Email Submission

MikeRG

Hi,

I submitted 3 seperate spam emails as attachments but received an auto-responder reply saying that spamcop could not find the message section of the email.

Is it something to do with the 'Explorer thing' or am I doing something wrong.

When I submit the same item via the Spamcop two part form on the web, it works fine.

Thanks for reading this.

Mike

Thanks Wazoo for your reply and assistance.

One would have to start with http://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/19.html to see if there's an issue

I had read the article at http://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/19.html but being a newcomer to Spamcop, I had also just finished reading all the other pages of instructions and explanations about how Spamcop works, the rules for submiting spam etc etc.

With all this reading I missed the line that states that It is not possible to use SpamCop's email submission system with Outlook unless you use one of the add-on programs or similar macro.

The "works via the two=part form" suggests you're using something with issues, like Outlook ot Eudora, but wondering why "we" would have to guess. I'm not sure what you might mean by the "Explorer thing" ...

Again, being a complete newcomer to Spamcop, I am not completely aware of the names that have been adopted for given situations like Outlook ot Endurer and issues, (although I shall learn). I thought that if I included 'two part form on the web' and 'Outlook thing' that it would point out that I was indeed using Outlook.

I was obviously completely wrong because two replies both asked what email client I am using.

My apologies for getting off to a bad start. I promise to do better in future :)

Mike

Don't think you are getting off to a bad start!

You got two answers and it looks like that solved your problem!

Getting off to a bad start would be going into a rant about the shortness (bluntness) of the replies, refusing to read what was suggested, and insisting that responders understand your terminology!

Both Wazoo and Spambo tried to be helpful and they were, apparently, so you did fine. If you have more questions, don't hesitate to ask. They are both very knowledgeable and I am sure will help you to understand (even if you aren't sure how to ask the first question).

Miss Betsy

As Stave T states, the use of a plug-in, scri_pt, etc. isn't mandatory, as Julian worked up that two-part form to work around some issues ... it's just that these additional tools (allegedly) make things easier.

There is a bit of confusion in terminology though .. there often folks that want to use Outlook and Outlook Express interchangibly, even though they are very different products. I am not sure (and I'm guessing that a number of others) as to just how you are tying the word "Explorer" to Outlook. That's the reason for the first two responses being posed the way they were.

As Stave T states, the use of a plug-in, scri_pt, etc. isn't mandatory, as Julian worked up that two-part form to work around some issues ... it's just that these additional tools (allegedly) make things easier.

<snip>

...Just to clarify: actually what Steve T was stating was that it is not necessary to use a plug-in, scri_pt, etc due not to the existence of the two-part form but rather because by following ealesnj's instructions it is possible for an Exchange/Outlook user to forward spam via e-mail for parsing.

Thanks for all these replies.

Wazoo

I am not sure (and I'm guessing that a number of others) as to just how you are tying the word "Explorer" to Outlook

OMG - You are absolutely correct - The only tie between Explorer and Outlook is my stupidity. I apologise for creating the confusion at the begining of this thread and also for not realising the mistake, even when you first pointed it out to me in your first reply. I have only just realised my error by reading your post as quoted above. It was a genuine typo in the first place but I have no excuse for not realising it until now.

Again, sorry for the confusion and thanks for all the help. I have yet to try these suggestions, (In Outlook, not Explorer):wacko: and will post a message here with the results.

Mike

<snip>

I have yet to try these suggestions, (In Outlook, not Explorer):wacko: and will post a message here with the results. 

Hi, Mike,

...Good luck! I eagerly await your posting of the results. :) <g>

Hi everyone.

I have tried submitting via email attachment, by dragging the spam into a new message with no message or subject as suggested in ealesnj's instructions.

Whether I send single or multiple spams, I get the same result.

SpamCop encountered errors while saving spam for processing:

Spamcop could not find your spam message in this email:

Included in the autoresponse is the partially parsed attachment, which I can make out both the separated header and message parts of the spam.

I do appreciate that an automated parsing scri_pt or program has set methods for detecting the Header start/end and Message start/end and its not the same as me reading through.

I am considering writing a small external application that could read the spam from Outlook and separate the header and message sections in a way that Spamcop could recognise.

What to do with the resulting output would depend purely on what is acceptable by SC's submittal methods. The choices would be either by submitting via email or by sending directly to the two-part form at Spamcop.

To help me get started can anyone tell me what Spamcop looks for in the way of these markers and how spam cop likes the submittal to be formatted.

Have kept a text dump of the details that were returned with the message if anyone wants to see it. I have not posted it here because it contains email addresses etc.

Regards

Mike

:D Hi All,

Since my last post I have downloaded and tried SpamSource by Chris Price

I said I would post my findings so here they are.

I must admit I am quite impressed, it parses the spam, creates individual emails (addressed to my Spamcop submittal address) and places them in the outbox ready for sending. I am using the free (Lite) version and support is good (I had a small technical hitch which Chris sorted in a very short time).

In other Threads, I have read that some Spamcoppers feel Plug-ins like this should be Free and that many developers ask for money after a trial period. As far as I am aware there are no charges for this version of SpamSource. View the link above to satisfy yourself.

:) This has solved the problem for me.

Regards to all

Mike

Archived