User reports bouncing, but ISP sees nothing wrong

jdseymour

Recently, my personal report copies have been bouncing (intermittently) with a 550 error - causing Spamcop to disable future reports. I can temporarily mitigate the problem by clicking on the "Problem resolved" button, but I'd like to find out what is actually happening.

Unfortunately, my mail host (Site5) can find nothing in their log files, so I'm at a loss to trace the problem. Could the problem be on Spamcop's end or is Site5 just confused?

Any insights would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I had a similar issue with a forwarder that was pointing to gmail. gmail started some strict SPF checking sometime around August and that caused the submission responses to bounce when attempted to send to me. For my solution, I could have used SRS, however, I found it just easier to repoint my spamcop address directly to my gmail. I tend to wonder if you might be using a forwarder. I even used gmail as a forwarder to another gmail and it did the same thing. gmail is probably not always using SRS when forwarding.

• 5 months later...

This problem has popped up again for me recently.

Spamcop is getting a 550 reject from an outgoing report, but my ISP (Site5) sees nothing in their logs - which implies the problem is on Spamcop's end. Last time, the reject message came from ironport.com - which reinforces the theory that it's "internal" to Spamcop.

Is it just me?

I'm of course just guessing, but this sounds like a timing issue to me, i.e. Spamcop/ironpost not receiving a response from your mail server in a timely manner.

What did Don say was the problem last January?

Just got my bounce flag set again this morning after several days without trouble.

Lou, the messages never make it to my mail server, so I don't believe your scenario explains things. And Don never told me what the problem was. It just "went away" for a few months.

The problem is intermittent. I reset my bounce flag and it will work for awhile, but eventually another report is rejected.

Recently, it seems to hit me about every other day or so - but for a few months, I had no troubles. (I submit perhaps two messages per day, on average)

If the report made it to my ISP's servers and was rejected there, I would assume there would be some evidence in the logs - but they (Site5) insist there is none.

Still a mystery...

Archived