"new look" not looking good

lawless

I use Opera 7.23 with the following 'opera6.ini' settings

Note that the "[user Mode]" and "[Document Mode]" category

labels appear to be reversed due to a bug in Opera.

[user Mode]

Author CSS=1

Author Font and Colors=1

User CSS=0

User Font and Colors=0

User Link Settings=1

[Document Mode]

Author Font and Colors=0

User Font and Colors=1

User Link Settings=1

User CSS=0

Author CSS=0

I run in "User Mode" (per the config pop-up, it's

"Document Mode" in the ".INI" file) with CSS *disabled*.

The config can be found under "Page Style->Configure Modes"

in the ALT-P configuration dialog.

This is the only way to prevent obnoxious background

image files from intruding. However with CSS disabled,

the new SpamCop "look", looks absolutely terrible!

Simpler is better. I want the old simple screen back.

Re the above comments: The new "web forums" suck and are badly

structured. It makes no sense to me. The NNTP forums made

sense and were *much* easier to use and navigate!!!

Back to my post:

I found this interesting link:

http://www.rdrop.com/~half/Creations/Writi.../css.tip.2.html

Julian, please add the "BODY ID" field described in here so I can

create CSS overrides for SpamCop. I'll be upgrading to Opera 7.5,

as they have added a bunch of new CSS features that should allow

me to use Author CSS mode and User CSS mode and override the stuff

I don't like.

Regarding the forums: The "Lounge" where this was moved is supposed to be about stuff that has *nothing* to do with SpamCop--at least per it's description. Like I said, the new forum structure is stupid. In NNTP, I would have posted this under the top-level "spamcop" group, where all the reporting-side issues were traditionally posted.

Re the above comments:  The new "web forums" suck and are badly

structured.  It makes no sense to me.  The NNTP forums made

sense and were *much* easier to use and navigate!!!

<snip>

...If you feel that way, please join us over in thread: "Forum configuration" and give us some specific guidance on how it could be made better. :) <g>

Regarding the forums:  The "Lounge" where this was moved is supposed to be about stuff that has *nothing* to do with SpamCop--at least per it's description.  Like I said, the new forum structure is stupid.  In NNTP, I would have posted this under the top-level "spamcop" group, where all the reporting-side issues were traditionally posted.

...By common consent of the users of these fora (as opposed to the person who set it all up but then left support in the hands of the moderator(s) who don't have the power to change the wording on the forum page) the Lounge forum is used for everything that doesn't belong in any of the other fora.

Like I said, the new forum structure is stupid. In NNTP, I would have posted this under the top-level "spamcop" group, where all the reporting-side issues were traditionally posted.

No reason not to. the newsgroup is still there and I understand from Wazoo's comments that there is a lively discussion. There are quite a few people who don't read any thing but the newsgroups. (although email support and suggestions do have to be in the forum).

Miss Betsy

Regarding the forums:  The "Lounge" where this was moved is supposed to be about stuff that has *nothing* to do with SpamCop--at least per it's description.  Like I said, the new forum structure is stupid.  In NNTP, I would have posted this under the top-level "spamcop" group, where all the reporting-side issues were traditionally posted.

In the begining, this was to be the primary means of support for the e-mail side of the house as these folks were alreafy using a web browser, secondarily as a means of support for those that couldn't figure out what NNTP was all about. The latest attempt at a bit of restructuring has already been referenced. Input requested.

This "new look" thing was done by the few folks "in charge" of the servers involved, which includes no one here. The last time sonething like this was done, Julian posted (started a new Topic) asking for volunteers to try out the Mail-Host thing. That eventually got to over 300 posts with all kinds of issues, problems, complaints, etc., etc. ... I eventually got agreement to get Mail-Hosts into it's own "section" ...

So today, when I hit the newsgroups and see all the traffic there, pull up the SpamCop reporting page to see what it was all about ... there was my notification ... Then I make my way here and see the Mail-Host thing now being repeated ... stuff posted all over the place, comments, praise, complaints, suggestions, on and on .... Hey, apologies ... there's only so much I can do from here.

I posted a new notice in Announcements asking that all "new look" stuff be placed in the Lounge, sent out a couple of e-mails addressing my happiness at being caught in this position, and made the posting "moves" .. and definitely see that "merging" all these posts wasn't a wise option.

Again, all I can offer at this point.

Julian,

One final thought:

Looking at the HTML, it seems that the left-side navigation bar

is demarcated with <DIV> tags. Could the different horizontal

elements of the pages be arranged using <TABLE> tags? I think

this would make the page look good even for non-CSS browsers.

Archived