you have a legitimate reason to be on board?

Doesn't this country have more important things to worry about than having to hit the delete button a few extra times?  People overseas are being be-headed with dull knives, the presidential election is coming up, unemployment is soaring...

I bought a spam filter and started focusing my energy on subjects with more merit than a few unwanted emails.

Another spanked spammer speaks more nonsense.

They know so little and the know it so fluently.

Must be a full moon coming, the trolls are getting restless.

Trolls are very dirty creatures, they defecate where they feed so if you feed the troll you must clean up after it.

Please do not feed this troll.

Doesn't this country have more important things to worry about than having to hit the delete button a few extra times?  People overseas are being be-headed with dull knives, the presidential election is coming up, unemployment is soaring...

Trolls are very dirty creatures, they defecate where they feed so if you feed the troll you must clean up after it.

Now how would a Donkey know anything about Trolls :rolleyes:

(FirstAmendment99 [at] May 27 2004, 03:00 PM)

Is this, or is this not, a moderated forum?

What is the reason to abuse someone making their first post just because they disagree with you?

I actually disagree with much of what he has to say too, but I can accept that his argument is defensible.

I'm glad that there are people prepared to put time and energy into fighting spam. I'm also glad that there are those who have other things at the top of their list of priorities.

What I see no reason for is laying into someone just because they don't feel as strongy about this as you do.

Is this, or is this not, a moderated forum?

As the (apparently only active) Moderator, what would you have me do? Conversation is occuring in the Lounge, which allows a bit more latitude than the other "help" Forums. This is not "my" service, I'm only voluntering time to try to manage things within the (still much too limited) structure. I don't see that much to warrant actions like censorship or banishment. You'll note that even your harsh personal criticisims to/about myself are still in place.

What is the reason to abuse someone making their first post just because they disagree with you?

That someone starts with firing up a "name" such as FirstAmendment99 is a clue of the "frea speech" that sure enough, was in the air of this person's post. That this person stated "I'm focusing my energy on subjects with more merit than a few unwanted emails" .. yet, for some reason found the time and spent the energy to find these Forums, register so as to post, allegedly wade through this Topic that had in excess of 130 posts already in place ... kind of suggests that his/her time isn't solely focused on all those other "more important" things in life. The logic made in this person's post were obviously made to incite some type of reaction, as the facts presented are so screwed up.

I actually disagree with much of what he has to say too, but I can accept that his argument is defensible.

I found nothing much defensible in his/her comments, myself.

What I see no reason for is laying into someone just because they don't feel as strongy about this as you do.

I don't see where the someone in your frame of reference was laid into. Again, I see that person posting in order to get a reaction, which was found. On the other hand, I am finding it difficult not to get involved in possibly taking a step or two in the direction of doing something about another poster that seems to take so much delight in making the personal attacks the norm of his postings.

IMHO, there should be no censorship in the Lounge. If someone has something to say, let hir say it - including those who like to trade insults. If someone doesn't like the opinions or how they are stated, they can stop reading posts by that person or that particular topic. The only reason a post should be removed is if they are obstructing someone else's rights to be heard or in some other way, making the Lounge unusable for those who regularly post.

The Moderator's job is to keep the Help section uncluttered so that newcomers who are frustrated are not confronted with chit chat, opinions, technical discussion, and other irrelevant material when they try to find the answer to their question.

It is not working very well since nothing has been done to fine tune it after it was put in place. But Wazoo moves most of the extraneous stuff and since newcomers are not complaining, I guess it is working as well as it needs to be. Few people seem to read instructions anyway so even if the instructions on where to find answers were clearer, there would still be posts that were out of place.

Miss Betsy

IMHO, there should be no censorship in the Lounge.  If someone has something to say, let hir say it - including those who like to trade insults.  If someone doesn't like the opinions or how they are stated, they can stop reading posts by that person or that particular topic.  The only reason a post should be removed is if they are obstructing someone else's rights to be heard or in some other way, making the Lounge unusable for those who regularly post.

The Moderator's job is to keep the Help section uncluttered so that newcomers who are frustrated are not confronted with chit chat, opinions, technical discussion, and other irrelevant material when they try to find the answer to their question.

It is not working very well since nothing has been done to fine tune it after it was put in place.  But Wazoo moves most of the extraneous stuff and since newcomers are not complaining, I guess it is working as well as it needs to be.  Few people seem to read instructions anyway so even if the instructions on where to find answers were clearer, there would still be posts that were out of place.

Miss Betsy

...As usual, Miss Betsy is 100% on target! :D <big g>

Unfortunately it's not that simple. If it were only a few spams a day, most people probably wouldn't get worked up over it. I was content to delete the few spams I received every day for a long time... until I started a job which required my email address to be published on the web.

After that, I started receiving over 200 spams per day, and it interfered with my ability to conduct business (sales inquiries and proposals getting lost in the spam, etc). That's when I found Spamcop and its very good email filtering service. I changed jobs a few months ago, so my spam problem is gone, but I still use Spamcop's email filtering for my personal email addresses (which only receive a little bit of spam).

As far as the Spamcop block list is concerned, I can say that I have yet to get a legit email blocked (though SpamAssasin and some of the other lists block legit emails occasionally... but whitelisting fixes that). That is a testament to the accuracy of the list. Do some innocent people get burned sometimes by the scbl? Yes, unfortunately. But blacklists are the only way to stop or reduce spam, unfortunately.

Do some innocent people get burned sometimes by the scbl?

IMHO, now that spam is a recognized problem for the internet, most computer users who are blocked by spamcop are 'ignorant' not innocent. For the smaller percentage who are blocked, for a short time, by a reporter or parser error, again only those who are ignorant claim victim status. Others are inconvenienced but understand that it is like getting in a traffic jam - it may not be your fault, but there is no one to rant and rave at. And if you do, it merely sours your stomach, annoys the people who hear you, and sometimes even delays the solution of the problem.

Miss Betsy

IMHO, now that spam is a recognized problem for the internet, most computer users who are blocked by spamcop are 'ignorant' not innocent. For the smaller percentage who are blocked, for a short time, by a reporter or parser error, again only those who are ignorant claim victim status. Others are inconvenienced but understand that it is like getting in a traffic jam - it may not be your fault, but there is no one to rant and rave at. And if you do, it merely sours your stomach, annoys the people who hear you, and sometimes even delays the solution of the problem.

Miss Betsy

<shrug> I'd say the average Comcast customer is mostly innocent. If Comcast is the only Broadband ISP in your area, it's not easy to switch ISP's (although you can certainly use another provider or even a free provider for email). I don't think you can say that the Comcast user is "ignorant". But I still agree with the blocking of Comcast, as long as what's being reported is truly UCE, which 99.9% of the reports probably are.

Miss Betsy

<shrug> I'd say the average Comcast customer is mostly innocent. If Comcast is the only Broadband ISP in your area, it's not easy to switch ISP's (although you can certainly use another provider or even a free provider for email). I don't think you can say that the Comcast user is "ignorant". But I still agree with the blocking of Comcast, as long as what's being reported is truly UCE, which 99.9% of the reports probably are.

...Ignorant is the better word, IMHO. My spams from Comcast pretty much always seem to be from subscribers' machines, not Comcast servers, so it is pretty clear the subscribers' machines are being hijacked. That suggests a lack of suitable security precautions, like a personal firewall. In this day and age, any PC user who connects to the internet and doesn't take such precautions is ignorant -- and arguably criminally ignorant.

Have to climb on board with Steve T's choice of the "better" word. As one who also provides support over in the Microsoft peer-to-peer newsgroups, this discussion need not be limited to ComCast customers, ignorance is everywhere. That shiney new computer, with a "great" deal on some high-speed connection, but no education on the realities of the "net" these days ... first of all, any "technical" instruction is not understood, and of course, the suggestion of "oh, by the way, you really ought to buy this also .... surge protectors, power back-up devices, firewalls/routers, etc." is normally seen as some money hungry vendor trying for yet more profit .....

I just received an e-mail from an old friend out in Virginia that's using RCN, the home of the legendary AfterBurner, anti-anything-bad guy in charge of their abuse department (though apparently he's moved on??)... Last week, she was questioning all the alerts she was getting from her software firewall (infected machines on the RCN network ... they are being shut down, but not as fast as others are being infected, damn it ... she now knows the value of her firewall <g>) ... and last night her address was the one selected for forging into the From: / Reply To: lines of a spam run, so she's now getting a ton load of bounces ... and of course, she doesn't want more technical crap thrown at her, she just wants it to stop <g>

Archived