Totally blocking China

My spamcop setup is this: the e-mail from my "public" e-mail address is auto-forwarded to spamcop reporting. Anything NOT whitlisted is held for my review. If I spot a legit e-mail(s) in my review, I whitelist and forward to spamcop e-mail, which I pop using Eudora. The actual spam caught in my spamtrap is auto-reported in batches - usually 10 to 20 at a time; typically 50 to 100 per day.

When I confirgured spamcop filters, I thought I was filtering out all e-mail from China. However when I occasinally report spam manually (and review the report and destinations before it goes out) I notice that a Chinese mail server is either the origin or a relay.

Is there any way to use Spamcop block any e-mail that has touched a Chinese server on its way to me? I don't even wwant to see it turning up in the spamtrapped e-mail and I don't want to report it because they don't care and they don't act... just bounce it back to the Chinese postmaster and clutter up HIS server with all this crap.

(If the big ISPs would entirely block China, and push the country back into the pre-internet age overnight, the elimination of spam from China would be equally quick. The Chinese government actually puts economic sabateurs in jail, and provoking a 21st-century reverse "(Fire)wall of China" would certainly be seen as sabotage - but that's for another thread.)

There is no way for you to bounce the spam back to the sender after your mail server has accepted it.

Any e-mail package that advertises that it can do that is commiting fraud, and eitther the software vendor knows that, or they are not competent to write a mail product.

The only way to make sure that a non-delivery notice is sent to the real sender is to have your mail server reject the SMTP transaction as soon as it can determine that the message is not wanted.

Since most of the spam is coming from compromised computers, and not real mail servers, such rejections will likely be ignored, but it will cut the costs of operating the mail server to stop accepting e-mail from confirmed spam sources, or from I.P. ranges that it is known will not send your mail server a real e-mail.

Any manually generated bounce message will usually be undeliverable, and may go to some innocent victim like you.

There are DNSbls that attempt to list specific countries that can be used.

-John

Personal Opinion Only

My spamcop setup is this: the e-mail from my "public" e-mail address is auto-forwarded to spamcop reporting. Anything NOT whitlisted is held for my review. If I spot a legit e-mail(s) in my review, I whitelist and forward to spamcop e-mail, which I pop using Eudora.

Technically, I don't follow your description.

e-mail is auto-forwarded to spamcop reporting ... that sounds dangerous.

anything not WHITELISTED gets held for my review .... ???? you just said everything was auto-forwarded to reporting ... how did anything get 'held' ???

whitelist and forward to spamcop e-mail which you then POP .... ???? again, you started by stating everything was auto-forwarded to "reporting" ..???

My spamcop setup is this: the e-mail from my "public" e-mail address is auto-forwarded to spamcop reporting. Anything NOT whitlisted is held for my review. If I spot a legit e-mail(s) in my review, I whitelist and forward to spamcop e-mail, which I pop using Eudora.

Technically, I don't follow your description.

e-mail is auto-forwarded to spamcop reporting ... that sounds dangerous.

anything not WHITELISTED gets held for my review .... ???? you just said everything was auto-forwarded to reporting ... how did anything get 'held' ???

whitelist and forward to spamcop e-mail which you then POP .... ???? again, you started by stating everything was auto-forwarded to "reporting" ..???

Probably my terminology is "layman" rather than techie.

E-mail tyo my public address is forwarded to spamcop "held mail." If the address is whitelisted, it gets forwarded to my spamcop mail box at spamcop mail.

I preview the e-mail that is held in the spamtrap, and either whitelist it if it is legit or report it if it is not. When I report, it is usually in a batch.

Archived