Forwarded Messages No Longer Working (at least with Thunderbird)

SKova

Hello SpamCop,

I have been using SpamCop for a number of years and recently when I would forward (as an attachment as I always have), there is no acknowledgment from the system of it being received or rejected. If I add the email source manually on the page, it works. I removed all of my mailhosts and re-learned them in case there was a problem. It is still not working after that. I'm looking for some ideas and help on making this work.

Related to this, is the Quick Submit something that is also available to use? I am in the last few weeks getting a lot of spam and would like to quickly report it without having to acknowledge each one. I manually filter them and would like to simply get them submitted.

Thank you,

Stephen

So far, I have never seen an issue between mailhosts and the returning acknowledgement from forwarded spam.  My question is when you login, do you see a line right above where you manually submit where it says to "report unreported spam"?  I am thinking the issue might be some sort of delay with the inbound mail server and accepting reports.  From what I have seen, if you spam makes it to the mailhosts section of the code, you will see it right above the form on the manual submit page.  If the unreported link is missing from that section, then your email is not making it to the spamcop code and the issue could be with your outbound email servers.  I has forwarded something this morning (around six and a half hours ago) and did get the acknowledgement back, so that part should be working.

For quick reporting, you just change the "submit" portion of your special (and should always be hidden) submit link to "quick". You might also need to see the attached.

32 minutes ago, gnarlymarley said:

For quick reporting, you just change the "submit" portion of your special (and should always be hidden) submit link to "quick". You might also need to see the attached.

I would suggest getting things working correctly before making this type of change.

Just ran a "Submit" test. Based on the date/time stamps I received the "[SpamCop] has accepted 1 email for processing" within a minute.

If you see the Unreported spam Saved: Report Now as gnarlymarley suggest, check for changes in you ISP's filters.

Hi gnarlymarlet, I have seen this once before, more than a year ago. There i snot the Report Unreported spam, that is what I know is missing. I have also used WireShark to verify that the email is being sent, no issues there. It is successful from the Earthlink SMTP to the SpamCop server, no errors or rejection. It is plan weird. If I manually paste the source in, it works. Just not the forwarding, not sure where it is getting blocked/dropped.

Once I get it working again, I will look at the quick reporting, as it will help with me getting these items submitted.

I'll look more detailed in a bit.

6 minutes ago, Lking said:

I would suggest getting things working correctly before making this type of change.

Actually, I would agree with Lking as you will see the same issue with quick reporting as you see with normal reporting.  I believe the issue is somewhere between earthlink and spamcop mail servers, before you even get to the spamcop code.  Quick reporting uses the same mail servers that normal reporting uses.  I am guessing that once the problem is resolved, you "should" get all the delayed message coming in.  Since I was able to send stuff in successfully, I would tend to believe the issue lies on the earthlink outbound email side.

No sign of the acknowledgement in your spam folder? No sign of a "Report now" link on the page where you would report manually?

I sometimes notice delays when forwarding from Yahoo, but the notification usually turns up (eventually) to a gmail account.

I have seen delays before also, not lost ones though. I have rules setup so that I would see the replies in a certain color, and nothing is moved to a spam folder. When I mentioned report manually, here:

SpamCop(Submit).PNG.a75045bf6731af007438698abffd9947.PNG

The report now is always on here. If I open the source of an email in Thunderbird and paste here, it processes. I have traced the delivery from my server to the Earthlink server and receive no errors. This exact same issue occurred once before. Not sure yet.

Hi Michaelanglo, Thank you, I should have thought of that. I found that I cannot send these to myself or work, they do not bounce or go out.

I'm checking with Earthlink.

Very interesting outcome of this. Started a Chat sessions with EarthLink on Wednesday and while in the session I tried to send and it worked. Now it is not again. I found today by looking into the account that they block outgoing messages that contain spam. They have a hidden folder in the webmail account (not using it) that shows Blocked emails. If I disable the delete, I can see anything that I forward to SpamCop that gets blocked. Now I'm arguing with a tech that is trying to tell me that it is an older version of Webmail, that I am not even using. 

Guess I will be leaving EarthLink and heading back into the jungle with Spectrum (Time Warner nightmare). EarthLink or Time Warner (Spectrum) are absolutely horrible and have the worst customer service I have ever dealt with.

Thanks to all of you though.

Years ago when I first saw multiple providers doing this, I started opening up the source and copying.  Nowadays, I have setup my own email server and forward all email to spamcop through that server.  I find that when I can control who blocks, it is much easier.  If you have a second email account, you can setup that in thunderbird and forward to spamcop using that connection.

Archived