Filter Held Mail Folder

This isn't a direct answer, but noting no one esle has jumped in yet ... I posted and Pinned an item about Filtering over in the E-Mail Set-up Forum http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=1543 I'm sure you're going to say that this has nothing to do with your question ... but, I'm thinking that the deeper question would be "how does the e-mail get moved into the Held Folder ... and that's why I'm pointing you to that Pinned item. Specifically, I'm thinking that Filtering is how the e-mail got moved "to" the Held Folder ... but admit that being wrong is quite possible ...

Maybe I should clarify the purpose of my question.

I would like Held Mail items that result from a personal Blacklist to be automatically put into a separate folder, so I can see them separately from the 'blocked' items. I have set up a Filtering Rule that says to move any message where the field 'X-SpamCop-Disposition' contains 'Blacklist' to a different folder. In my Filter Settings I have ticked 'Allow filter rules to be applied in any mailbox?'. But that not seem to affect the Held Mail folder.

As a workaround I suppose I could remove the blacklisted addresses and set up a filtering rule instead. But, as you point out in that other item, that would mean that the filters won't get applied if I pick up my mail from MS Outlook.

Maybe I should clarify the purpose of my question.

I would like Held Mail items that result from a personal Blacklist to be automatically put into a separate folder, so I can see them separately from the 'blocked' items. I have set up a Filtering Rule that says to move any message where the field 'X-SpamCop-Disposition' contains 'Blacklist' to a different folder. In my Filter Settings I have ticked 'Allow filter rules to be applied in any mailbox?'. But that not seem to affect the Held Mail folder.

Your filter sounds correct.

Do you also have the "Apply filter rules upon logging on? " switch on or are you trying to manually run the filters?

Do you have the "Stop checking if this rule matches? " set on any of your rules? If so, that stops ALL filter processing, not just on that message or filter rule.

I have used filters on my held mail in the past, but always use a manual trigger for applying those flters as I like to see what is being done.

Ok, maybe I screwed up. I sent the link to this Topic and basically pasted in the second paragragh of your May 30 2004, 11:38 PM post. Anyway, here's a note from JT;

You have to change to the Held Mail folder, then run the filters manually by clicking the little button that looks like a funnel. That should work.

Jeff

I recall the "funnel" from another Topic, but that conversation seemed to have everyone confused, then went way off-topic, so won't go there. But, there does still seem to be the timing of just when the filter gets invoked and actually does anything ... If StevenUnderwood hasn't cleaed it up yet, then perhaps youll need to give a holler to support <at> spamcop.net yourself and see if you can explain it in a way that JT can either explain away or re-code ??

Greetings,

I don't have much time to look into this, so there may be a better way, but I have a possible solution if you don't want to run filters manually: Filter it using your E-mail client software.

see 'How to Prevent Automatic Deletion of Held Mail: Use "Tag Only" to keep it in Inbox' at http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=1691 for more details.

Sincerely,

Israel Steinmetz

Archived