Some spam slipping through (2 ?'s)

Some spam is slipping thru' SC email filters (SpamAssassin setting [at] "1") and appearing in the inbox of one of my Mailhost accounts. I report it manually in that case.

The question is: I have noticed that it doesn't appear in the SC trash can along with the spam that WAS caught. If it did it would be so much easier to report it from there, rather than the hit and miss method of opening headers and c.c.p.ing it at the Report spam page.

Another question, when a virus email is detected by SC I thought that SC automatically generated a message to the mailhost. This hasn't been happening lately.

The question is: I have noticed that it doesn't appear in the SC trash can along with the spam that WAS caught.

By SC trash, I assume you mean the Held Mail folder. There is also a Trash folder, but only things you put there (either directly or by reporting held mail) would end up there.

We would need to see the headers, specifically the spam-* and spamcop-* headers to determine why the message was allowed to pass through spamcop and to your email account.

Once it has slipped through the filters, you could, depending on your mail client, submit it via email or possibly transfer it back to the held mail folder using IMAP. We would need to know what software and version you are running to help more than that.

Another question, when a virus email is detected by SC I thought that SC automatically generated a message to the mailhost. This hasn't been happening lately.

That was turned off almost a year ago now during one of the large outbreaks as the reports were overwhelming the mail servers. There has never been enough of a request to get them turned back on. Personnally, I prefer not getting the messages.

Unfortunately I have now deleted the spam that got through. My set-up is SC pops my mail from various webmail account inboxes and in turn my email program pops from SC to me here. spam that gets reported always ends up in the SC email trash folder, but spam that gets through vanishes into thin air, seemingly.

Thanks for the info anyway.

but spam that gets through vanishes into thin air

No, you deleted in per:

Unfortunately I have now deleted the spam that got through.

spam that you report from the spamcop server (either webmail Held Mail folder or through VER) gets moved to the Trash folder on the spamcop server. Once you POP the message from spamcop, it is no longer on the spamcop server and resides only on your local machine.

There is no way spamcop could move a message from the inbox on your local machine and place it back on their server. That would need to be done by you (via an IMAP connection) manually.

Are you trying to keep the messages for a particular reason? Messages in the trash folder are deleted after a certain amount of time automatically. I have mine set to delete after 2 days.

Thanks Steven. No I'm not trying to keep them, it was more a query than anything else. I'm still a bit hit-and-miss when it comes to manually reporting spam but am slowly getting the hang of it. The problem isn't that great, so I'll take it from here.

Thanks again.

Some spam is slipping thru' SC email filters (SpamAssassin setting [at] "1") and appearing in the inbox of one of my Mailhost accounts.  I report it manually in that case.

The question is:  I have noticed that it doesn't appear in the SC trash can along with the spam that WAS caught.  If it did it would be so much easier to report it from there, rather than the hit and miss method of opening headers and c.c.p.ing it at the Report spam page.

Another question, when a virus email is detected by SC I thought that SC automatically generated a message to the mailhost.  This hasn't been happening lately.

Hi!

I'm getting a good bit of spam "slipping through the cracks" too.

This may seem like a little bit of extra work, but what I've started doing is checking my email via the webmail interface FIRST, BEFORE I check it with POP3. I move any spam that has slipped through the filters to the Held Mail folder. THEN only my GOOD email will be downloaded in my POP3 email check.

And of course, once the spam is in the Held Mail folder, I can report it along with the other Held Mail.

Hope this helps some!

It happens so infrequently it really isn't a problem. With my SpamAssassin set at "1" it amounts to maybe 1 email a week. I just open up the properties and c.c.p. the relevent stuff back at SC to report. I have my pop3 set to monitor every 1 minute and I'd rather leave it that way.

Thanks for the help.

This may seem like a little bit of extra work, but what I've started doing is checking my email via the webmail interface FIRST, BEFORE I check it with POP3.  I move any spam that has slipped through the filters to the Held Mail folder.  THEN only my GOOD email will be downloaded in my POP3 email check.

If your POP3 client also supports IMAP, you can set it up to access your Held Mail folder directly. Then, when a spam slips through, you just drag it back to the Held Mail folder and report it as usual.

In the Windows world, Outlook Express and Mozilla can do this quite easily.

Archived