2+ Weeks reporting, and I receive this spam

CraigA

Any Admins here know what to do with this?  I'm pretty careful about signing anything which opens the door to unlimited spamming by organizations and their subsidiaries, so the claim of a "signed contract" is likely bogus.

===========================================================================================================================

Hello SpamCop user,

For your information, our company provides a platform so that third party companies can perform their own marketing campaigns.

Third party companies have their own user databases and they are responsible for sending the marketing campaigns to the users they consider appropriate. We offer them tools and infrastructure so that they can perform the campaing efficiently. We are not responsible of their databases.

All our clients have a signed contract that states "All their clients have accepted to receive their marketing campaigns" so if there is any complain you should address that company (this is, the company that has your data in their database).

Nevertheless we can provide you the contact details of that company:

Company Name: NANOTECH HEALTH LTD
        Email contact: terry@nanoxynalpha.com

--
        Please use the link below to review the report in question:

https://www.spamcop.net/mcgi?action=showhistory;slice=reportid;val=6656549552

What would you expect someone to say who makes their money by providing spammers hardware?  'Our money tree said they were really really good people and followed all the rules.'  So its not our job.  Talk to the other guy.

I assume this email was forwarded to you by SpamCop.  To my knowledge, without revealing you email, there is no way to tell the spammer's host that they obviously have a client who is not following good practices and it may affect all their clients as a result.

Well no way except sending more reports.    At any rate I agree with you, I would not contact NANOTECH HEALTH LTD

Yeah, I guess this isn't world where Pollyanna belief systems survive.  So I did more digging to see if I could figure out what is really occurring. I'm sure it won't be long until I don't have time to do this either, but call it a learning experience for now.  Thank you for backing up the action I was taking with your experience.

The Original spam (I keep copies) is for 1ink sales.  How that spam is related to someone at NANOTECH HEALTH LTD is something I can't fathom. [I know, gee, you think?]

Also, I signed up for SPAMCOP because I still get 300+ spam's/day after setting my Postfix mail handler up for strict RFC checking and checks against 8 different RBL's.  I implemented this after one Thanksgiving receiving 10,000+ spam's to one account in one day.  That's an average of one new spam message every 9 seconds, which made email and that email address completely unusable.  The "new mail" bell sounded like a gas pump, ding..ding..ding.  Filtering reduced this to ~ 300/day, still a lot of time waste sorting through garbage for real business email.  My hope is that Spamcop would significantly reduce this number by targeting the smaller batch which evades other filters.

My first week of using SPAMCOP dramatically reduced my spam to almost zero, the second week, spam numbers are back up to pre-SPAMCOP reporting levels.  What made me decide to try Spamcop is I manually used iptables to block the IP address of machines delivering spam to my inbox.  I found these machines rotate about every 8 hours, but once the next batch of 12 spam machines is identified and blocked... gets me another 8 hours of spam free peace.  I was hoping Spamcop and it's users were mostly identifying these new machines before I had to, manually.  Probably the fact that there is only 12 problem machines at any given time says Spamcop and others like Spamcop are are already doing a pretty effective job.  If I had an easy way to run my own RBL and automate a way to populate my personal RBL with these 12 IP addresses, my problem would be mostly solved for my site during each 8 hour window.  Of course I'd need the private RBL table to expire IP's after about 3-7 days of blocking.

Still learning and looking for solutions.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd follow up...  When I started this a month ago I was getting between 300-500 spam messages/day in my Junk folder.

Week 1 - Reporting spam I personally filtered to SpamCop dropped my spam to almost zero.  I was ecstatic!

Week 2 - spam levels returned to almost 300/day.  I received a "weird" email, posted here, added Knujon reporting, and persevered.

Week 3 - spam levels reduced to about 1/2.

Week 4 - For the last 2 days I received 16 and 18 spam messages respectively.  This is 1/20th or less what I was receiving.

My system rejects email which isn't RFC compliant, checks against 8 different RBL's.  And now I report anything which gets through to SpamCop and Knujon.

I also added SPF to my DNS setup which got rid of people complaining to me to stop sending them spam (I wasn't, but spammers were using my address in the "From:" field of their spam, SPF appears to have stopped this.).

My biggest problem now is PayPal.  I went to the Paypal site, unsubscribed from everything and was presented with a web page which said their advertising campaign won't stop for about 30 days.  I did my part, asking to be unsubscribed, and figure anything not directly related to my account is more UCE/spam, and I'll report it as such.  It is insane to tell a customer they'll keep getting spammed 1-3x/day for another month.

If I didn't have to work for a living, I'd be implementing DMARK https://dmarc.org/ right now.  As it is, 16-18/day isn't bad compared to the 300-500/day I was getting, and results in 1 months time!

I added Thunderbird filters to move [HabuL Plugin] and [SpamCop] email to my SpamCop folder.  So other than manually reviewing my Junk folder to separate real email from junk, the rest is now automated and the time I spend each day on spam is greatly reduced, in just one month.  Feels like success to me.

Back to a much quieter and more productive desk, thanks to SpamCop and Knujon reporting services, and HabuL and Thunderbird automation.  I hope my input to SpamCop's RBL is helping to keep other mailboxes cleaner, making SpamCop more effective.

Archived