Idle thought for the web interface

newhorizon

Lemme throw this thought out there and see if it sticks... :)

If when reporting spam via the web interface and SpamCop says something like

"abuse[at]auna.es is not accepting SpamCop reports",

howz about making that abuse address a clickable mailto link to make it just a tad easier for the user to send a report him/herself?

First thought is that by clicking and "sending the report yourself" implies that you'd be sending a copy of the SpamCop report, which would then suugest that the option "not to receive SpamCop reports" would appear to be not working or a lie.

> First thought is that by clicking and "sending the report yourself" ....

I think by "sending the report yourself" you mean sending a *SpamCop* report yourself. But that's not really what I meant.

Stepping back a bit: once SpamCop says that so-and-so refuses SpamCop reports, I find myself with 2 options: send an Email to the abuse address myself, or do nothing. If I wanted to do nothing, I wouldn't be here! :)

Sending an Email to the abuse address myself isn't the same as manually sending a *SpamCop* report, imho; I'm just sending my OWN complaint (which wouldn't make SpamCop a liar) and a 'mailto' link on the SpamCop page struck me as being 1) easy to do and 2) handy for the user.

No, I really didn't mis-understand <g> From your words, one could trust that you wouldn't take the next easy step, hit the "Back up a page" button, copy the parse results, and paste that into your "new" e-mail. And most of my reports are sent manually anyway.

But, what "we" can't guarantee is that so many others wouldn't do what I just proposed. That's where the issue comes in. I can't say that Julian won't entertain your suggestion, I was just pointing out the most obvious reason why he'd more than likely pass on it. There have been many instances of reporters trying to "work around" other limits that Julian put into place to try to prevent abusive use of the SpamCop tool set. The most infamous was the "add reporting address" line for paying members. Folks were going to the bitchlist site and adding in sometimes hundreds of additional addresses, most of which just happened to be folks working at the target company that would have no impact or dealings with spam or abuse, much less give a hoot about who this SpamCop was to begin with. People are complaining about the small "space" provided these days, but there was the need, and the need was brought on by a small number of "paying" members.

Sounds like that "add reporting address" business is a hot issue.

But I humbly/kindly submit that it's non-sequitor here.

I'm just suggesting that a 'mailto' link would be a handier alternative to clicking on the Email client's icon on the desktop. That's all.

I'm not always clueful, but I'm thinkin' the 'mailto' link wouldn't get around any restrictions nor opens new doors to abusive practices? Instead, me-thinks such a 'mailto' link would help encourage the reporting of spam --- which is a good thing --- even if not via SpamCop.

Does Julian read these here notes, or should I go and bother some other forum?

Or I'm tempted to start a poll, but I'm too new here to know how they're received.

Does Julian read these here notes, or should I go and bother some other forum?

Or I'm tempted to start a poll, but I'm too new here to know how they're received.

Picture Julian in the typical programmer scenario .. head buried in the process of working the code. When the Mail-Host Beta was started, he'd put a Topic in place asking for volunteers, and was checking it pretty often for problems. But, that issue has been pushed down to the Deputies for the most part. Even then, he'd admitted that he wasn't all that enthused about this web-based arena. So posting in another Forum won't increase the odds that much. (Note, have moved it to the Lounge anyway, as it really isn't a "Help" situation ... if this is bit upsetting, I'll invite you to contribute to a Topic "here" dealing with changing, adding, modifying these Forums for a better place for these things that are outside the small selection of locations at present.)

The Deputies do come through here, but it's seen as a "when they've got the time" .. dealing with their e-mail first, newsgroups next, then dabble here.

The rest of us are just other users.

have moved it to the Lounge anyway, as it really isn't a "Help" situation ... if this is bit upsetting, I'll invite you to contribute to a Topic "here" dealing with changing, adding, modifying these Forums for a better place for these things

Done.

Yeah, moving this thread about a proposed SpamCop feature into a forum where SpamCop discussions are *discouraged* seemed strange. :huh:

But I got over it. :)

have moved it to the Lounge anyway, as it really isn't a "Help" situation ... if this is bit upsetting, I'll invite you to contribute to a Topic "here" dealing with changing, adding, modifying these Forums for a better place for these things

Done.

Yeah, moving this thread about a proposed SpamCop feature into a forum where SpamCop discussions are *discouraged* seemed strange. :huh:

But I got over it. :)

...And I trust that you now, like me, know to ignore the stated guidelines for what's On Topic for the Lounge. :) <g>

Archived