Not Sure I'm Doing This Right

HelpMePls

I registered a few domains and used a disposable email address (DEA) service for each of the domains contact email addresses ~ one unique email per contact per domain ~ The DEAs resolve to a web based email service provider. Par for the course, the addresses were harvested throught Whois & I received spam. I want to use SpamCop to report the offenders. I've read as much a I could digest and then signed up for reporting. After a little run around with getting a key that worked, I submitted an email via the web form.

The report returned seemed to be focusing on my DEA service provider. (I had already contacted them to check to see if they were familiar with SpamCop reporting & they assured me that what ever came up would be ok with them.) Is there something I should do before submitting any report since the trail takes a couple loops before resolving?

Don't submit those reports.

There have been problems lately with the parser hiccuping and not getting past the forwarding received lines.

Perhaps if you posted only the headers or, better yet, a report URL someone could see if it was part of that temporary glitch or a problem with the way your service provider configures the headers.

Actually I think you would be better off to post in spamcop or spamcop.help newsgroup since you seem to know more about the subject and could understand the answers.

Miss Betsy

As Miss Betsy stated, a Tracking URL of one that you've submitted would help in analysis .... even mentioning the "web-based service" might have been enough to offer a clue. But, your description of "the trail takes a couple loops before resolving" is a bit disturbing. Implications are that perhaps the spam didn't arrive directly to the account in question??? Again, you're asking for help on some invisible data ....

Sorry for asking for help & not being available ~ my roommate began the process of selling his house and there has been one disruption after another.

I did not submit the report since it was not clear to me that it was going to be effective. I did however save the URL. I have both the header & the report url but the report does not x out my X-Resolved-to address.

As for the trail, for my domain registration contact email addresses I used KasMail, a disposable email service provider, which forwards mail to an alias of my email service provider, FastMail. I realize that it's past three days now but I'd like to make an effort to stay on top of this since the addresses were 'clean' & there are no email addresses posted on the website of any of the domains.

Would I post the header here, in this forum, or is there some where else I should do this? (Sorry if I gave any impression that I might know what I am talking about ... I've never even used a newsgroup ... but if that's where I should be posting I'll go figure it out.)

Actually, for the reasons you're defining, headers posted here would help clear the air. Agree that you'd want to mung some data to prevent harvesting ... but, please take care in how you do this and identify what you've changed ... from your "problem" description, what "we" will be looking at is what the SpamCop parser calls the "chaining test" .. basically, can one walk from one e-mail server to the next .. if not, there's a problem, be it a mis-configured server or it's the injection point at an open proxy/relay .. something along these lines ... from your last post, the odds are that you're dealing with an e-mail server that's not putting in all the RFC compliant data, so the chain-test is failing.

Lucky for me I was able to take a break from moving and check my email today & I received another batch. Today I had no problem getting a key & using the reply. I did like to be able to use the web form only for the including an explanation. Is there a way to do that via email reporting?

Thanks for all your help & patience.

Apparently I posted too soon. I went back to mailbox and for all of the spam I forwarded I received this error message:

SpamCop encountered errors while saving spam for processing:

SpamCop could not find your spam message in this email:

How do I need to forward emails to get them through?

<snip>

I did like to be able to use the web form only for the including an explanation. Is there a way to do that via email reporting?

<snip>

...When I receive the return e-mail from SpamCop, there's a link to a web page that I must go to in order to complete the reporting. That web page has a place for including an comment in the e-mail SpamCop will send to the Abuse desk(s).

Apparently I posted too soon. I went back to mailbox and for all of the spam I forwarded I received this error message:

SpamCop encountered errors while saving spam for processing:

SpamCop could not find your spam message in this email:

How do I need to forward emails to get them through?

...In a lot of cases, the problem occurs when one forwards the spam as opposed to forwarding as an attachment. HTH.

turetzsr ~ exactly! I did read that but by the time I went through several other glitches it slipped my mind. I'm inclined to believe that it was just a temporary situation as Miss Betsy pointed out ~ unfortunately it was the first time I was reporting and nothing was working as it normally would have been. Everything did work fine last night. Thanks.

Archived