Illegal characters in webmail folder name

Greetings from Finland.

I searched the forums but could not find any threads considering my tiny problem. I use webmail from work and POP the mailbox from my home account. I have a folder that is haunting me every time I login to SpamCop webmail. The message I get is:

"The folder "{localhost:144/imap}INBOX.Sent-huhti -2002" contains illegal characters in its name. It may cause problems. Please see your system administrator."

I cannot remember when exactly I started getting that error, but it has been haunting me for at least a couple of years now, as suggested by the folder name (huhti = April in Finnish). The problem is that I do not have such folder in my webmail - I only have INBOX, drafts, Held Mail, Sent and Trash, so I am unable to delete that folder.

Any way to get rid of this? All help is appreciated.

I can't honestly tell from your description if this bad file is at the SpamCop end or on your computer. You don't identify what Operating System or e-mail application that's in use, so not sure where I could suggest that you look on your system ... have you "searched" for anything like this on your hard drive? It might be something that's plugged into some 'start-up' file that's invoked as part of your e-mail application. A note to support <at> spamcop.net with this data and your SpamCop account details would allow JT to take a look at "this end" of things, but ....????

Well, since I get this error only when using SC webmail, I hardly think it is a problem at my end. I have used SC webmail from a multitude of computers (even an Amiga ;), with various browsers, at home, at work, all around the country when I travel, and the error pops in every time. Just wondered if anyone else has ever encountered such error... This is rather a nuisance than a real problem, so I have not made any fuss about it. So far I have only used POP when fetching mail from home. Should I try IMAP for a change - maybe I could get my hands on that mysterious folder?

Edit: IMAP didn't help. Oh well. Since I haven't found any glitches in the webmail interface or when fetching mail, I think I will just leave it be. JT must have more pressing issues to deal with than a misbehaving mail folder. :)

JT must have more pressing issues to deal with than a misbehaving mail folder

On the other hand, if you're the first to recognize and complain about an issue that may be a heads-up on a disk problem, a software glitch just waiting to go massive, .... it sure would have been nice to have had a heads-up <g>

Archived