Problems with popgate.cesmail.net server?

I noticed when checking my email recently that there were fewer emails - about 10% of the normal volume. When checking the routing, there were 411 messages left at Yahoo. Either 411 "new" messages were just delivered, or the email was not being "popped" in the last day or so.

Is the transfer from Yahoo still working?

My Yahoo account has been picked up.

You can check your own account by logging into webmail, Options, SpamCop Tools, Configure external POP servers. and check the Error count and Last error columns.

You can try re-entering all of he information which has shown to fix things in this part of the service.

Let us know.

My Yahoo account has been picked up.

You can check your own account by logging into webmail, Options, SpamCop Tools, Configure external POP servers.  and check the Error count and Last error columns.

You can try re-entering all of he information which has shown to fix things in this part of the service.

Let us know.

I want to update this message. I had assumed because My Yahoo homepage had not shown any New Mail message that the mailbox was empty. I had reason to go into the mailbox to test my account today and found messages since 6/15/2004 sitting in the box.

I them sent my test message and went to webmail to see if it arrived. IT did. I then checked the popgate configuration page and found there were no error messages or count.

Now, this is still only 2 people who have noticed this so I don't know how widespread it is, but I also noticed that Yahoo had upgraded some of the services on my account (maybe everyones) so maybe popgate is not working correctly with it any longer.

Sorry for the assumption.

The cesmail server gave 30 errors as the reason (invalid password). However, when I logged on at Yahoo with the same password, it worked. Seems like something is new at Yahoo that is preventing the pop server from retrieving those messages.

Anyway, I did delete the popserver entry and re-entered it. Hopefully it will work...I've got 785 messages waiting!

I will send some test messages.

THX for the info

This may not be applicable but when you logged into Yahoo webmail, did you get a new page stating you have additional features added?

IIUC, the popgate server simply imitates what you would do to collect your messages, so a change at Yahoo (waiting for a different response) could cause problems with that collection. It does not do an actual POP in the traditional sense.

After seeing the new screen and clicking the acknowledgement, it went to the normal mail screen and has each time since as well. I did not think about this possibility until I had already reset my password, but like I said earlier my account showed no errors logging in.

You did use the full username[at]yahoo.com address for the username in the popgate config, correct?

This may not be applicable but when you logged into Yahoo webmail, did you get a new page stating you have additional features added?

IIUC, the popgate server simply imitates what you would do to collect your messages, so a change at Yahoo (waiting for a different response) could cause problems with that collection.  It does not do an actual POP in the traditional sense.

After seeing the new screen and clicking the acknowledgement, it went to the normal mail screen and has each time since as well. <snip>

I believe you have hit it on the head!

I had the same problem. After I visited the Yahoo webmail and clicked thru the announcement of new features, everything worked fine again.

(I'd go so far as to say that's the definitive answer for anyone who has this problem -- visit Yahoo mail once and then sit back and forget about it again.)

B)

Now there's no mailserver at Yahoo...

I deleted and re-entered my Yahoo email mailhost and now it is showing a "mailserver down" message. Yet when I log on to the website, the mailbox I have is getting fuller "1089" messages and growing. What now? :(

No...the address I registered does not work at all with SpamCop.

:huh:

However, I went ahead and registered for a brand new email address at Yahoo,

Registered it with mailhosts at SpamCop, and re-directed my email to pass through this new address.

Guess what? It worked!

:D

Now all... (not exactly all)... my email gets routed through that address and Yahoo adds in the extra "spam-indicator" headers. This was the reason I wanted to have those emails routed through Yahoo in the first place!

It makes for easy sorting with my mail client program. Only spammed accounts pass through this Yahoo address. I use disposable email accounts for legitimate emails, through another service.

I might as well say bye-bye to that old address.

This is probably the "best" workaround for that problem. For those who have a similar situation, try this one.

Now....

Boatloads of problems from Yahoo users? ;)

Comments on another Topic (and elsewhere) led to an examination of this account at SpamCop .. and the account was seen to have a "bounce flag" set ... clearing of the flag caused the "damn thing doesn't work" to change back into a working account ...?? possibility??

Comments on another Topic (and elsewhere) led to an examination of this account at SpamCop .. and the account was seen to have a "bounce flag" set ... clearing of the flag caused the "damn thing doesn't work" to change back into a working account ...?? possibility??

OOOpps,

:unsure:

Too late now. But I could check to see if it works??? Let me try it.

Followup:

The Yahoo mail website seems to have problems with one of their mail server access points:

http://us.f108.mail.yahoo.com/ym/login?...[munged]

" Help

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This page is currently unavailable

Unfortunately, we are unable to process your request at this time. We apologize for the inconvenience. Please try again later.

Return to Yahoo!

===========================================

Whereas the server for the new email responds:

http://us.f500.mail.yahoo.com/ym/login?...[munged]

"Welcome, Tim! 0% of 100.0MB

You have 5 unread messages: ..."

===========================================

The old email address is impossible to access. That particular webmail site is experiencing problems with internet access and has been sketchy as far as access goes. Could be that the cesmail server was having the same problems on its end?

Sure 'nuff ... This is just so reminiscent of Microsoft's fallouts with their HotMail/Passport/MSN server farm ... One server goes down and accounts starting with eb through fj are dead in the water ... checking their "network status" page of course shows that everything is hunky-dory .. but a number of Microsoft support newsgroups are ablaze with complaints .... and as you just demonstrated, that the thousands of other users come back with "works fine from here" doesn't explain the problem to those that can't login .... good detective work ... thanks for the feedback ...

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe I am a little late to the thread.....

But I can confirm the need for users to do a 'one-time' manual login.

SpamCop had been 'poping' Yahoo mail and showing me a zero return code.

I happenned today, to be over on yahoo.com and it showed 2 messsages from 06/21 and 06/22.

I logging into Yahoo mail and received the 'upgrade notification' and saw that yes there were 2 email there and loggod out.

15 minutes or so later, SC popped it again and the messages came in!

Archived