It appears I've been blisted.

bchan

My mail server located at 66.147.145.178 appears to be blisted for sending mail to "spam traps" and has been witnessed sending mail about 170 times. This seems to have occured because Symantec AntiVirus Corp Ed. 8.1 got reset to send e-mails to senders of e-mails with virus attachments. This has been resolved. Is there a way to be removed before the 48 hours is up? Or even to find out if there might be a different reason for being blisted?

quick answer ... wondering why you didn't go ahead and read this Topic yourself, based on the Title you gave yours ... try reading through http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=1494 ... more questions, catch the Pinned Faq (work in progress) at http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=972 .... then post here with more specific issues if needed ...

I actually did read through that entire post and also went through all the FAQs. I decided against e-mailing the deputies until I got feed back from peers. I'm wondering why you'd assume that I hadn't...

I'm at this step in the FAQ:

Q: My ISP says it’s not their fault. A: People in this forum will help with information to give your ISP

Also... I did check:

http://www3.mail-abuse.org/cgi-bin/nph-ops...?66.147.145.178 says: Sorry, can't find any spam in the archive for 66.147.145.178.

I'm wondering why you'd assume that I hadn't

Because you asked about the time penalty, which was also discussed in the Topic that appears to have been sitting in the first position at the time of your posting your own 'new' Topic. I had thought about simply 'merging' your post into that Topic, again, because the subject matter is the same, but lazily took the way of just pointing you to the Topic I'd just read through to see if it needed more follow-up.

Somewhere in one of those posts, may have even been one of mine, you'd have seen a reference to a link ... you could have modified it to take a look at your IP ... http://www.spamcop.net/w3m?action=checkblo...=66.147.145.178 which states at present - It has been listed for less than 24 hours .... so you can take that, plus all the comments made in the other Topic about being a mathmatical formula, and perhaps come up with your best case guess. Also stated many times is that the 48 hours is a maximum, actual listings can be much shorter.

You'll also note that this IP has other issues that should get cleared up;

DNS error: 66.147.145.178 is 66-147-145-178.onenetusa.net but 66-147-145-178.onenetusa.net has no DNS information

My mail server located at 66.147.145.178

I'm at this step in the FAQ:

Q: My ISP says it’s not their fault. A: People in this forum will help with information to give your ISP

This seems to have occured because Symantec AntiVirus Corp Ed. 8.1 got reset to send e-mails to senders of e-mails with virus attachments. This has been resolved.

When you say 'my' server and then 'My ISP says it's not their fault' and then you know what the problem was and that it has been resolved, it is confusing to the reader to know whether you are running this mail server or not.

I don't know what the spamcop policy is (Ellen - can you help?), but since humans are not supposed to report virus notifications, I think that if your ISP emails deputies at spamcop.net, the deputies will delist if the virus notifications seem to have stopped.

What do others think about adding to the FAQ: "If you check the bl and the only reports are to spam traps, please email the deputies for information. They are the only ones who can tell you what kind of email is being seen. The educated guesses are automatic virus notifications, emails bounced to forged return paths, and a compromised machine (SMTP/Auth is common; also check other port logs for outgoing email)"

Miss Betsy

Thanks Betsy! I will go ahead and e-mail them.

Wazoo I actually did already do that, that's where I got my initial information from in the first place. Thanks for replying anyways.

Is it necessary to clear up the DNS issue before getting de-blisted? I'm using a web-based e-mail alias thing to forward e-mails from a domain [at]controlproductsinc.com to another domain [at]corp.controlproductsinc.com (MX: mail.controlproductsinc.com/66.147.145.178). OneNet is our T1 provider and the mail server is one we run in-house.

Is it necessary to clear up the DNS issue before getting de-blisted? I'm using a web-based e-mail alias thing to forward e-mails from a domain [at]controlproductsinc.com to another domain [at]corp.controlproductsinc.com (MX: mail.controlproductsinc.com/66.147.145.178). OneNet is our T1 provider and the mail server is one we run in-house.

Not for SpamCopDNSbl .... but it's a heads-up that you may find a number of ISPs out there that will reject your e-mail due to the DNS info being bad.

Archived