let my mail through!

bugga

You've already made some contact, but of course, you've offered absolutely nothing for anyone to work with. You could try starting by reading the Pinned FAQ (work in progress) at http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=972 ...

Then you could move on into reading a few other Topics in these Forums and seeing that the most often item left out in challenges like yours is the IP address in question. Do you have some sort of rejection notice, bounce message, etc. that indicates what/where the problem is?

Noting that the two separate Topic posts by this user were merged and moved from E-Mail to Help ...... PM sent to advise poster of this management action ...

I'm not interested in any spam cops I just want my mail delivered to where it was supposed to go and I did not aski for any of my mail to be scanned or whatever, now switch it off please

Right. The whole world is going to quit filtering their email just because you say so.

No one is forced to use SpamCop and if the intended recipient isn't willing to whitelist you, or give you an alternate email address that isn't filtered, you'll just have to wait until the IP you're sending email from is no longer being reported as the source of spam that SpamCop users are receiving. Or you could use an email service that isn't listed to send your email.

No-one will admit to being in charge.

Just the other day Julian told a US District Judge (as well as anyone who bothers to read the statement) that he ran SpamCop's day-to-day operations. Kinda exposes you as a liar, no?

There are no phone numbers.

Technically, yes there are, however not quite openly published.

Julian does the coding and reporting sude, JT handles the e-mail side, there are Deputies that handle some of the special issues, Don does many things to include account management, and I (and though not seen for a while) JeffG have volunteered time to handle Moderating duties here in this web-based Forum, and there are many more volunteering souls over in the newsgroups. What more do you need for identification purposes?

E-mails to the parent company go unanswered.

At this point, I believe that most of what the "parent" company does at this point is provide hosting and physical support for the reporting machines on the west coast. JT provides this support for the e-mail systems on the east coast. And once again, Julian is the guy that does the code for the majority of the reporting system.

Welcome to Spamcop.

Yep, some of us are doing just fine.

No one cares if you are interested in Spamcop because no one is interested in you either. There is no one to call and by posting here you are contacting the people that can help you.

Do you have a problem?

Can you explain it?

Can you supply some information so someone can assist you?

(tooangry [at] May 16 2004, 09:34 PM)

There are no phone numbers.

Technically, yes there are, however not quite openly published.

I don't know of any responsible company that provides no phone numbers, no mailing address, and not even a company e-mail address. There is no contact page on the web site.

Julian does the coding and reporting sude, JT handles the e-mail side, there are Deputies that handle some of the special issues, Don does many things to include account management, and I (and though not seen for a while) JeffG have volunteered time to handle Moderating duties here in this web-based Forum, and there are many more volunteering souls over in the newsgroups. What more do you need for identification purposes?

How about an "About Us" page that identifies who is (not "seems to be") responsible for different issues, and provides contact information for them.

As I have said before, I find it frightening that a company that provides a service used by so many ISPs and other businesses has to rely on volunteers, over whose language and approach there seems to be at best limited control.

E-mails to the parent company go unanswered.

At this point, I believe that most of what the "parent" company does at this point is provide hosting and physical support for the reporting machines on the west coast. JT provides this support for the e-mail systems on the east coast. And once again, Julian is the guy that does the code for the majority of the reporting system.

Most parent companies take at least some degree of respobsibility for their subsidiaries. They do, after all, claim their profits. No response, even to refer me to someone in Spamcop itself, is unimpressive.

Welcome to Spamcop.

Yep, some of us are doing just fine.

And who gives a damn about the rest?

Just the other day Julian told a US District Judge (as well as anyone who bothers to read the statement) that he ran SpamCop's day-to-day operations. Kinda exposes you as a liar, no?

Kinda exposes me as someone who can't understand why, if he'll tell the Judge, he won't own up on the web site?

I don't know of any responsible company that provides no phone numbers, no mailing address, and not even a company e-mail address. There is no contact page on the web site.

www.comcast.net maybe? I don't know, I can't get near their website - they're apparently not interested in people with "out of date" browsers and 28.8k modems ;-) If only their "clients" were similarly inclined!

www.comcast.net maybe? I don't know, I can't get near their website - they're apparently not interested in people with "out of date" browsers and 28.8k modems ;-) If only their "clients" were similarly inclined!

But on www.comcast.com they provide you with all the contact information you could ever need.

Kinda exposes me as someone who can't understand why, if he'll tell the Judge, he won't own up on the web site?

Maybe it's because giving personal information to netk00ks isn't considered to be a brilliant idea?

Maybe it's because giving personal information to netk00ks isn't considered to be a brilliant idea?

That's fine if you're running a blog. It doesn't work if you're running a company that has thousands of users, and which affects millions more.

That's fine if you're running a blog. It doesn't work if you're running a company that has thousands of users, and which affects millions more.

SpamCop has been working fine that way for several years. Obviously your point is flawed.

But on www.comcast.com they provide you with all the contact information you could ever need.

In fact, they're so busy providing you with contact information, they don't have any time left to take care of their network. Currently the #1 target for spam reports.

There is a reason for having the forum (both web and newsgroup) as the first point of contact. Having a 'user' group as the way to get help is much more efficient for the person asking for help because there are more people who know about a particular problem. It really works very well for those who ask questions.

There is a confusing issue about whether spamcop reporting is a regular business or a volunteer operation. IMHO, it causes a lot of misunderstanding that is not necessary.

There are ways for determined people to contact Julian directly. However, considering the spammers who are mad enough to use Denial of Service attacks against the web site, it is prudent to be careful.

Also, since IronPort is the owner now, if you insist on contacting the corporate bureaucracy, try them.

Otherwise, your best course is 'when in Rome, do as the Romans do' If you have a *technical* question about specifically how your IP address got listed, you can email deputies <at> spamcop.net if you don't want to post it here. (an address which is all over the forum - in the pinned FAQ even). You will probably get quicker and more comprehensive advice here unless it is because your IP address is listed because of sending to spam traps. If it is, then you had better review all the problems that get you to that point. All the deputy will do is narrow the field for you.

If you have a 'philosophical' comment about blocklists in general or spamcop in particular, then post it in the Lounge. There will be lots of people who will engage in whatever kind of discussion you like to have.

And Yes, I know that the Lounge says for anything but spam, but one of the weaknesses of spamcop is that it is very confusing to navigate because Julian spends all of his time on the spamcop software code and doesn't like to do anything else. And since that is the way it is, you are not likely to get any better answers on the telephone talking directly to him.

It is difficult on the people who are audio oriented to deal with visual emails and posts. But that is not spamcop's fault and it is visual emails that are the subject of whatever question you have.

Miss Betsy

how do I contact the people in charge?

is there a phone number or something?

This poster was advised via PM that his posts were merged and moved from E-mail to Help. Poster PM'd me back, ranting that he/she did NOT have an e-mail account with SpamCop. I PM'd back and stated that this was exactly why I'd moved his/her posts from E-mail to Help. Explained that the primary support mechanisims were this web-based thing and/or the NNTP newsgroups.

Poster PM'd me again, wanting to know why he/she should have to spend countless hours reading thousands of Forum postings and/or newsgroup psotings to see if there might be an answer. Poster was PM'd once again, pointed out that one could start be going back to the same Topic he/she started and go from there. (Although seeing how far off topic this one has gotten, are we back to tooangy's complaint that although the answers were provided for further research and data needed in the first actual repsonse, that now for some reason the original poster would be "forced" to read an additional 100 postings that have no direct bearing on the original question? ... perhaps even duggesting that this time, tooangry him/her-self was involved in the expansion of this particular Topic/thread?)

Anyway, upon responding the yet another of the original poster's PMs by advising that support was not done via PM, to go back to the Forum and/or newsgroups .... the original poster is all ticked off and thanks me for telling him/her how things are ....

how do I contact the people in charge?

is there a phone number or something?

...now for some reason the original poster would be "forced" to read an additional 100 postings that have no direct bearing on the original question?...

Wow, that is inconvenient. It's almost as inconvenient as being forced to receive hundreds of emails you didn't want that have no direct bearing on what you're interested in.

My heart bleeds.

Archived