Report email rejected by someone

labboypro

I just received a bounce message from someone (outboundfiltering.com??) saying they won't deliver my Spamcop spam report to you... or that's what I can glean from message using my marginal deciphering skills. Is there a place I can send this email privately for someone to review the headers and tell me where the problem is? We don't need an intermediary killing spam reports before they get to Spamcop.

Here's a redacted version of the message--

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

submit.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx[at]spam.spamcop.net
SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data:
host productio-tcloadba-tkyjfaz4ap1l-xxxxxxxxx.us-west-2.elb.amazonaws.com [nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn]:
550 5.7.1 [CS] Message blocked. To fix this, visit http://fp.outboundfiltering.com/?str=blahblahblah

Sounds awfully like your provider/network has started filtering your outgoing. As has happened to many of us :( . Write to Don D'Minion with your reporting account detail and full copy of that bounce to see whether he can determine what is happening - spamcop[at]spro.net

Sounds awfully like your provider/network has started filtering your outgoing. As has happened to many of us :( . Write to Don D'Minion with your reporting account detail and full copy of that bounce to see whether he can determine what is happening - spamcop[at]spro.net

Thanks. Looks like I can't even email him at that address... it bounces too.

Sounds like they're hitting anything with "spam" in it, so a fair bet the service[at]admin.spamcop,net would be blocked too - that is a domain but so is your "submit" address. Worth trying though. If that doesn't work either then I or someone else here will contact Don and alert him, maybe you can work out something between you.

Sheesh, providers! - and we thought spammers were dumb ...

This is not a SpamCop problem. You need to talk to your service provider.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

- Spamcop[at]spro.net -

Thanks, I realize that Spamcop didn't cause this, but at some point it certainly IS a Spamcop/everybody problem if we aren't able to report spam to you. I was hoping for a little more insight, and a little less "not our problem" response from you guys. I guess I was hoping for too much.

<snip>

but at some point it certainly IS a Spamcop/everybody problem if we aren't able to report spam to you.

<snip>

&nbsp &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp I understand what you're saying but, well, no, not really, from SpamCop's perspective -- reporters from one or two silly but relatively small providers aren't likely to tip SpamCop's statistics enough to be worth any effort to address this, sad though I can understand that might be to you. The "real" solution is for you (and all your fellow subscribers to whatever service is doing the bouncing) to find a more reasonable provider, one that will either do a better job of keeping spam from reaching you in the first place or, it having reached you, allows you to report it!

&nbsp &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Parenthetically, I'll add that I occasionally have this problem with my provider (actually, a client of the company for which I work) -- they use Symantec (formerly MessageLabs) spam Manager and on occasion it will bounce my attempt to send a report to an abuse address. :( <frown>

I understand what you're saying but, well, no, not really, from SpamCop's perspective -- reporters from one or two silly but relatively small providers aren't likely to tip SpamCop's statistics enough to be worth any effort to address this, sad though I can understand that might be to you. The "real" solution is for you (and all your fellow subscribers to whatever service is doing the bouncing) to find a more reasonable provider, one that will either do a better job of keeping spam from reaching you in the first place or, it having reached you, allows you to report it!

In my OP, I asked for assistance in understanding the actual source of the issue. Until I know that, I'm just spitting into the wind. IF it is from my ISP, then we're not talking about a "silly, but relatively small provider..." since Comcast and it's holdings represent 40% of the US wired broadband market (I'll agree with the 'more reasonable' part, because Comcast is certainly not). IF Comcast decided to universally apply a tool of this type, then we (you, me, Spamcop, and everybody else) would quickly grind to a halt when the spammers gain their newfound freedom. I'm not trying to change the world... just do my part to help. If I can't, I can't. :(

I already contacted the URL in the bounce message, but that may well be a black hole (at least they haven't indicated any kind of response thus far... I realize it's only been a day).

Thanks for the comments.

If Comcast won't cooperate, an alternative is to use a third-party email service provider. My ISP is also a large company whose policies I don't like, so I only use their internet connectivity, and use a different service for email. That may or may not be an acceptable choice for you.

<snip>

IF it is from my ISP, then we're not talking about a "silly, but relatively small provider..." since Comcast and it's holdings represent 40% of the US wired broadband market

&nbsp &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp That your provider is Comcast would seem to put a different blush on the issue but I note that Don did not even ask, so I suppose that either he knows and is not terribly concerned or knows that Comcast will not be responsive to SC or hoping you'll take the action yourself; knows and is concerned but not showing it to us; or did not know.

IF Comcast decided to universally apply a tool of this type, then we (you, me, Spamcop, and everybody else) would quickly grind to a halt when the spammers gain their newfound freedom.

<snip>

&nbsp &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Even that may not be a problem for SC. It seems that so many of the spam sources on SC's list are there less because of us human reporters but because they've hit SC's "spam Traps."

Archived