no IP? how do I report a faulty sender?

I continue to receive spam and e-mails from addresses that are not valid and there no IPs...so how do I log, report them and have the accounts verified and prosecuted? When I send them it bounces back saying the addresses is not valid.

Also I get bounced messages that a sender uses my e-mail to send malicious code and I do not want charged for their actions...especially gov sites...please help.

I continue to receive spam and e-mails from addresses that are not valid and there no IPs...so how do I log, report them and have the accounts verified and prosecuted?  When I send them it bounces back saying the addresses is not valid.

One can only guess that you've not signed up for a free SpamCop reporting account yet, and gone through the instructions on gathering your spam and using the SpamCop tool set to report your spam? In general, the only instance of an incoming e-mail with no IP is one that was sent internally, i.e., an AOL account to another AOL account .. to report this, you must contact the AOL abuse folks. It's a basic fact these days that the e-mail addresses used in the From: and Reply To: lines in spam is either bogus or belonging to some innocent.

Also I get bounced messages that a sender uses my e-mail to send malicious code and I do not want charged for their actions...especially gov sites...please help.

You could start with reading the Pinned item at Why am I getting all the Bounces?

Note: user's second post was deleted, being a repeat of the first post, but also including an e-mail address. This first post was then moved from the Lounge to Help, user PM'd about both actions.

continue to receive spam and e-mails from addresses that are not valid and there no IPs

That the return addresses are invalid is expected, however, unless there is an IP address, it could not have made it to your email account (unless it was on an internal network). to get your program to reveal the source, check out this part of the spamcop FAQ: http://mailsc.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/19.html

how do I log, report them and have the accounts verified and prosecuted?

Once you have the full headers and body from above, you can use spamcop to parse that information and send a report to the ISP responsible for the IP address. Prosecuted is usually, at most, losing their account.

When I send them it bounces back saying the addresses is not valid.

Never reply directly to any spam you receive. The best outcome is a bounce like you have seen or bothering some innocent third party. The worst is you are verifying to the spammer you read and follow the directions in spam, making it more likely you may buy if they send you the right deal or adding your address to one of the "million address CD's".

Nobody who knows anything about email would accuse you because your email address is forged as the sender. It is too easy to forge that field.

I continue to receive spam and e-mails from addresses that are not valid and there no IPs

The From: address and the return path are often forged (not valid). However, there are always IP addresses. Perhaps you mean that you do not know how to find the IP addresses?

so how do I log, report them and have the accounts verified and prosecuted?

All anyone can do about spam email is to report to the proper abuse desk and if they fail to act, to block that IP address from sending any more emails to you.

There are a few places that have laws, but, in general, it would cost more to find and prosecute than an individual has.

When I send them it bounces back saying the addresses is not valid.

Also I get bounced messages that a sender uses my e-mail to send malicious code and I do not want charged for their actions

What is happening to you is what you have been doing to other people - sending emails to the return path or From that are forged addresses or not valid addresses.

If you want to combat spam in the long term, you could sign up for the spamcop email service and report the spam you get to the proper IP addresses. It will not stop spam from coming to you, but as more and more people report and use the blocklist, then there will be more and more admins who run servers who will be more careful about letting spammers use their resources. It is a long term, community solution.

Miss Betsy

Archived