removing email addy from BODY helped me... :D

kris

I'm going to post this idea again as it completely killed my spam.

I was getting a lot of spam.

I dutifully reported all of it via spamcop.

Kept getting same stuff.

started editing spam (show original) and removing my email addy and part before the [at] from the BODY, and then reporting it via spamcop.

spam has dwindled to zero.

This works!!!

I report via gmail browser logon, show original, save, edit, forward, and attach edited spam.

• 7 months later...

Not to hijack the thread from kris, but there is always the tension between tight controls which exclude some legitimate email/forum sources, and looser controls which may at times allow some unwanted material BUT assures ALL legitimate post are allowed.  We chose to deal with occasional spam.

a) but I HAVE lost my mind!!! :D

b ) would have responded sooner but was out and about and (very intentionally) do not keep logon passwords on my phone.

c) @Lking, you can hijack my threads any time you want and I hugely appreciate the time you and others spend here!!!!! Much appreciate your efforts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

d) thanks for deleting it! It just cried out "give me your email address" so loudly that I had to laugh, and clicked "report post".  Didn't want anyone to get hurt.  Thanks to spamcop I am down to about 8/month - none in the last 2 weeks. Every now and then someone will get ahold of it and I will get 2 or 3 more. Have to be vigilant - vigilance and persistence pays!!!  I still randomly send them additionally to uce.

EDIT I do a lot of ebay from China and once in a great while I will get a thing showing up in gmail spam that is a result of one of the companies giving it to another, and an unsubscribe actually is safe and works. Thankfully is rare.  Most spam with "unsubscribe" has obviously altered links so readers BE SURE before you try that.  You can pretty much always tell by looking at the source html for the spam.

I have shifted to removing most or all of the BODY before sending it to spamcop or uce.  There is nothing in there that helps either find the source, but there is an increasing amount of my email addy, in partially munged form.

• 1 month later...

noticed 2 things - 1. when I run a piece of spam through spamcop, I quickly get more spam.

2. when I post something here at spamcop forum, I quickly get more spam.

1 hour ago, kris said:

noticed 2 things - 1. when I run a piece of spam through spamcop, I quickly get more spam.

2. when I post something here at spamcop forum, I quickly get more spam.

"Mileage may vary"  If what you observe were universally true, my level of spam should be overwhelming, given my post here, over 1M spam reported, plus more than 10K forum spam reported to StopForumSpam.com

It is a common human trait to see patterns in random events/numbers. For our ancestors it was a survival skill to see the leopard in the random shadows in the tall grass.  Have you done a search for "increased spam"?  There are several discussions on similar topics.

Archived