Where to go next?

mrfrench

For the last two months or so, I've been receiving spam from sharingservices[at]aol.com. These spam mails have run the gauntlet from phishing schemes to outright blackmail attempts ("you have been caught cheating. Send N bitcoins to..."). I am really, really tired of dealing with emails from this user.

In addition to using SpamCop:

I have reported the spam to AOL. More than 100 complaints. AOL has taken NO ACTION.

I have reported the spam, and lack of action on AOL's part to Verizon, who owns AOL. Verizon has taken NO ACTION.

I have reported the spam and the lack of action from AOL and Verizon to my ISP. They have taken NO ACTION.

I have reported the spam and the lack of action to the sites listed in the DNS records for AOL as their Registrar, DNS services, and all other "upstream" providers. They have taken NO ACTION.

I am getting very frustrated by the lack of response. Sure, I can write a filter to move these messages to my spam folder, but I still have to deal with them, even partly, since I have to scan my spam folder daily to catch false positives. I am tired of dealing with the daily messages from this user.

Any suggestions about what to do next to get this spammer gone, or to get AOL to do something? They do not seem to be responding to messages sent to any of their system addresses (abuse[at] , Support[at], etc. )

Thanks.

(My apologies if this is the wrong forum)

Sorry you're having a problem. Sounds like you are doing all that can be done. If AOL won't police their clients, there is not much to else to be done. The volume of spam coming from AOL, I'm guessing, is small compared to the overall volume of email all their clients generate (even as small as AOL has become).

Can't you build you filter to dump all email from sharingservices[at]aol.com directly into the bit bucket? I'm guessing there is zero chance of there being a false positive.

<snip>

Any suggestions about what to do next to get this spammer gone, or to get AOL to do something? They do not seem to be responding to messages sent to any of their system addresses (abuse[at] , Support[at], etc. )

<snip>

Looks like you may have notified the necessary folks. If you feel gutsy, you may want to start blocking based on IP, envelope from, or email content from. With the blocking, maybe the sender will start to complain. The hardest part about blocking, is the chance you have a blocking legitimate folks, but sometimes a little bit of blocking is worth it.

Sorry you're having a problem. Sounds like you are doing all that can be done.

<snip>

I would agree with Lking. Once you have reported it, there is not much you can do to get them to stop. My thoughts are if you own your own email server, you can put in a block. Otherwise, if not, you just have to deal with the stuff until they decide to take action on their side. Maybe you can convince your ISP to put in a blocklist if they own the email server.

Archived