administering multiple accounts from one

I have multiple accounts, i.e. - father's, sister's and mine, and want to do the spamcop & mailhost administering from my account.

Can i enter their host addresses while logged on to my account? In otherwords, I would like all spancop administrative mail from the three accounts go to mine.

If I can do this, do I need to wait until I have their mailhosts registeed before submitting spammail?

Thank you,

buncle

Once you start registration on any of your supported e-mail sources, you need to complete the task for all .... or figure out how you're going to limit your reporting to just those accounts that have been configured. Your choice, but if you get your's and Dad's done, but report one of your sister's e-mail, you'll run into issues .... this is based on the premise that all accounts are on different ISPs / servers ... as if they was all hanging off the same ISP, you wouldn't be asking the question ..??

I would like all spancop administrative mail from the three accounts go to mine.

If you report it, then of course the report tracks back to you, and as such, any traffic generated by that report would also flow to you.

Thank you for your assistance.

I have already sealed my fate by closing out my own mailhost list. I will simply have to service all three accounts, which isn't bad for three, but if I was trying to handle, say ten accounts, and people who were not family, it would be a different story.

Thank You,

buncle

Wazoo,

In registering my maihosts, I must have missed something about common ISP's with different accounts.

My dad's account is under my ISP account, but his email extension is totally different, i.e. - my[at]extension is not the same as dad[at]extension.

My problem or question is NOW, when I went to dad's account to set up his mailhosts I find my mailhosts listed along with my email address in the "Delete Host" box.

I want to get the detailed reporting on my dad's spam that I get with mine.

Can I add his email address in place off mine, in his account, without botching up both accounts?

Thank you for your assistance, please let me know if I should be directing these questions to a specific person or email address.

buncle

In registering my maihosts, I must have missed something about common ISP's with different accounts.

I have no problem in admitting that I'm a bit confused at this point.

My dad's account is under my ISP account, but his email extension is totally different, i.e. - my[at]extension is not the same as dad[at]extension.

Ok, in this this phrase bit ... I interpret "extension" as the details after the "[at]" character, which in this case, you indicate that the ISP/host of the accounts would read the same. As such, the flow of any e-mail into / through that host's server should basically be the same. The only difference would be the end-point "InBox"

My problem or question is NOW, when I went to dad's account to set up his mailhosts I find my mailhosts listed along with my email address in the "Delete Host" box.

Now we're at the confusion point. By going to "dad's account" are you talking about your Dad having a SpamCop account or are you talking about "logging into your ISP / computer as Dad" ??? If you're talking about "logging in as Dad" . then one would also anticipate that you're still logging into SpamCop under "your" account. This is really no different than a SpamCop user reporting spam from his/her xxx[at]yahoo.com, yyy[at]HotMail.com, zzz[at]cabunkle.biz, and aaa[at]comcast.com ... all under his/her single SpamCop account. Noting here that the mail-host configuration sequence would have to have been done for yahoo. hotmail, carbunkle, and comcast individually, and collectively ....

I want to get the detailed reporting on my dad's spam that I get with mine.

Can I add his email address in place off mine, in his account, without botching up both accounts?

And again, the confusion factor .. "both accounts" meaning "two SpamCop accounts" or "two ISP accounts" ????

Thank you for your assistance, please let me know if I should be directing these questions to a specific person or email address.

If there was a specific issue not already covered under previous discussions or Pinned items, yes, there's an address (mentioned many times in both the other discussions and Pinned items) ... but we haven't gotten to the point of beginning to verify that the mail-host configuration isn't working for you ... actually, you suggested it did, but then you killed it off ... so let's start with you actually telling "us" whether my first impression was correct (multiple ISP/hosted accounts but only your single SpamCop account in use) or Steven's thought that somehow you are trying to use multiple SpamCop accounts to report other people's spam while using their identity ...

There are two spamcop addresses, my dad's and mine. I purchased them at the same time, so I don't know if that qualifies as one or two accounts.

There are also two accounts from the same ISP, except the addresses after the "[at]" are different.

In all cases, home ISP and spamcop, our email messages are in different mailboxes.

Steve is correct, I wanted someway so that my dad can retrieve his email using outlook express without receiving spamcop reports. He is easily confused, I am apparently not far behind, and I am trying to simplify his receiving email. I had intended to clean his account from the spamcop mail site.

The mailhost process on my spamcop account is working fine.

Somehow our two spamcop accounts share something, because the same mailhosts show up in my dad's spamcop account as in mine, and I have not configured his account.

I can live with the situation as it is. Hopefully I will gain more understanding of the process as I gain experience.

Thank you for your patience, I did not realize how confusing much confusion I could make of a simple situation. I will read more about what I am trying to do here before putting forth anymore quiries.

I am very glad to have found Spamcop and purchased its services.

Respectfully,

Bob Crandall

There are two spamcop addresses, my dad's and mine. I purchased them at the same time, so I don't know if that qualifies as one or two accounts.

I have no experience buying multiple accounts but believe they would be 2 completely seperate entities. I am going with that assumption.

Steve is correct, I wanted someway so that my dad can retrieve his email using outlook express without receiving spamcop reports.

I believe if you report from his account, the reports will go to his account. I don't think there is a way to change this that the user has access to. Since they are the same ISP, if you configure his account and find the same entries, I suppose it would be possible for you to access your dad's account, transfer the messages via IMAP to your account and report them from there. Alot of extra work.

A better solution might be to setup a filter on your dad's machine that takes any message from "devnull.spamcop.net" and automatically forwards them to your spamcop account. You could even delete them on his machine so he would not see them. I would test this slowly though as messages that hit the spamcop system (for the same account) tend to be dropped because a loop is assumed.

Somehow our two spamcop accounts share something, because the same mailhosts show up in my dad's spamcop account as in mine, and I have not configured his account.

Every mailhost that uses your ISP will share the same entries. I do find it odd that your father's account has something configured when you state you did not do his configuration. Is it possible he stumbled upon it and tried something? I would delete his mailhost configurations and start over specifically for him. Do not touch your account if it is working.

Thank you for your patience, I did not realize how confusing much confusion I could make of a simple situation.

The trouble is, each configuration is unique, so it is not really a simple situation.

ANd you have some added requirements because you want to save your father the aggravation. Might it be better to work together (some bonding time) learning how to successfully report spam and let him use his time for this endeavor as well?

Good luck on your request

Though I believe that there's a "family plan" I haven't seen much discussion about how that would tie things together or if there's any connection at all, other than the lowered price on the second account.

There are also two accounts from the same ISP, except the addresses after the "[at]" are different.

In all  cases, home ISP and spamcop, our email messages are in different mailboxes.

Hmmm, buyout somewhere or something like that? Errol's being bought by RCN for example? Attbi / Comcast ??? Anyway, here's another stupid question .. what are the odds that you're in the same house or using the same computer? I know, I said it was stupid, but have to ask ...

Steve is correct, I wanted someway so that my dad can retrieve his email using outlook express without receiving spamcop reports.  He is easily confused, I am apparently not far behind, and I am trying to simplify his receiving email. I had intended to clean his account from the spamcop mail site.

OK, this is coming from reading other people's complaints about how things usually work .. and some of those complaints kind of neatly fall into place for your qwest.

Your Dad's e-mail moves from his ISP account to his SpamCop account (either Forwarding to or having SpamCop POP) One of those methods should allow for some preliminary filtering to occur (I defer to StevenUnderwood for the specific on this one) .. but hopefully resulting in the "good" e-mail sitting in the InBox, "bad" stuff sitting in the Held Folder. Set Dad's OE to POP from the SpamCop account and he should receive all the "good" stuff from the InBox.

Now, somewhere down the line, you're going to have to handle the stuff in the Held Folder for him. Under the current description, this sounds like you'll have to log into SpamCop under his account, assumedly under IMAP so as not to need the cookie login (?) .. handle the spam .... This will cause the "confirmation e-mails" to go out to his ISP account, but you will have put into place some kind of filter to move those into a special Folder on his system so they don't distract him. You'll just have to log into SpamCop again a bit later and handle the "Report Now" items. Actually, a pretty sucky method, but ... if you're going to continue with two SpamCop accounts, that's the best I can see, unless you go into his account and change the "registered" e-mail address to your own, but I'd see that as a bit confusing trying to calculate whether a SpamCop was in reference to your submittals or his ...

The mailhost process on my spamcop account is working fine.

Per the above examples of a couple of "merged" ISPs, there could be a relationship. Is there some reason you won't just come forward with the two different ISPs involved?

I can live with the situation as it is.  Hopefully I will gain more understanding of the process as I gain experience.

Thank you for your patience,  I did not realize how confusing much confusion I could make of  a simple situation.  I will read more about what I am trying to do here before putting forth anymore quiries.

If you're not living together, (and not knowing what computers and Operating Systems you both have) you might want to check into a product (free) called RealVNC (though technically not needed if both of you are running Windows XP for instance) ... this would allow you to manipulate things on his screen, educational process, or you just looking over his sholder to make sure things are going good, etc. I support folks around the world with this neat tool. (Instructions are to only run it when I'm doing something for them, and use a really fine password, as it has become popular enough that the hackers are out there looking for it.)

I am very glad to have found Spamcop and purchased its services.

And hoping here that our confusion factor hasn't soured things for you yet. Be advised, you've only been talking to other users, and this user has never seen the e-mail side screens ... only going with trying to keep track of the issues raised by others that do use it ... (so put your real trust in StevenUnderwood here <g>)

Steven and Wazoo,

Thank you for your well considered replies. At this point I am leaving the Maihost configurations alone. I sent an email to deputies [at]spamcop.net and explained, clearly I hope, what I have experienced and where I'm at now.

Steve

I have no experience buying multiple accounts but believe they would be 2 completely seperate entities. I am going with that assumption.

The two spamcop email addresses ARE definitely connected. When I tried to configure Mailhosts on my dad's spamcop account, the mailhosts on my spamcop account changed. Any change in one leads to a change in the other.

You both brought up many good points that might assist someone else also, but I am short on time right now.

So in brief:

We are on seperate computers, networked in the same house through a firewall box. I run 2000pro he XP, I don't think that's a factor

Both computers POP mail from spamcop.net.

Mail from each ISP account is forwarded to the spamcop accounts.

Each account is an ATT account, though my dad's account is under my contract.

My dad's account is an attglobal.net,

mine comes off the same server, but is rc.ipmail.att.net,

unique to me, so maybe it's a proxy, I hadn't thought of that.

Both accounts are functioning at this tims, so I will wait for a response from deputies before doing anymore.

The reason I even brought this up was that I planned to "administer" the five email addresses of my family so that they had no spam or reports to deal with. I realize there is the "mole" option; however, I want help with the spam suppression process.

Thanks for sticking with me, I gained some understanding from the dialogue.

Later,

Bob

The two spamcop email addresses ARE definitely connected. When I tried to configure Mailhosts on my dad's spamcop account, the mailhosts on my spamcop account changed. Any change in one leads to a change in the other.

A change in mailhosts does not really indicate a link between the accounts. The mailhost configurations are shared between all users of an ISP. Your configuration is probably changing several times a day as more hosts are added to the configuration by iother AT&T users, even without you touching them.

That being said, it is possible they are linked in some way, I would like a deputy to remark on that. I have emailed them the question with a link here.

I think we have this just about all worked out -- possibly completely worked out. The problem was that the SC cookie was preventing the two accounts as being seen as two accounts, if that makes any sense. Right now I can't seem to get my head around a sentence that says this coherently. So I dispatched the probes and they have been returned and things are chugging along.

Archived